• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is confirmed to work with a tornado?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

I have a 80mm tornado and bought the rheostat from radio shack......it ended in TOTAL disaster ending the life of my hard drive and potentially other components.....anywho....I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of a baybus or rheostat that without question could take the heat of my tornado....thanks a TON!

I would love to give my cpu nice temps AND! save my ears...:D...but you are sure that that baybus will work?

Both models of the Nexus work well with it (multi-panel and 4-fan baybus).

Check out my sig. I use an 80 mm tornado fan hooked up to a PC Toys 4 fan controller.( same thing as the Nexus, just relabled with the Pc Toys logo.) I have not had any problems at all running all my case fans (5) and my tornado. My idle temp is 32 C and running temp of 38 C.

Edit: To cut down on the whine with the fan at higher rpm, remove the grill from the fan before mounting. Since the fan is inside the case ya don't have to worry too much about da fingers. :D

treepop said:
I have a 80mm tornado and bought the rheostat from radio shack......it ended in TOTAL disaster ending the life of my hard drive and potentially other components.....anywho....I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of a baybus or rheostat that without question could take the heat of my tornado....thanks a TON!

I use this one with my Tornado and at 1.65 it can't be beat.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=470&item=RHE-15&type=store

If you set it too low though the fan won't start at bootup, but it wouldn't with any other rheostat anyway so its great.

crull
I dunno if I wanna take a chance with a home built rheostat again...the one I got from Radioshack melted and screwed up my harddrive...seeing as my harddrive is alot more expensive then my last..I just think I will pick up a baybus.....which looks cool anyhow ;)..I am sure the ceramic is all good and such...but I can't take that risk again:(

Of course you had trouble with a Radio Shack Pot I think the highest rated one they carry is like 5 watts. The 80mm Tornando is rated around 9 watts, that rheostat is 15 watts. As long as you wire it right your not gonna have a problem with it. It runs the fan from around 3000 rpms to full. The fan won't turn on though if you have it set for less then around 3500 rpms. That is a very high quality pot that is designed to handle heat. The ones from radio shack are not. The rheostat I listed for 1.65 is also listed here

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ele-50.html?id=huYdLMvX

Its the same rheostat but they want 12 dollars for it.

Radio Shack carries high wattage fixed resistors, I used those when I first got my tornado and made a switch from them so I could run it at high, med, slow. They carry 8 Ohm fixed power resistors. You wire 2 of those to a switch so the run in parrallel and series. In series your running 8 Ohms for slow speed, parrallel your running 4 Ohms Med speed and no resistor for full. That worked fine, until I found that Rheostat. I bought 2 of them and well worth the 3 bucks or so. Are you sure you wired the rheostat right? Usually when a Rheostat or pot burns out you lose a connection because the resistive element burns up, but thats all that happens. Like I said its the same Rheostat they are selling for 12 dollars.

Thats the resistance value 25 Ohms, the wattage value is probably around 5 watts max. The resistance for what you used is OK, but it can't handle high wattage. You won't see much of a difference between 15 Ohms & 25 Ohms, but the wattage rating is too low because the Tornado is rated for around 9 watts. The Rheostat I listed is rated for 15 watts enough to handle the Tornado.

Back