• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking RAM to 6000mhz on 7800x3d instable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiso133

Registered
Hi everyone,

I setup a new system with components listed at bottom. I want to overclock my Corsair Vengeance RAM to 6000mhz on a 7800x3d using an ASUS x670e Hero.

Therefore, I activated EXPO in BIOS (BIOS changes below as well).

Sadly, now my system takes 15-30 seconds to show the "press F2 to enter BIOS" (no signal before). Furthermore, system restarts randomly in idle mode. Under load, everything works fine. Memtest executed for hours didn't result in restarts as well. But if I leave my room and come back after some time, my system got restarted.
(Going back to 4800mhz and everything works perfectly fine again - no reboots, fast loading)

Im not sure what to do now and I don't want to mess up my BIOS settings without knowing what to do :(

Do you guys have any suggestions here?

Thanks a lot!
Kiso

----------

My components:
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 64GB (CMK64GX5M2B6000Z30)
ASUS ROG Thor 1000P2
Inno3D GeForce RTX 4080 iCHILL X3

BIOS changes:
Ai Overclock Tuner | Auto > EXPO II
Memory Frequency | Auto > DDR5-60000MHz
Tcl | Auto > 30
Trcd | Auto > 36
Trp | Auto > 36
Tras | Auto > 76
Trc | Auto > 112
Twr | Auto > 90
Trfc1 | Auto > 884
Trfc2 | Auto > 480
Trfcsb | Auto > 390
DRAM VDD Voltage | Auto > 1.40000
DRAM VDDQ Voltage | Auto > 1.40000
PMIC Voltages | Auto > Sync All PMICs
Memory VDD Voltage | Auto > 1.40000
Memory VDDQ Voltage | Auto > 1.40000
Memory VPP Voltage | Auto > 1.80000

Well....first, you aren't overclocking the RAM. The RAM is rated to run DDR5-6000. You are, however, overclocking the IMC on the CPU.

That said, 64GB is 'a lot' to stabilize. What is the SOC voltage? I'd start by raising that 0.1-0.2V from whatever it's currently at. Most boards/BIOS limit this to 1.3V now. But that would be where I start, as that is the IMC/IO voltage.

I updated bios right after putting everything together in october and this morning as well. Bios is up to date.

My "CPU SOC Voltage" is set to Auto and the "SOC Local Voltage Reading" says "1.242".
"CPU VDDIO / MC Voltage" is at 1.403
"Misc Voltage" is at 1.110

So I have to turn "CPU SOC Voltage" to "manual" and set the new field "VDD Soc Voltage Override" to "1.3"?

It shouldn’t be required. Misc voltage sometimes helps. Other than that, you can check a bit higher vdd/vddq voltages or main timings like 30-38-38.

Ok... I tried it with:
- SOC Voltage 1.3 (max) and Misc Voltage 1.2
- vdd/vddq 1.45
- 30-38-38
- 36-40-40

In all 4 attempts, nothing changed (at least the long loading times).

I can try to put all changes together, if u think it might be a good idea?

Maybe it's a problem with RAM itself. I have Kingston 64GB 6000 32-38-38 1.35V kit, not designed for AMD, and it works fine on ASUS B650E-I Gaming and X670E Gene.

SOC is locked at 1.30V on every new BIOS. However, you won't need to set it higher than 1.25V, even at 7000+. Usually, memory controller voltage helps. It's in an additional memory voltages tab. Again, at 6000 it shouldn't be required.
Misc voltage sometimes helps, and you can set it at 1.3V+ without issues. I doubt it will help at 6000 as it's a quite low clock and auto settings should be fine.
I assume you are using slots 2/4 counting from the CPU side. Just asking to be sure.

Did you try EXPO I ? It uses ASUS improved sub-timings. Sometimes it works better than EXPO II which is a full RAM manufacturer profile.

You can try EXPO and a lower clock like 5600 or 5200 to check if it works at any settings.

Btw. the initial start on AMD takes 15-20+ seconds. It's normal and higher RAM capacity = longer boot.

Yes, I'm using 2/4 slots from the CPU side (as stated in the manual). I tried EXPO I initially for 2 months. Besides, I can't see any differences between EXPO I and II in system's behavior so far.

But since start on AMD usually takes that long, I'm not sure whether your suggested changes improved stability. I only checked the startup time and saw no improvements... So maybe they did.

I will try to leave my system alone for some hours with your suggested changes and report back tomorrow whether its more stable:
- SOC voltage
- Misc voltage
- timings
- EXPO I

Can you give me a tip how to change to 5600 or 5200? I didn't see any option for that. Or do I have to disable EXPO for that?

Thanks a ton for all your information and help so far! :)

With enabled EXPO, there is an option 'memory frequency', about 3-4 lines below. In short, it will use EXPO timings and voltages but will start at a different (in this case lower) clock.
I don't have any other idea. It should work at these settings without issues. I know that CL30 sometimes doesn't work, but usually, problems like that are at CL28. However, you checked CL36 which shouldn't cause any similar issues, but for some reason, it still does.

Ok, I'm blind. Found it.

First test failed: system still rebooted over night.
Now I try to run a final attempt with 5600 and 36-40-40 in addition to the changes mentioned above...

If this fails as well... is it an option to buy different RAM?

Sure, you can buy new ram and try it.

A quick search at the x670e hero site, your memory kit isn't on their compatibility list for whatever reason (unless I messed something up... I copy/pasted the SKU from the first post).

So, first, I'd ask if you actually need 64gb.... few do.

Regardless, pick a kit off the compatibilty list. If a kit on the list doesn't work, I'd imagine there's an issue with the board.

Edit: have you looked at the error logs to see if that points to anything??

Last edited:
Even with 5600 and 36-40-40 system's still rebooting :(

I checked the compatibility list as well before I bought the Vengeance but since it's a very famous RAM and the list is not that long, I bought it anyway. Usually I buy Kingston btw and usually I never check compatibility lists but usually I don't overclock the IMC as well (im learning, EarthDog :D).

I decided this way, because there is not a single 64GB kit with ok timings on this list AND its the ASUS HERO... I mean... its THE board for OC... Maybe a stupid decision because there's no good reason for 64GB for me despite having a lot of RAM (though not needed at all :( )...

It sounds as you highly recommend 32GB?

Do you mean the Event Viewer? I can't really read this thing...

Event viewer, yes. At the time of the reboot.

If your uses don't require 64GB, yes, get 32GB. It's cheaper there are more options and it's easier on the imc.

While the qvl lists aren't the gospel, it's helpful for those who want assured plug and play. :)

It's hard to say, only seeing some things on the forums, but it looks more like an incompatibility RAM-motherboard (or BIOS) or just faulty RAM. Did you ask Corsair what they think about it? The motherboard is very popular, and I don't think that ASUS made BIOS that causes problems at 6000.

Just some additional thoughts, but as I said, I had no problems with 2x32GB 6000 kits on ASUS, ASRock, and Gigabyte. The last one was Patriot Elite 64GB/6200, and it was working on Gigabyte mobo without issues. I was also testing 2x48GB Crucial 5600 RAM, and it could make 6000 at EXPO 1.10V and everything at auto (very bad timings, but was stable).
Problems are with 4 memory modules (like very big problems at anything 5200+) and 7600+. Higher motherboards with the latest BIOS handle 2x32GB at 7200-7600, as long as it's Hynix A. Everything at 6000 CL30 or 32 is Hynix as there is no other brand that can handle it in mass production at lower voltages. Considering that, I think that this Corsair RAM is Hynix and if it's manufactured in the last months then it's Hynix A-die, so the best IC you can find for OC. If it doesn't work stable at even 5600 then I would make RMA.

Ok, I'll try to RMA it and report back after testing the other kit.

Thanks for all your help so far! :)

I have finally received the replacement RAM and tested it.

Sadly, everything got even worse: I have installed the new RAM without overclocking the IMC: everything set to "auto".
So, the new RAM ran at 4800 MHz. However, my system restarted in this configuration with the new RAM as well...

And furthermore, I reinstalled the "old" RAM we talked about here and now the "old" RAM causes restarts as well while everything is set to "auto"...

I've checked the EventViewer: last message before all restarts is always "Warning ID 201 from DeviceSetupManager - A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established."
But honestly, log is full of this messages and I cant tell, whether restarts occur directly after this event or quite some time later...

I have finally received the replacement RAM and tested it.

Sadly, everything got even worse: I have installed the new RAM without overclocking the IMC: everything set to "auto".
So, the new RAM ran at 4800 MHz. However, my system restarted in this configuration with the new RAM as well...

And furthermore, I reinstalled the "old" RAM we talked about here and now the "old" RAM causes restarts as well while everything is set to "auto"...

I've checked the EventViewer: last message before all restarts is always "Warning ID 201 from DeviceSetupManager - A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established."
But honestly, log is full of this messages and I cant tell, whether restarts occur directly after this event or quite some time later...
Is this new RAM on the support list for your board? In a worse case scenario, its no big deal if it's not, just means you have to work a bit to get it working...

Like has been alluded too in above posts, a voltage rail associated with the memory sub system just needs a little tuning compared to leaving them on auto. Then you should be able to boot fine with the factory timings for that particular set of RAM. I don't understand what you mean by the system restarting but your able to view event viewer in Windows, at what point is the system rebooting?

It's exactly the same RAM as before since my vendor only agreed in exchanging the RAM instead of taking it back. So its still not on the support list of my board :(

But I bought a new RAM kit as well. This time from the support list: 64 GB Kingston 6000 36 38 38 (KF560C36BBEAK2-64). Hopefully, it'll arrive tomorrow.

With rebooting or restarting I mean: when my system is not under load (at least I think so, since it only happens, when I'm not present and not using my computer) and I come back, my system prompts with Windows login screen. All applications are shut down after logging in and for example chrome asks me whether I want to restore my tabs since chrome got shut down unexpectedly.
Thus, I'm not sure whether my system really shut down or crashed or sth else occured...

Well ok... even the Kingston RAM listed on the supported list causes my system to reboot while not under load. :(
I've tested it without any BIOS changes and with EXPO I as well. Both configs results in restarts...

It seems, there is a problem somewhere else, am I right?

Back