• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO with 6700k overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, think before you buy... are you gaming across 2 monitors? If so, i take it they are mmos or rts or something, yes? I ask as gaming across two monitors for fps is silly due to bezel in the middle of your FOV. So if yoy are not gaming across them, no need for a high hz monitor. ;)

Well, think before you buy... are you gaming across 2 monitors? If so, i take it they are mmos or rts or something, yes? I ask as gaming across two monitors for fps is silly due to bezel in the middle of your FOV. So if yoy are not gaming across them, no need for a high hz monitor. ;)

You're absolutely right. Dual 1440 gaming monitors would be a waste. I only use a single screen to game. I stick with first-person-shooter games lol.

Btw, sold my 6700k build for $600 without my 750D case to a close friend. Sold my Asus Strix GTX1080 for $300 on craigslist. Wow, you guys should have seens how many texts i got within half an hour of posting that card up for sale. Its about $500-550 brand new, so i figured $300 would be a more than fair price. Sold that and got the Asus Strix GTX1080 TI for $720. So altogether, I bought my 27" Dell 1440p 144hz 1ms GSYNC monitor for $480 and GTX1080 TI for $720, and I got $900 for my old PC build. Altogether, i spent $300 out of pocket for a new monitor and upgraded my GPU :) NOW, I am DONE!!! I love my setup, I love gaming on thie new monitor, its awesome. And the new graphics card is great. No problems whatsoever. I'm getting about 140-150 FPS when I play Overwatch. But the best thing about the GPU and monitor is when playing RPG like Final Fantasy or something. Not my kind of game but the graphics are AMAZING.

The only thing I might do in the future is custom water cooling, like i said, for the CPU, GPU, and maybe 960 Evo drive. And also, i may get another 500gb 960 evo, so i dont need my 1tb hdd. I would of just ghotten the 1tb 960 Evo now that i think about it so i can just use 1 drive. Simple and not confusing, lol. Regardless, 500gb is plenty as after I'm done watching a movie that i download from torrent sites, I delete them. My 960 Evo shows it has 465GB of free space and I have 405GB of free space so, really, i can just use my 960 evo as my only drive.

Thats Earthdog. It wopuld be awesome to have another one of the 27" gaming monitor, but theres no point, unless im using them both to game, which i dont, Id be better off sticking with the 24" Asus 1080p 144hz 1ms gaming monitor. Thats a great monitor for gaming and its only about $200-$250. Here's the link to the monitor https://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-1920...qid=1494360155&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+144hz+1ms

My GTX1080 maxed out that monitor, obviously, but still, that monitor is worth every dollar. Watch out for sales, that monitor goes as low as $200 on amazon, newegg, and bestbuy. And I know A LOT of people who have that monitor. Only thing i wished it had was GSYNC, but no biggie.

Thanks all.

And I dont plan on OCing my GTX1080 TI. I got the non-OC version, but i found out that the OC version is basically like buying a cpu on silicon lottery. That just means the OC version can get to that particular speed. And the specs are so similar, it doesnt even matter. I just like Asus and ever since i got the asus strix 1080, i just figured id stick with Asus strix for the 1080 TI as ive never had a problem with it.

Sounds like you are having a good time with the new Rig and recouping a lot of the cost.:) I just updated my Bios for the 7th generation Intel processor, the Bios layout is the new look of the Gigabyte Z270 Bios and some nice new features like smart fan 5, speed shift, I don't know if I will upgrade my processor for only 200-300 Mhz improvement. I like new things however it's hard to justify if I need to go with new water cooling for only 200-300Mhz, I would need a larger case also. I would be sold if overclocked kaby lake ran cooler than sky lake at the same clock.

Sounds like you are having a good time with the new Rig and recouping a lot of the cost.:) I just updated my Bios for the 7th generation Intel processor, the Bios layout is the new look of the Gigabyte Z270 Bios and some nice new features like smart fan 5, speed shift, I don't know if I will upgrade my processor for only 200-300 Mhz improvement. I like new things however it's hard to justify if I need to go with new water cooling for only 200-300Mhz, I would need a larger case also. I would be sold if overclocked kaby lake ran cooler than sky lake at the same clock.

Agreed. And yes, glad i got what i did for my 6700k build. A new case and watercooler for 200-300mhz def isnt worth it imo.Might as well get the 7700k and have hyper-threading for about the same price and you can stick with your cooling and case.

Hey everyone, just wanted to say whats up. You guys all helped me build my first computer and its still running like a champ. I dont know if i told you guys but i ended up selling my g=asus strix gtx 1080 for $350 since it was only $550 brand new. I dont play games, i just post a price that i know im gonna get and thats exactly what im gonna get, and it was gone in less than an hour. He also bought my a spare 128gb ssd for 50 bucks so i got 400 off that, and bought the asus strix 1080 ti Non OC version again. The OC version is basically like winning the silicon lottery from what i hear and from the FPS im getting and the benchmarks especially on a 1440 144hz 27inch dell gsync monitor, i think its perfect. I had a spare asus monitor that my boy gaveme but it just went out. It was a Asus PG221 LOL. I see a monitor right now at microcenter by my house and i cant seem to get that price out of my head. The 24.5" Acer Predator Full HD 1MS 240HZ!!!! Youll never guess the price, its pretty unbeatable right now. heres the link to the moniotor for best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-pr...d-gsync-monitor-black/5793532.p?skuId=5793532. Microcenter is selling it brand new for $430. Dont get me wrong, my 1440 144hz 27" monitor is great and all but im already used to it and i figured getting a 165hz 1440 monitor wouldnt yield a big difference, neither would 180hz, so when I saw that, I was shocked, i reserved it at microcenter, just incase so itll be there if i do decide to go for it. I would love to get the new 4k 200hz monitor by Asus or Acer but $1k for a monitor is out of the question right now lol. The asus swift 25" 240hz 1080 is about 560-570 right now, and the benq is 499, Ive never seen the 240hz under 500. They allso have a 27" but i dont think 1080 would look good on a 27, and yes ive seen it before. I definitely dont need another 1440p monitor sinceit would be the same so itseither go 1080 and 240hz, or go 4k 1ms monitor thats 30" or over and at least 144hz but like i said, thats gonna cost alot. Lemme know what yuou guys think. If you think i should just get a 200 dollar 144hz 1ms 1080 monitor as my second monitor, and save up for the 4k, then thats what ill do. Lmk, cause that monitor is going out of stock everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, if i get a 4k Gsync monitor, then the refresh rate would depend on my GPU, is that right?

If you don't play games then there is no need for Gsync monitor or a Graphics card, the CPU IGPU will handle Video just fine.:) Gsync syncs the monitor refresh rate with Nvidia Video Card during gaming.

Last edited:
If you don't play games then there is no need for Gsync monitor or a Graphics card, the CPU IGPU will handle Video just fine.:) Gsync syncs the monitor refresh rate with Nvidia Video Card during gaming.

I game everyday bro :) Im waiting for Destiny 2. FPS and driving games is what got me into building these type of PCs.

Yeah after grettiong the 21440 dell gsync monitor ill always get a gsync monitor.

Btw, if i get a 4k Gsync monitor, then the refresh rate would depend on my GPU, is that right?

The refresh rate on a Gsync monitor is set by the FPS originating from the GPU, the lowest the monitor MHz will go down to is 30 FPS/Hz. You can see it working in the Video I posted above.

I did not think you had a Gsync monitor already since it looked like you were kind of asking how it works?:)

Here is a old article on how it works.

With a G-Sync enabled display, when the monitor is done drawing the current frame it waits until the GPU has another one ready for display before starting the next draw process. The delay is controlled purely by playing with the VBLANK interval.

You can only do so much with VBLANK manipulation though. In present implementations the longest NVIDIA can hold a single frame is 33.3ms (30Hz). If the next frame isn’t ready by then, the G-Sync module will tell the display to redraw the last frame. The upper bound is limited by the panel/TCON at this point, with the only G-Sync monitor available today going as high as 6.94ms (144Hz). NVIDIA made it a point to mention that the 144Hz limitation isn’t a G-Sync limit, but a panel limit. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Last edited:
The refresh rate on a Gsync monitor is set by the FPS originating from the GPU, the lowest the monitor MHz will go down to is 30 FPS/Hz. You can see it working in the Video I posted above.

I did not think you had a Gsync monitor already since it looked like you were kind of asking how it works?:)

With a G-Sync enabled display, when the monitor is done drawing the current frame it waits until the GPU has another one ready for display before starting the next draw process. The delay is controlled purely by playing with the VBLANK interval.

You can only do so much with VBLANK manipulation though. In present implementations the longest NVIDIA can hold a single frame is 33.3ms (30Hz). If the next frame isn’t ready by then, the G-Sync module will tell the display to redraw the last frame. The upper bound is limited by the panel/TCON at this point, with the only G-Sync monitor available today going as high as 6.94ms (144Hz). NVIDIA made it a point to mention that the 144Hz limitation isn’t a G-Sync limit, but a panel limit. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Nope, my monitor has G-Sync :) Love it. I don't understand the complete details of how it works but i do know that GSYNC syncs with your Nvidia graphics card so even though the monitor has its specs and limits, the GSYNC will push it past its limits if your GPU is one that has higher specs than what the monitor has, which im sure my asus strix 1080 ti has. I'm loving the graphics on my monitor. I decided not to go back a step and go 1080p even if it is 240hz. From what i hear, resoltiion is more important than the hz especially if the monitor is at least 144hz which is what my dell 27"1440p monitor is.

Btw, just did a BIOS update on my Asus Hero IX. New BIOS came out 2-3 days ago. Love the faster boot times since the Hero Mobo has that safe SMART test that checks the CPU, RAM, and GPU before booting, but with the new BIOS update, it boots up even faster. Ran realbench and set my OC settings back up to 5ghz at 1.345v, ram is set to XMP @ 3200mhz @ 1.35v. My GPU, i used Asus GPU Tweak to OC it, and I flashed my GPU with the XOC VBIOS so no voltage limitor, not like im going for crazy OC anyways, but i dont have to worry about the voltage. So my Asus Strix 1080 TI non-OC version is set at 1793mhz clock speed, and memory is at 11210mhz. I know the memory isnt too high but when i used furmark to stress test it, going higher didnt yield a higher score or fps, so i kept it where it was. When playing Overwatch, Im at around 130-180fps when gaming on 1440 which is great, and GSYNC is always on so no screen tears or lagging, etc. It's perfect. If i do get another monitor, i will just get a regular dell 27" monitor. Like Earthdog said, im not gaming across 2 monitors, so why buy another gaming monitor when the one i have works fine. You guys are great and saved me a lot of money, thank you. Hope everyone is doing well.

Also when i stress tested with real bench, my cpu core voltage is set at 1.345v and on HWMonitor it says, 1.344v average and max is 1.36v, so Im thinking 1.345 is perfect since its usually on 1.344v, and im also guessing 1.36v is the highest i would be able to go to and keep it stable. I have no intentions of going higher than 5ghz. This PC is fast enough. On userbenchmark.com, im in the 98th percentile on my CPU and 90th percentile for my GPU. On Gaming, its at 150%, on Desktop, its at 163%, and for workstation it's at 129%. All components are performing "way above expectations" all in the 80th percentile or higher except ram which is at 61st percentile. People have OC my ram to 3600mhz without a problem but i dont see any need in that and i dont want to mess with it. It's been working perfect on XMP setting and 400mhz for RAM is not going to make a difference except in benchmarks.

Thanks again everyone.

Need some help. I was trying to overclock my asus strix gtx 1080 ti NON OC version, and i flashed it with the XOC bios. It runs fine but i can only go up about 15-20mhz past the OC version. Ive been trying everything and looking up the original VBIOS for my card. I found it but i dont know how to reflash it. Can someone please help me out to reflash my asus strix gtx 1080 ti 11gb gaming GPU back to the stock VBIOS?

My other option is buy another one on amazon and return this one, but i hear its not a big deal but somehow im having a hard time getting it to go back to the stock vbios. I can get it to the stock OC version bios and the XOC vbios but thats it. this is my card https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING/HelpDesk/

Any help would be appreciated.

Need some help. I was trying to overclock my asus strix gtx 1080 ti NON OC version, and i flashed it with the XOC bios. It runs fine but i can only go up about 15-20mhz past the OC version. Ive been trying everything and looking up the original VBIOS for my card. I found it but i dont know how to reflash it. Can someone please help me out to reflash my asus strix gtx 1080 ti 11gb gaming GPU back to the stock VBIOS?

My other option is buy another one on amazon and return this one, but i hear its not a big deal but somehow im having a hard time getting it to go back to the stock vbios. I can get it to the stock OC version bios and the XOC vbios but thats it. this is my card https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-11G-GAMING/HelpDesk/

Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191621/asus-gtx1080ti-11264-170328

Hey Wingman, I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but you helped me out a lot when I did my Asus Hero IX/7700K build earlier this year, plus overclocking the CPU. Well, here's the link if you forgot, but ive been having a problem for a while now. I wouldnt really say its a problem as i can still play games and my Asus Strix GTX 1080TI non-OC version is actually running on the OC version, so i was wondering if you can help me out. I tried almost everything to try and flash the VBIOS back to the stock one but it stays on the OC version one. It doesnt cause any problems, but for overclocking, it does because the OC VBIOS is pretty much maxed out already and I bought the non-OC version so that I would be able to do it myself. I just dont know how to use that program, NVFLASH. I really dont want to send it to Asus for them because they will probably charge me and i will be without a GPU for a while, plus, flashing my motherboards BIOS was very simple and flashing back was simple as well, so I can't see the VBIOS to be that difficult. If you have time, would you please, help me out and point me in the right direction. I watched the video on that site, I downloaded the correct VBIOS and put it in my hard drive(C:) with NVFLASH and i just cant get it to work. So just to be clear, its not broken or anything, it runs on any mode i put it on, on GPUTWEAK, plus I can OC a little bit, like 35mhz over the OC MODE and like 100mhz on memery, but i just want to get it back to the stock VBIOS that it came with.

Thanks for your time, i hope you are doing well.

Regards,

Jordan

Hey Wingman, I'm not sure if you remember me or not, but you helped me out a lot when I did my Asus Hero IX/7700K build earlier this year, plus overclocking the CPU. Well, here's the link if you forgot, but ive been having a problem for a while now. I wouldnt really say its a problem as i can still play games and my Asus Strix GTX 1080TI non-OC version is actually running on the OC version, so i was wondering if you can help me out. I tried almost everything to try and flash the VBIOS back to the stock one but it stays on the OC version one. It doesnt cause any problems, but for overclocking, it does because the OC VBIOS is pretty much maxed out already and I bought the non-OC version so that I would be able to do it myself. I just dont know how to use that program, NVFLASH. I really dont want to send it to Asus for them because they will probably charge me and i will be without a GPU for a while, plus, flashing my motherboards BIOS was very simple and flashing back was simple as well, so I can't see the VBIOS to be that difficult. If you have time, would you please, help me out and point me in the right direction. I watched the video on that site, I downloaded the correct VBIOS and put it in my hard drive(C:) with NVFLASH and i just cant get it to work. So just to be clear, its not broken or anything, it runs on any mode i put it on, on GPUTWEAK, plus I can OC a little bit, like 35mhz over the OC MODE and like 100mhz on memery, but i just want to get it back to the stock VBIOS that it came with.

Thanks for your time, i hope you are doing well.

Regards,

Jordan

I would give ASUS tech support a call and see if they have software for flashing VBIOS back to stock.

I called Asus. The guy i spoke with had no idea what BIOS i upgraded to, and since vbios doesnt have upgradeable vbios, Id have to send it to Asus and id have to pay for them to flash back to stock.

Smh...I can flash it with strix 1080 ti stock vbios and XOC bios but i cant get it back to asus strix 1080 ti non-oc....hmmmmmmmm....

I called Asus. The guy i spoke with had no idea what BIOS i upgraded to, and since vbios doesnt have upgradeable vbios, Id have to send it to Asus and id have to pay for them to flash back to stock.

Smh...I can flash it with strix 1080 ti stock vbios and XOC bios but i cant get it back to asus strix 1080 ti non-oc....hmmmmmmmm....

Did you try changing the vbios file name?

Back