• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gkill 7200 stability issue on Asus hero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sirpoozalot

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am having issues getting my gskill 7200Mhz kit stable. I have an Asus rog maximus hero z790 Bios1501 and just tried 1801.

I have played with voltages and got nowhere. My MC score is 83, overall score for the chip sp 101.

I have tried one Dimm in each slot and it looks like slot A2 won't do 7200 stable. Is this part of the silicon lottery or is my board just bad and needs to be replaced? Dim B2 does 7200 with no issues

I have not used the hero board, but have the z790i mini itx board and have no issues with 7200 as long as I use the latest bios. I did have some issues with the previous bioses. I would recommend to make sure it is the newest.

The Z790 Hero should run up to at least 8k. I don't think it's the CPU/IMC, as even the worst i3 that I was checking could pass 7200. The main problem with IMCs is above 8000. The main problem with motherboards is above 7800. This is why all those "popular gaming" series are rated for 7800.
If the motherboard has problems with one of the slots at even 7200, then I would ask ASUS about it and probably RMA it.
Most BIOS releases are with the same updates for most ASUS motherboards. My APEX has the same 1501 and 1801 (and some betas on the way). Since the Hero is mature enough, I don't think it's a matter of any recent BIOS version.
I can also tell you that the MC score doesn't mean anything. My 14700K has 79 or something; it works well at 8600 and boots at 8800. My 14900K has 76 and boots at 9060, and passes benchmarks at 8800. 83 is about the highest IMC can get (if I'm right, the max was 85 or something).

off topic but... I have the asus rog strix z690i motherboard and only see sp for rating. Where are these other performance rating coming from? I will also note that on bios 2602 my 14900k was sp 84 and when I changed to bios 2802 it moved up to 93 and the voltage requirement statements went down!

The memory controller score is in additional tabs. I don't remember exactly and can't check now. There is an option to get an MC score, and when you pick it, it calculates it. So it's nowhere already listed. You have to run the test from BIOS. It was still confirmed that the MC score doesn't really give you info about how it will overclock.
I have the same CPU score on my APEX. I'm not really sure what they use to calculate it, but it's based on something for sure.

The Z790 Hero should run up to at least 8k. I don't think it's the CPU/IMC, as even the worst i3 that I was checking could pass 7200. The main problem with IMCs is above 8000. The main problem with motherboards is above 7800. This is why all those "popular gaming" series are rated for 7800.
If the motherboard has problems with one of the slots at even 7200, then I would ask ASUS about it and probably RMA it.
Most BIOS releases are with the same updates for most ASUS motherboards. My APEX has the same 1501 and 1801 (and some betas on the way). Since the Hero is mature enough, I don't think it's a matter of any recent BIOS version.
I can also tell you that the MC score doesn't mean anything. My 14700K has 79 or something; it works well at 8600 and boots at 8800. My 14900K has 76 and boots at 9060, and passes benchmarks at 8800. 83 is about the highest IMC can get (if I'm right, the max was 85 or something).
thanks, I put in a support ticket with both g.skill and asus. Waiting to hear back

Back