• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z790-E Ram Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

Hello all,

Just built a new system for the first time in 6+ years. I am having a really hard time getting the memory to run at XMP 1, 2, or Tweaked. The sticks are installed in A2/B2 slots.

If I turn XMP on an turn the speed down to 7000 they run memtest86 fine and do not error for hours. If running default XMP they error and also cause BSOD's. Could this be a MB or IMC issue? or do I just have some settings wrong. I noticed some beta bios where posted not sure if I should give them a shot.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Asus Z790-E (0904 Bios)
Gskill DDR5 7200 (F5-7200J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK)

Last edited:
Well.... that memory isn't on the compatibility list for the board. While that's not absolute for saying it doesn't work, that doesn't bode well.

I'd add a bit of System Agent voltage and some for the DRAM itself and see if that helps. Otherwise considering getting something that speed on the qvl list. :)

Well.... that memory isn't on the compatibility list for the board. While that's not absolute for saying it doesn't work, that doesn't bode well.

I'd add a bit of System Agent voltage and some for the DRAM itself and see if that helps. Otherwise considering getting something that speed on the qvl list. :)

The ASUS website lists this kit as QVL for the Z790-E.

Kk. That's good. It worked with something on that board at some point, lol.

Again, try to give it a bit more system agent voltage for the imc and see if that helps.

Besides of what ED said, you can also check CL36 and/or 1.45V. This motherboard should handle 7600 and 13700K has a strong enough IMC for 8000+. I highly doubt you would be so unlucky to have one that can't make more than 7000. My 13700K (retail) goes up to 8400. So far I'm not sure what causes the problem to run at 8533+, but it can be IMC. No matter what it is, 8400 is still far from 7200, so I wouldn't say that the CPU is too weak.

Back