• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No boot after Cmos clear?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Ok I have had my subzero home built system running fine for a month now and I just got new ram today so I could do some more extensive overclocking. My plan was just to get to 2500 MHz ok I don’t have a volt mod I realized so it probably wont help. (A7n8x deluxe, Barton 2500, 2xpc3500 256mb for duel channel mode) Well I was just changing things here and there (I am not totally new to overclocking) and I got the impression that I would only be able to reach respectable MHz with a volt mod. So I needed to read up on it first. I set my specs pretty low thinking I could get a boot (I think they were 177fsb at 12 multiplyer and I don’t know what volt it was at) I hit save settings and no boot. I reach for the clear cmos jumper and switched it between 1,2 and 2,3 the back to 1,2No boot. No nothing. The only thing I can think of it I might now have flipped my power bar (the comp was off but not totally unplugged) I know in the manual they say to always unplug the comp and I must have forgot to hit the power bar (wouldn't just turning off the power bar be the same as unplugging it?

So for now I cant get a boot. I would think maybe my water cooler was doing something funny but I havn't had one problem in an entire month with it. Did I really fry the mobo by clearing the cmos without unplugging power? (I also tried other ram I know to work, just to make sure the ram wasn't kaput but still no boot) What should I do here? Thx for reading.

This board has done the same to me many many times. Make sure you unplug, and pull the battery out, then move the jumper. Then replace all in the order you took it out.

Sometimes mine refuses to post also, hitting the power button about 20 times gets it to boot.... Flakey board huh

Well its been awsome up until now.... I just took everything apart and am checking some things out. If this board did post its last post what would you recommend? The ABit Nf7 or somthing?

clash said:
This board has done the same to me many many times. Make sure you unplug, and pull the battery out, then move the jumper. Then replace all in the order you took it out.

Sometimes mine refuses to post also, hitting the power button about 20 times gets it to boot.... Flakey board huh

When this happens to you...do you lose your video signal...mine is dead with no video signal...but it shows as properly seated...just wondering if doing the RTC RAM clearing trick would work for my situation...don't really feel like tearing this system apart (using the CPU and memory and VC) to find out that would not have any effect on mine...

clash said:

Also hold the delete button down when restarting after clearing the RTC RAM.

Pull the battery for a while (10 minutes). Does this board have a jumper for safe mode(100 fsb)? Those 2 items along with clearing CMOS should do it.

Yeah my monitor does not power up when it does that...Oddly enough, hitting the power button numerous times gets it a signal so i can get to the bios...

clash said:
Yeah my monitor does not power up when it does that...Oddly enough, hitting the power button numerous times gets it a signal so i can get to the bios...

that wont even do the trick...slamming the power button...so trying the RTC RAM clearing method might actually give me a ray of hope...especially since this board was only about 4 hours old when it died...but I am not a Asus expert and will probably never own another Asus board again...but thanks for the info...

I been saying it for months, this board Is NOT worth the money. It's my last Asus.. I aint even gonna sell it on the forums here because i would feel guilty...

I guess i may upgrade the ol' ladys puter and give it to her, it makes a nice grocery getter.. But nothing else.

Ya I am taking my uber -20c water cooling system off and putting the fan on for now in hopes of a post. My seal techniqe (SP) was rock solid as I can see after taking the water block off so it has to be the mobo. I will set the jumper to 133 (default is 166) and I have had the battery out for some time now. I will post how it goes in a few hours. Ya I never was an ASUS fan but my friend thought they were GOD of all mobos so I tryed it this time. Funny msi kinda has a bad rep but even my old msi boards didn't do this.

clash said:
I been saying it for months, this board Is NOT worth the money. It's my last Asus.. I aint even gonna sell it on the forums here because i would feel guilty...

I guess i may upgrade the ol' ladys puter and give it to her, it makes a nice grocery getter.. But nothing else.

I actually knew it wasn't that great...but was tired of burning my 8RDA+'s and my NF7-s rev 1.2...figured the Asus would at least last for a while until I saved up enough to get a NF7-S rev 2.0...thats what I get for thinking...

Big_Baller868 said:
Ya I am taking my uber -20c water cooling system off and putting the fan on for now in hopes of a post. My seal techniqe (SP) was rock solid as I can see after taking the water block off so it has to be the mobo. I will set the jumper to 133 (default is 166) and I have had the battery out for some time now. I will post how it goes in a few hours. Ya I never was an ASUS fan but my friend thought they were GOD of all mobos so I tryed it this time. Funny msi kinda has a bad rep but even my old msi boards didn't do this.

Take it your friend doesn't get out much...if any...and doesn't log onto the net ;)...

good luck...maybe the info that was posted on here might help save my board also...but not holding my breathe either...

glock19owner said:

Take it your friend doesn't get out much...if any...and doesn't log onto the net ;)...

good luck...maybe the info that was posted on here might help save my board also...but not holding my breathe either...

Lol well I took his advide and later learned that he is still running a 500mhz p1 with ISA cards and stuff. He still stands by asus even though he hasn't built a comp since 1998 I think. I learned this after I bought the asus board a few months ago.

OK HELP! I went and got some Electric cleaner to remove Dielectric grease off of my chip (recommend on these forums) and I tryed to pull the lever to take the chip out but it was hard and when i got it to the upright position and chip haden't moved and it wont come OUT! I don't want to sacrifice my 2500 barton chip to this board. How can I get it out without damaging either? (I have NEVER had this happen in my life)

Ya my friend also clogged the toilet and spilled toilett water all over the bathroom, I of coruse had to wash the rugs and the 10 towles. I am actually a pretty smooth tempred guy (or else that a7n8x would be on my dads table saw right now. :D ) soo anyone know how to do this?

"knowledge is good" wasnt he a pac'led in tng?

Are you saying the lever mechanism is broken, or is the chip just stuck in there? If it's broken, then it sounds like it's time to invest in that NF7-S :-/

Ya the lever goes up and down but wont move the cpu tray thingy. Should I fire up the skillsaw, tablesaw, nail gun, or the classic sledgehammer, although I could go to a beach thingy mabye they have a bon fire. :D j/k

I will try some PM's on some users glock recommended. Thx a bunch guys.

Back