• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Fx 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MhTn

Last week I just bought a used Rx580 8gb gpu and I wanna overclock my Fx 6300 to get a good performance. When I select the ASUS Optimal Mode in bios CPU goes to 3.8ghz but I wanna increase that to 4.2-4.3ghz. I have no experience in overclocking, just watched some youtube videos but I dont wanna do it wrong.

My PC Specs

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
Cpu: AMD FX-6300
Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Gpu: Asus ROG Strix Radeon Rx 580 8GB
RAM: 16 GB (8GBx2) Patriot Memory 1866 CL10 Series
Power Supply: Corsair VS550

So what should I do, what steps should I follow? I can post screenshots if you need.

We have a guide for that! :)

Monitor your temps!!!!

Not just CPU, but all your temps. If your VRMs are overheating it does not matter if your cpu core is staying cool. You wont get clean power and you will fail anyway.

If you have a side panel fan, make sure it is blowing down on hte cpu area. If you have a top down cpu cooler make sure it is maxed when testing. IF you have a tower cooler you absolutely need either directional fins on it to cool your vrms or a side panel cooler.

The Good News: The FX6300 is a pretty decent overclocker and the ASUS M5A97 motherboard is pretty well suited to handed all that the CPU can pull from it.

The Bad News: The Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo CPU cooler is grossly undersized for overclocking your 6-core processor.

Advice: As Neuromancer suggested, monitor your temps closely. You will notice a spike in heat as your voltaage climbs. Pick a threshold that you are comfortable with that is below the CPU max and stop when you get there. Your system has safetly measures in place that will cause a shut down in the event of over heating, but riding that line for a long period (read several months) will degrade the CPU and it will become unstable.

Upgrade you Cooler as soon as you are able to if you plan on running an overclock all the time. Go with a high quality 120 or 140mm cooler, preferably a dual tower. You can also go with a decent 240 or 280mm liquid cooler, but this will incure a larger cost.

Good luck, and happy overclocking.

Hi, could you please advise? In my FX 6300, some auxiliary constantly shows above 70C. Where should I look to solve it?
You obviously need additional cooling. Could you post more info please. Use cpuZ or HWINFO64 (both free) to take screen shots so we can see what's going on.

Is it 70° core temp, package temp, etc? What voltages do you have set? What's you cpu cooler, case cooling config look like?

Yeah, we need a lot more info to help you out.

Back