• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CMT32GX5M2X6200C36 *4 Sticks Z790-E GAMING WIFI i9-13900K XMP Unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sempiro

Hello everyone.

I have built a new system and for some reason unable to run it smoothly with any of the XMP profiles - the machine can boot up, I can perform light tasks like browsing and office work, but when it comes to games I have frequent crashes to the desktop without any error messages and occasionally, somewhat rare there are BSODs related to: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Memory Management or ntoskrnl.exe.

I have tried XMP I and II with next settings (below. Provided by Buildzoid). Although both of the profiles are not stable, it seems XMP II is the least unstable with those settings, since default timings being used (contrary to XMP I - which is tweaked version by ASUS, as far as I understand). By the least unstable, I mean it: 1. Gives much less errors in memtest86 and I can play games without crashing to desktop for quite awhile (sometimes hours, with except to one old title) - I have tested with the last games like CP2077, RE4. Funny enough, what made me into researching was Wreckfest - it seems this game is especially RAM XMP OC sensitive - not matter which XMP profile I use, I cannot even finish 6 laps before it crashes to desktop.

I have tried every possible combination of sticks: tested them one by one and in couples - all tests are PASS in Memtest86. But as soon as I try all 4 sticks together, there are errors under both XMP profiles. Another observation while doing testing in Memtest86 is that for all 13 tests that this app provides, only 12th test - "Random number sequence, 128-bit" - gives errors, the rest 12 tests being passed without any errors for both XMP profiles.

My specs as follows:

MB: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING (BIOS ver.: 1501)
CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core (Stock)
RAM: CMT32GX5M2X6200C36 *4 (Kits of 2 sticks each)

RAM OC settings as follows:
DRAM RAS# ACT TIME - 28
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay L - 6
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay S - 4
DRAM REF Cycle Time 2 - 333 (Cycle Time 1 also the same value)
DRAM REF Cycle Time Same Bank - 233
DRAM Refresh Interval - 65000
DRAM Read to PRE Time - 12
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time - 16
DRAM CKE Minimum Pulse Width - 4
tRDRD_sg_Runtime - 12
tRDRD_dg_Runtime - 7
tWRWR_sg - 12
tWRWR_dg - 7
tWRRD_sg - 60
tWRRD_dg - 48
tWRPRE - 44
tWRPDEN - 44
tXP - 4
tPPD - 0
CPU System Agent Voltage Override - 1.10000
CPU Input Voltage - 1.90000
DRAM VDD Voltage - 1.40000
DRAM VDDQ Voltage - 1.40000
IVR Transmitter VDDQ Voltage - 1.40000
Misc. stability settings as follows:
PCI Express Native Power Management - Disabled
ASPM - Disabled

Needless to say, if I Load Optimized Defaults and Enforce All limits for MCE the system is perfectly stable, although memory runs at 4200 instead of 6200, which is sad, any workaround to stabilize all 4 sticks and make them work 6200?

Two different (like in a separate package, not PN) memory kits are not recommended. Because of the low guaranteed frequency, there are barely any 4-module DDR5 memory kits. 4 modules always lower the maximum frequency, so it won't work at XMP for sure. It's still a bit weird it doesn't work at 6200 as it's not so high clock.

Clear CMOS, enable XMP II, set manually memory clock to 5600, and check if it works. If it does, then try 5800 or 6000.
VDD/VDDQ voltages probably won't help, but you can play with the memory controller voltage. The IVR transmitter may help too, but 1.4V should be more than enough for this clock. It's also not about memory timings, as something else is holding it back.
You can still check more relaxed timings like all at auto but main timings at CL38-44-44 1.40V and to find out how it acts at anything above 6000.

Two different (like in a separate package, not PN) memory kits are not recommended. Because of the low guaranteed frequency, there are barely any 4-module DDR5 memory kits. 4 modules always lower the maximum frequency, so it won't work at XMP for sure. It's still a bit weird it doesn't work at 6200 as it's not so high clock.

Clear CMOS, enable XMP II, set manually memory clock to 5600, and check if it works. If it does, then try 5800 or 6000.
VDD/VDDQ voltages probably won't help, but you can play with the memory controller voltage. The IVR transmitter may help too, but 1.4V should be more than enough for this clock. It's also not about memory timings, as something else is holding it back.
You can still check more relaxed timings like all at auto but main timings at CL38-44-44 1.40V and to find out how it acts at anything above 6000.
Thank you so much for the reply, Woomack.

Before I try need to confirm, afraid I might break something:

1. Would 1.4v for both Memory Controller Voltage and IVR Transmitter VDDQ Voltage be too much?

2. I still unable to get my head around DRAM Timings as in BIOS there are 5 digit-fields:
DRAM CAS# Latency
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay Read
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay Write
DRAM RAS# PRE Time
DRAM RAS# ACT Time

If we take "CL38-44-44 1.40V" as an example, "38" is "DRAM CAS# Latency" this one I get, what about two "44"? Which one goes where? Currently in BIOS I have:

DRAM CAS# Latency 36
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay Read 39
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay Write 39
DRAM RAS# PRE Time 39
DRAM RAS# ACT Time 76

Sorry for noob questions

For the second question, nvm:

Primary Timings Explained​

The stock primary timings will be provided by the RAM manufacturer. They are typically listed as something like CL36-38-38. This is in order of tCL-tRCD-tRP. The number in the timing is what is referred to as a memory clock cycle. A higher number means more clock cycles. The first primary timing, tCL, is the CAS Latency. The second primary timing, tRCD, is the Row Address to Column Address Delay. The third primary timing, tRP, is the Row Precharge Time.

Sometimes a fourth primary timing will be listed, if so that is your tRAS or the Row Active Time. It would then become something like CL36-38-38-52.

Typically, it's one tRCD. On new motherboards, it's often split into two (read and write), but you generally set both the same. Regarding post #3, question CL38-44-44 will be 38-44-44-44-x, where x can usually be as low as around 50 when the memory profile suggests 80+.

Back