• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gskill trydent z 7200 2x24 problem to get it stable at 7200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dashlicious

Registered
Hello guys, I’m starting in overclock field, trying for 3 months runs my memory at xmp 7200 but not success yet, I have this kit gskill trydent z 2x24gb 7200mts white. My setup is msi z790 edge WiFi, i9 14900k. Trying a lot of timing and voltage but always crash in games and doesn’t pass in tests. The max that I got was 6800mts stable. Could someone helps me? Thank you!

Have you updated to the latest bios? Not that this is The Gospel, but is your RAM on the board's memory qvl list?

48GB is more stress on the imc so you may need to add some System Agent voltage.

Have you updated to the latest bios? Not that this is The Gospel, but is your RAM on the board's memory qvl list?

48GB is more stress on the imc so you may need to add some System Agent voltage.
Yes I have the last bios, but after release of 14th generation only have 2 bios update. And I called to g skill that they explain for pay attention on future bios release because they tested stable for this motherboard 6800mts, that’s the last stable that I got. Idk if have any way to push beyond. And my ram is in qvl list.

Like EarthDog suggested: Did you try adding more System Agent Voltage? In order for me to run 4 sticks (4x16gb) for a total of 64gb, I ad to add more SOC voltage. It's AMD's version of System Agent Voltage. I had to add 1.2v to help the IMC (internal memory controller) on the CPU to help it along.

I haven't seen any CPU/IMC that couldn't make 7600. Even my 13600 ES can make 7600. I also haven't seen any issues with G.Skill Trident Z5 kits. The 2x24GB 7600 one that I have, worked at XMP on every motherboard that I was using it on, including AMD B650E/X670E.
In this case, I'm almost sure it's the motherboard issue or maybe only BIOS. MSI is nothing special in this generation, and they don't really care about improving their BIOS. Once they do that, motherboards can make 1-2 ratios more (mainly the last BIOS releases for Z690). This is also why they have the lowest maximum RAM in official specs. Even their top mobos haven't tuned BIOS for high-speed RAM, and MSI doesn't guarantee anything above 7800 on two slots.

You can play with additional settings, but somehow, I doubt it will help. This generation works at all auto settings for IMC and additional voltages all the way up to 8000. Problems start above that. Manual voltage adjustments help when the motherboard is undervolting. For some reason, my ASUS APEX does that.

Like EarthDog suggested: Did you try adding more System Agent Voltage? In order for me to run 4 sticks (4x16gb) for a total of 64gb, I ad to add more SOC voltage. It's AMD's version of System Agent Voltage. I had to add 1.2v to help the IMC (internal memory controller) on the CPU to help it along.
I adjust the SA voltage to 1.435v, vidd also and dram voltage, let’s see if it’s works now, because msi did a last bios update on 24th, memory compatibility, me and microcode.

Still the same, I put the default latency 36 46 46 46 115 and voltage 1.435v. There are something more that I can do?
Post magically merged:

Idk why in memtest86 shows 1.35v if I put more than that

If more voltage doesn't help and default timings/voltages/XMP doesn't help, then it's either the mobo or the CPU or possibly both. Unless you can swap either one, and keeping the same memory, test to see if one of those is the culprit. This issue is with your current setup with the same memory, right?

This is a unique issue that can't be narrowed down enough without swapping out one of the major components, IE CPU or mobo.

If more voltage doesn't help and default timings/voltages/XMP doesn't help, then it's either the mobo or the CPU or possibly both. Unless you can swap either one, and keeping the same memory, test to see if one of those is the culprit. This issue is with your current setup with the same memory, right?

This is a unique issue that can't be narrowed down enough without swapping out one of the major components, IE CPU or mobo.
I’ll try now with 36 50 50 120 and see if it’s stable and pass on test, I’ll post results

I got on 7000mts 34 46 46 115, I’m getting close, I just changed SA and dram voltage to 1.400v

No lucky, on second test try I got error at 7000
Post magically merged:

It’s brand new parts, I can imagine that mostly bios problem since I have i9 14900k that could run high speed memory. Maybe the mobo doesn’t support yet speed above 6800mts.

Even brand new parts can be defective, trust me. My current video card was faulty right from the box and I didn't know it. I had thought it was memory or my games drive. Chasing down the problem I replaced every single part rebuilding my rig with no luck thinking it can't be my video card because it was brand new. Come to find out the last and final part I swapped out was the video card.

Once I got the replacement, everything was perfect. Don't think for a second brand new parts can't go bad, they do.

Even brand new parts can be defective, trust me. My current video card was faulty right from the box and I didn't know it. I had thought it was memory or my games drive. Chasing down the problem I replaced every single part rebuilding my rig with no luck thinking it can't be my video card because it was brand new. Come to find out the last and final part I swapped out was the video card.

Once I got the replacement, everything was perfect. Don't think for a second brand new parts can't go bad, they do.
How can I know about video card?

Stress test what, the video card? Why? Your issue is memory, not the video card. Get that straightened out first before you move to the next part.
I called to g.skill and they said for this motherboard, can run only at 6800mts for I pay attention on new bios releases and test, but unfortunately still the same with the new release, at 6800 works great!

Well then, if they (Gskill) say 6800, and you tested it at 6800 and it's stable, then I guess that's all you're going to get from that set of ram. Very nice no doubt!

Glad it's working great! Now enjoy the machine.

Well then, if they (Gskill) say 6800, and you tested it at 6800 and it's stable, then I guess that's all you're going to get from that set of ram. Very nice no doubt!

Glad it's working great! Now enjoy the machine.
Yes but I though that with the new bios release they fixed that but apparently not, since others msi z790 works on 7200.

Back