• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC freezing for a second, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ahatess

Hi all,

So my quite recent build keeps freezing for a second or so - static noise from the headphones or speakers, fps drop, lagging. It's mostly while playing AAA games, but some times happens while browsing internet.

I have reinstalled all drivers, used DDU as well. GPU and CPU does not seem to be overheating while playing max graphics at 1440p, GPU is around 50 degrees Celcius, CPU hottest I've seen was 77 degrees.

Diagnosed RAM, all seems fine, same with SSD. Also, MSI afterburner ODS shows that Voltage is limited (in green color, which I assume means GPU voltage).

PC specs:

CPU Intel core I7 13700 KF
GPU Asus TUF gaming 4070 TI
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 Gaming X AX
SSD WD 1 TB PCIe Gen 4 M.2 4900/5150 MB/s
RAM Kingston Fury 32 gb DDR5 6000 MHz (2x16)
PSU Gigabyte 850 W, 80 PLUS Gold

Last edited:
Audio driver? If you're using the one from Gigabyte maybe try another version perhaps direct from Realtek

Audio driver? If you're using the one from Gigabyte maybe try another version perhaps direct from Realtek
It is from Realtek, and it's not only sound, the whole system freezes, video and sound, like a few minor freezes really fast within 1-2 seconds.

For things like this, it's easier to reinstall your OS then to mess around. You've tried the basics.

Have you seen any specific activity in the task manager, maybe an antivirus?

First:
:welcome:

The reason the @Trap05 is suggesting that you ensure your audio drivers are up to date (or back dated if need be) is because audio drivers can cause *all* of the issues you reported. Not just the audio portion. It's not common but it does happen and is important to check.

Don't forget to check the event viewer in Windows to see if it points to a group of errors. Who knows what direction that could take you.

Another avenue for me revolves around your PSU. 850 watt may *NOT* be enough especially when full bore AAA games. Sesonic's web page suggests a 1,000 watt PSU compared the the 850 that you currently have. However, PC Builds' web page states that you only need 467 watts which means you are in a great position PSU wise. outervision.com has what I think is a better calculation of 657 watts which puts your PSU in the perfect position.

The second part of that is the age of your current PSU. As it gets older, it outputs less.

So that points me to reseating. Try turning your machine off and making sure you take your machine somewhere where you are less likely to zap parts with static. (Note: Some componants will blow with more than 3 volts. You don't even feel static until around 30,000 volts. Don't fool yourself about static. Take each slotted part out and place it back in. GPU, RAM, what ever other cards you have installed. Also reseat all power cables. Unplug them all and plug them back in.

You have an uncommon issue which may take an uncommon solution.

I've been thinking on this for a bit now. Do you have both of the 8-pin CPU power lines connected? They are in the top left of the board. Missing those could cause similar issues under power and when web browsing.

For things like this, it's easier to reinstall your OS then to mess around. You've tried the basics.

Have you seen any specific activity in the task manager, maybe an antivirus?
Yes, I've tried both Windows 10 and 11, reinstalled as well. Antivirus and no antivirus, still the same thing.

I've been thinking on this for a bit now. Do you have both of the 8-pin CPU power lines connected? They are in the top left of the board. Missing those could cause similar issues under power and when web browsing.
Hi,

Well I was suspecting the PSU as well, but I also checked outervision.com and the wattage seemed fine. These components were bought in January, but I don't know for how long they have been sitting on a shelf (if that makes a difference). I'll check the audio drivers once more, though I'm pretty certain everything is up to date, since it's one of the easiest things to check and update. Regarding the CPU connectors to MB, at first I had both 8 pin connectors connected and I also had the same problem, then I read somewhere that one should be enough unless you have overclocked I9, so I left only one connected, but it didn't affect this issue.

I'll try a different place, it could be that the table is causing the shortage.

And the next step is to take everything apart and reconnect again, so far I've done GPU, CPU + thermal paste + cooler (two different kinds), RAM - changing slots for dual channel back and forth.

Also, I've tried overclocking GPU, changing the voltage, curve editor to undervolt the GPU with MSI afterburner, different XMP profiles for RAM and disabling, enabling all 16 CPU cores to be working at all times, taking CPU V core to 1.350V and setting it back to default in the BIOS. None of these changes made any difference when it comes to this issue. Now everything is back to default settings.

I'll record the issue today and upload it, since it's pretty difficult to describe it in words.

Thank you a lot for the input!

Nvidia drivers have several outstanding issues with the new gen cards, some of them are audio issues and screen blackouts, before you try changing anything hardware-wise may I suggest you DDU and install the last known stable-ish versions and see if the problems continue? 528.02 or 528.24 should do the trick?

It's a sanity check for me as well, I've been having issues with every single driver version above those except 532.03 so far o_O

Missing those could cause similar issues under power and when web browsing.
FYI, the manual tells you one is required. I don't recall a board with two that requires both for stability.

Side note, 850W is PLENTY for that system. Not sure what pipe Seasonic is smoking from, lol. If I can run a 13900k and 4090 on the same wattage (a Seasonic no less, lol), he's fine with lesser hardware. Now, that doesn't mean his PSU isn't the issue, but wattage-wise, it's easily ok. I think my system peaked at ~650W (at the wall) over MONTHS of use.

Back