• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suspending the Fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Is it possible to put somehow the fans in suspend mode (turn them off) as the hard drive itself goes into suspend mode? (and turn them on when the HD wakes up of course)

Thank you!

In some BIOSes there are options to shutdown the CPU fan(s) in suspend-mode. Most BIOSes also have the option to select the amount of percentage you can throttle the CPU duty when in suspend-mode. I would be very careful with disabling the CPU fan, especially when OCing you might fry your CPU!!!

Sorry! I should have explained better.

I am talking about the regular fans for the hard drives - suspending them with the hard drives while the rest of the computer is still working. I imagine it would have to be some kind of interface between the ATA cable and the HD.

It's going to be exceedingly difficult if they are plugged directly into the PSU Molex connectors. You might have to make a switching circuit using relays etc.....

ok, I think you can forget about it cuz the system tells the HDD's electronics the shutdown command via the ATA cable. I'm not saying it can be done, but it would take a custom made interface between the ATA cable and the HDD...

You should be able to rig up a system using a digidoc or similar.

Speedfan (a temp monitoring proggie) can adjust the speeds of the fans connected to your mobo in relation to the temps it senses. You may be able to control a fan attached to your mobo using the temp sensor from your HDD.......

ya, your best bet would be menchioned above with a fan controller if you want to lower the speeds of your fan or just make a circuit switch to turn them on/off...

Which is the cheapest fan-bus that can Turn OFF the fans (3-4 fans) if the temperature falls under a certain - USER SELECTABLE - degree?

Thank you!

Back