• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad CPU, Bad Mobo, or 3 Bad Ram Kits?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rewire

Hello all,

I've been dealing with stability issues on the 14th series platform for a few months now. I was on DDR4 before, RMAed my 14900k CPU 3 times due to being unable to keep it stable (thinking it wasn't RAM issues, to this day, I don't know still), this last time I switched CPU (new RMA), new mobo (z790 Strix Gaming Wifi II), and now I have tried 3 different DDR5 kits, and I can't run at anything past JEDEC 5600. The kits I have tried are:
FF3D548G8000HC38EDC01 - Team Group 8000CL38 in 2x24GB (on the QVL)
FF4D548G7200HC34ADC01 - Team Group 7200CL34 in 2x24GB (on the DIMM Flex QVL)
F5-6800J3446F48GX2-TZ5RK - G-Skill 6800CL34 in 2x48GB (on the DIMM Flex QVL) - This is my current kit. Can't boot over 5600mhz.

Do I keep getting bad Ram kits, or is my CPU bunk AGAIN? The P-Core SP is 105, and the E-Core SP is really bad at 76. I got really unlucky with this one.

I can't run any kits at XMP. I'm close to returning everything to Amazon and switching back to my old DDR4 setup (I still have all the parts), and running everything on Auto and pretending to be happy.

For what it's worth, here's my System Specs.

Any recommendations?

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, this RAM kit was manufactured only 2 weeks ago?
1706143894856.png 1706143912429.png

1706142831799.png

Last edited:
Well....8k is a crapshoot in the first place....

....96GB at 6800 also feels high....

... ill default to this until our expert swings by....

....did you raise system agent voltage on your current kit? I'd try that... try 0.1V over where it's at and see if that helps.

SA Voltage is 1.329 on Auto...higher sounds really high for SA?

Bumping my SA to 1.35v allowed me to stable boot up to 6000.... Any higher is still an issue, even with higher SA...1.4v SA does not boot...would still like to hit my Rams "advertised" speed....

Stress testing the 6000 now....still looking for some additional direction....

EDIT: 6000 locked up after a little over 10 min....back to the drawing board.. sigh. Also, I do have cooling over my ram, a few 40 mm fans.

Last edited:
Keep in mind your i9-14900k has a rated DDR5 memory of up to 5600 MT/s. Of course that doesn't mean it can't or won't go above that, just that it's rated up to 5600. Anything over that is a crap shoot, there are no guarantees. Frankly, I'm surprised Intel was willing to RMA three different times for their CPU not performing above it's rated speeds.

If memory serves me correctly, to hit the upper ends of the spectrum you really need to have the right motherboard. Obviously RAM is a major factor too, but without the right motherboard it will never happen. The Strix line is no longer ASUS' budget powerhouse. While it's still a great board, you just don't see anyone setting records with them.

Finally, as Earthdog eluded to, 96GB at 6000 seems high. Have you tried running just 2 stick of ram for stability? Many times fully populated ram slots will hinder any attempts at overclocking (i.e over 5600MT/s in your case).

Keep in mind your i9-14900k has a rated DDR5 memory of up to 5600 MT/s. Of course that doesn't mean it can't or won't go above that, just that it's rated up to 5600. Anything over that is a crap shoot, there are no guarantees. Frankly, I'm surprised Intel was willing to RMA three different times for their CPU not performing above it's rated speeds.

If memory serves me correctly, to hit the upper ends of the spectrum you really need to have the right motherboard. Obviously RAM is a major factor too, but without the right motherboard it will never happen. The Strix line is no longer ASUS' budget powerhouse. While it's still a great board, you just don't see anyone setting records with them.

Finally, as Earthdog eluded to, 96GB at 6000 seems high. Have you tried running just 2 stick of ram for stability? Many times fully populated ram slots will hinder any attempts at overclocking (i.e over 5600MT/s in your case).
This is a 2x48 GB kit.

My RMAs were done through my distributor not through Intel.

I would run an Apex Encore but I need IGPU onboard graphics with DisplayPort. I have a lot of monitors I use for work.

I'm giving up. I've tried every setting imaginable related to memory, reduced timings, can't get the damn thing to boot at over 5600.

Going to order a 5600 2x48GB kit from G-Skill, and if I can't run that at XMP without having to "tweak" the board beyond turning on the XMP setting, I'm just going to go back to my Z690/DDR4 board.

I just want a stable computer. Sigh.

I'm giving up. I've tried every setting imaginable related to memory, reduced timings, can't get the damn thing to boot at over 5600.

Going to order a 5600 2x48GB kit from G-Skill, and if I can't run that at XMP without having to "tweak" the board beyond turning on the XMP setting, I'm just going to go back to my Z690/DDR4 board.

I just want a stable computer. Sigh.
I feel every word of this. I've been there too. Fingers crossed the G.Skill gets you stable.

Do I keep getting bad Ram kits, or is my CPU bunk AGAIN? The P-Core SP is 105, and the E-Core SP is really bad at 76. I got really unlucky with this one.

I don't know what I missed, but I haven't noticed the SP score for P and E cores separately. There is one for MC, and it looks like CPU is between ~60-140, and MC is between ~50-80. Still, the MC score doesn't mean anything. I had 6 CPUs in a row, with CPU SP between 64 and 74 and MC SP between 72 and 76. In theory, I had the worst CPU scores and the best MC scores. The difference between the maximum memory clock was about 3-4 memory ratios - read it as 2x24GB kit was 100% stable at 8000 on every CPU and max boot was between 8533-9060.

If the CPU is causing these problems, then you are really unlucky, as I haven't seen any CPU that couldn't make 7200+ with 2x32GB or 7600+ with 2x16/24GB.
I had no Hynix 2x48GB kits, but I set the basic Crucial/Micron 2x48GB 5600 CL46 kit at 6000-6400 (CL32-38), and it was working fine on AMD and Intel mobos.

There are no differences between motherboards below ~7200. I mean, it doesn't matter if you have ASUS Apex or one of the B760 mobos; 2x32/2x48GB still should work at XMP up to 6800 unless the motherboard manufacturer failed something. High capacity RAM should work the same. The difference can be in the BIOS version and support for specific memory modules.

I would ask ASUS about it, as I doubt that G.Skill made any mistakes in DDR5 XMP or testing. Most DDR5 kits are set for more relaxed timings and lower voltages, so they work on weaker motherboards and with worse airflow. The 6800 kit is on the ASUS QVL.
Since you have a 6800 kit, then its SPD should be 5600. Did you check if it works? If not, then 5600 CL46-42-42 1.10V is probably JEDEC specs, and it should work at everything else set at auto. I haven't seen other than Hynix IC in G.Skill 24/48GB modules. I can be wrong, but there is a high chance you will get the same kit but with a 5600 XMP profile.

On DDR5, you shouldn't need to adjust SA or other voltages manually unless the motherboard has some issues, is undervolting, or something like that. It still should work at XMP with a manually lowered memory ratio by at least one ... for 6800 kit, the safe memory clock would be 6600 or 6400.

I assume you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard, or maybe you checked one additional, not the latest version, but the previous one. I can't find any magical beta BIOS for Z790 Strix Gaming Wifi II.

See, this is why I'm so confused. I've never had issues like this in the past. It was just set XMP, and go. No fluff. I shouldn't have to fudge around with messing with voltages or whatever to get a RAM kit to boot properly, especially when it's on a QVL.

5600 on auto works fine, but it's 46/46/46/89/134. Feels sluggish. Latency is 102 ns...

I'm on the latest BIOS. I guess I could try re-flashing it? Feels pointless. I'm exhausted.

EDIT: Re-flashing did nothing. Looking at the forums, this issue with ASUS boards to hit XMP seems rampant as of recently. Maybe it's just me noticing it more? Who knows.

Last edited:
I have no problems with XMP at lower memory frequencies. Problems are starting at 8000 and above. Of course, I don't have all motherboards, and probably those that I use have better BIOS.

Try to set 5600 at main timings and voltages from the G.Skill 5600 kit. If you make it work, then try the same at 5800 and 6000.

Reflashing usually does nothing. It can be a matter of a not-optimized BIOS or something. It would be weird, as 96GB memory kits are on QVL.
I would still ask ASUS support about it, as everything suggests, it should work fine, and since the memory kit is on QVL, it should also work.

I have no problems with XMP at lower memory frequencies. Problems are starting at 8000 and above. Of course, I don't have all motherboards, and probably those that I use have better BIOS.

Try to set 5600 at main timings and voltages from the G.Skill 5600 kit. If you make it work, then try the same at 5800 and 6000.

Reflashing usually does nothing. It can be a matter of a not-optimized BIOS or something. It would be weird, as 96GB memory kits are on QVL.
I would still ask ASUS support about it, as everything suggests, it should work fine, and since the memory kit is on QVL, it should also work.
I unfortunately have tried all that already.

Can't get anything to boot above 5600. Has to be a bad CPU, right?

As I said before, I doubt it's the CPU. If you use 2/4 memory slots, counting from the CPU socket side, then even the worst CPU should work at ~7000.
4 memory modules are not recommended at all as then you can have a very limited memory frequency, but with 2, it should work higher than 5600.

It's just a 2x48GB kit. So, mobo problem then? I can still return it. But I need iGPU with DisplayPort.

EDIT: Maybe I don't. I just said "f it" and put all my monitors on my 3090. Whatever Driver issue I had a few years ago with multi-monitor now seems to be gone. I was able to boot into OS with the memory at XMP and run a few stress tests before it crashed. I'm still running on 5600 but it seems that perhaps the cause of some of the instability was iGPU Multi-Monitor.

I might be just switching back to my old DDR4 mobo and kit and returning all this DDR5 stuff. That might have been the cause of all my issues, using GPU and iGPU together.

Last edited:
Back