• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus XII Hero not detecting second graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-NightHawk

I'm trying to setup a second Asus Strix RX 5700XT in my system.

Specs:

(updated)
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi
RAM: Ballistix DDR4-3600 16GB module in slot A2 and B2. A1 and B1 are empty
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
PCIEX1_1: Internal USB3 port header x 2
PCIEX16_1: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_2: Empty
PCIEX16_2: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
PCIEX1_3: Empty
PCIEX16_3: Empty
M.2_1: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_2: Empty
M.2_3: Corsair Force MP300 SSD

Both Asus Strix RX 5700XT graphics cards have two separate 8 pin cables coming from the power supply going to the cards 8 pin cables.

GPU-Z shows the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_1 is operating in X16 mode but according to the manual when PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 are in use both slots should be operating in X8 mode.

The RGB for the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2 is on but not matching the color settings. It doesn't respond to armory crate to configure the lighting.

Hardware monitor, Device Manager and iCue do not detect the Asus Strix RX 5700XT in PCIEX16_2.

I realize that this isn't going to be of any use for gaming. My plan is to use it for additional monitors while gaming for web pages and other things. Then when the machine is idle I want to mine with the machine. In the long term I intend to pull both cards and build a mining rig with more of these cards. For now though I am working with what I have.

I tried swapping the two graphics cards and the card in pciex16_1 is the one that works. Thankfully this means both cards are good.

Also I noticed that when I flip on the power to the power supply without turning on the computer if the power cables are out of the power sockets the power socket on the card lights up red. When the pcie vga power cable is plugged into the red led turns to white. I have confirmed that both cards currently have both white leds illuminated.

If I try moving the ssd from m.2 ssd slot 2 to 3 and the second graphics card to slot 3 the card’s white and red leds will not illuminate and in addition the first graphics card in the first pcie x16 slot loses it’s white and red leds until the second graphics card is remove from pcie x16 slot 3.

What do I need to do to get the second card to be detected by the system?

Last edited:
The manual says that there is lane sharing for every one of the m.2 slots but nothing that would disable pciex16_2. PCIEX16_1 operates in x16 mode when pciex16_2 is unused and x8 when pciex16_2 is used and running in x8 mode.

M.2_1 can run in pcie or sata mode according to the manual. When running in Sata mode it disables two of the sata ports on the board.

M.2_2 shares lanes with pciex16_3. If occupied with a x4 ssd pciex16_3 will be disabled. If m.2_2 is using a x2 ssd then pciex16_3 will operate in x1 mode.

M.2_3 also shares lanes with the sata ports and will disable another 2 ports if populated. In this case I know specifically it is sata ports 5 and 6. Those ports are not wired up so I have my second m.2 ssd in that slot now so as to not impact any of the pcie slots.

Have you tried swapping GPUs in the slots to see if the GPU or slot is the issue? In other words, does the working card work in the non-working slot?

Have you tried swapping GPUs in the slots to see if the GPU or slot is the issue? In other words, does the working card work in the non-working slot?

Yes I have. Both of the graphics cards work perfectly in pciex16_1.

If the GPU is removed from PCIeX16-1, should a GPU work in PCIeX16-2? I've never tried it and I'm curious if it should work.

Have you tried PCIeX16-3?

If the GPU is removed from PCIeX16-1, should a GPU work in PCIeX16-2? I've never tried it and I'm curious if it should work.

Have you tried PCIeX16-3?

The manual doesn't specify if that would work.

Attached are relevant pages from the manual.
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Based on this I am starting to think that I need to make sure that M.2_1 and M.2_3 are running in sata mode. I'll have to pull another drive for now but I would rather lose a sata port then eat through pcie lanes for a ssd if it is going to drop below the threshold of being able to run the second graphics card.

Based on this I am starting to think that I need to make sure that M.2_1 and M.2_3 are running in sata mode. I'll have to pull another drive for now but I would rather lose a sata port then eat through pcie lanes for a ssd if it is going to drop below the threshold of being able to run the second graphics card.
AMD cards need PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth for CrossfireX...I know you aren't CFx the cards, but x4 is what AMD needs (NV x8 for SLI).

Move the M.2 stick in _3 to _2 and see if that makes a difference.

Also, your drives are NVMe, they are not SATA so you cannot 'change modes'.

AMD cards need PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidth for CrossfireX...I know you aren't CFx the cards, but x4 is what AMD needs (NV x8 for SLI).

Move the M.2 stick in _3 to _2 and see if that makes a difference.

Also, your drives are NVMe, they are not SATA so you cannot 'change modes'.

I originally had the second nvme ssd in M.2_2 and not M.2_3 and it wasn't working.

Maybe I should try pulling one or both of the NVME drives to see if that will allow the second graphics card to work?

Scratch the idea of using the nvme drives on pcie adapters. The Strix RX 5700XT cards cover pretty much the entire board in slots 1 and 2. I have access to the headers on the very bottom of the board and that is it. I need to look into a board meant for mining sooner rather then later because even if I get the second card working now I don't like how close they are. That first card is absolutely going to melt if it cannot get air flow.

Last edited:
Maybe I should try pulling one or both of the NVME drives to see if that will allow the second graphics card to work?
Yes.

If that doesn't work, I'd reach out to MSI and ask them WTH is going on.

I wouldn't look into mining boards, but one that has the slot configuration you need. Mining boards are typically trash (cheap, don't overclock, weak VRMs, etc)...especially if you are using the PC for other things...just get a board with the appropriate spacing (unless this is 24/7 mining rig). :thup:

Yes.

If that doesn't work, I'd reach out to MSI and ask them WTH is going on.

I wouldn't look into mining boards, but one that has the slot configuration you need. Mining boards are typically trash (cheap, don't overclock, weak VRMs, etc)...especially if you are using the PC for other things...just get a board with the appropriate spacing (unless this is 24/7 mining rig). :thup:

You mean Asus. ;) I need to update my signature. I sold the X99 machine and parted out the AMD components in the bottom one and recently rebuilt it as the machine here. At the time I needed the money to complete the move from Virginia to Texas and get everyone here and me out of a rented room. I do miss that X99 machine. That machine was a work horse.

I'm trying to calculate exactly how many lanes I am currently using.

Current configuration:
[fixed copy and paste error]
DDR4 DIMM_A1: Empty
DDR4 DIMM_A2: Crucial Ballistix RGB Black BL16G36C16U4BL.M16FE 1802 MHz / 16-18-18-38-58 / 1.35 V
DDR4 DIMM_B1: Empty
DDR4 DIMM_B2: Crucial Ballistix RGB Black BL16G36C16U4BL.M16FE 1802 MHz / 16-18-18-38-58 / 1.35 V
PCIEX1_1: Internal USB3 port header x 2
PCIEX16_2: empty
M.2_1: Corsair Force MP300 SSD
M.2_3: Corsair Force MP300 SSD

This evening after work I will attempt:

DDR4 DIMM_A1: Empty
DDR4 DIMM_A2: Crucial Ballistix RGB Black BL16G36C16U4BL.M16FE 1802 MHz / 16-18-18-38-58 / 1.35 V
DDR4 DIMM_B1: Empty
DDR4 DIMM_B2: Crucial Ballistix RGB Black BL16G36C16U4BL.M16FE 1802 MHz / 16-18-18-38-58 / 1.35 V
PCIEX1_1: empty
PCIEX16_2: Asus Strix RX 5700XT
M.2_1: Empty
M.2_3: Empty

if this configuration works I will see if I can put at least one of the nvme ssd drives in one of the M.2 slots and still be able to operate the second graphics card.

My understanding of the lanes my system is currently using and what I would like to be using is:

Current pcie lane usage

Asus Strix RX 5700XT: 16 lanes
Corsair Force MP300 SSD #1: 4 lanes
Corsair Force MP300 SSD #2: 4 lanes
Usb3 internal adapter: 1 lane

Was Attempting

Asus Strix RX 5700XT #1: 8 lanes
Asus Strix RX 5700XT #2: 8 lanes
Corsair Force MP300 SSD #1: 4 lanes
Corsair Force MP300 SSD #2: 4 lanes
Usb3 internal adapter: 1 lane

Will attempt tonight

Asus Strix RX 5700XT #1: 8 lanes
Asus Strix RX 5700XT #2: 8 lanes

What I am missing is how many pcie lanes is the Maximus XII Hero Wifi using for things like bluetooth, wifi, the two ethernet ports and all the usb ports that it has. Is there a way to figure that out for this motherboard and others since I am in the market?

I don't intend to keep the Maximus XII mining for long. I was just hoping to take advantage of a open pcie slot because I was able to grab a card I wanted to use to mine with before the rest of the mining machine is ordered and arrives. It's intended use will return to gaming, a remote desktop terminal for work (my job doesn't like me using my own machine for work but I hate interacting with the laptop so I remote into it) and a itunes serverfor the apple tvs in the house. When I'm not using it I'll let it mine and trickly pay for itself at least in part.

In the next 30 days I have a budget of $2,500 to spend on computers. I need to buy fittings, tubes and the fluid for the cpu loop on my gaming machine. I already have the water block, radiator, fans and the pump/reservoir. I'll spend $100 on the fittings because I found some thermaltake ones that have RGB leds in them :) but the tubes and liquid shouldn't be too expensive. I think I easily have a little over $2300 for a mining machine and gaming graphics card to go to the Maximus XII machine.

This new machine would be a 24/7 mining machine. If I can skimp on the RAM, CPU and storage and focus on the GPU count I would be very happy. I don't think I need a super high end motherboard especially if it is eating up pcie lanes for onboard features that a mining machine will not need. I do want it to be high quality though so it holds up to 24/7 work. I am open to either AMD or Intel. Which ever one I can get to do the job that costs the least without sacrificing stability. It's primary focus is cramming as many graphics cards into it as possible so that it can earn as much as possible to get the most out of the rest of the parts. If this works out well I am planning on building more of these miner machines.

Last edited:
My operating system was on the ssd located in M.2_1. I have pulled the internal usb out and I have pulled the two nvme m.2 ssd drives out. On the first boot attempt the machine made it into the uefi bios utility. So I’ll put my usb thumb stick in and install Windows 10 to the Sandisk 960GB SATA III SSD.

I’m crossing my fingers that the second card will be detected when I make it into Windows. :cheers:

Before you install Windows........ are both cards recognized in the BIOS? Were they before (sorry if I missed that).

Last edited:
Can I check that with the Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi?
You can check that with (almost) any motherboard. Somewhere in there it tells you what hardware is connected to each port. It isn't as pretty as MSI boards IIRC, but yeah. Like Ragu, it's in there! :p

EDIT: Tool -> Graphics card info -> GPU Post

It detects the second card. I really like how AMD set up their software too. You can monitor both cards in the metrics, set the performance settings individually. This is great. I have a lot to setup but for now I’m going to grab dinner and see how it does mining for a while.

image.jpg

Back