• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 50c idle consider serious ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZhaoYun

Registered
Hi Guys,

Look at my sig for spec.

On idle, I am having something like 50 to 52c, and when doing Sandra CPU Burn-in Test, it exceeds 80c. I am abit worried as Intel website says when it reaches 90c, say bye-bye to your CPU.

I also heard that Abit had a different way of measuring CPU and system Temp. Dos this contribute to my issue ?

I am also with AC3 on NB and CPU. One thing I notice is that my temp drop very fast. After I stop Sandra CPU burn-in test, it will drop from 80 to 67 within 2 to 3 seconds ! So, I assume my AC3 works.

I am on HSF and do not want to spend extra $$$ on ThermalTake before I ask some expert's opinion here.

Thanks.

Hmmm I'm not a Intel guy but, ya those are high temps for a Intel cpu. Maybe your bios needs to be updated? If your system is not rebooting or crashing I would think your bios is reading your temps wrong. I could be wrong.

Sounds as if you have a real problem with your temps...
Have you tried reaching into the case and feeling the HSF when the machine is at full load?? If the HSF doesn't seem hot to the touch, then you may have a temp sensor problem, but if it is hot to the touch you need to check your HSF installation and the airflow in your case...either may be suspect.
You may want to back off your OC a bit in order to keep from frying that CPU as all chips are not created the same...some OC well and some will not OC much at all without overheating...
You should also check the Intel Mobo section for info on that board and any temp sensor issues it may have...

Keep up posted on what you find...Hope this helps...:D

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fast response.

I think I need to provide more detail.

OC :- OC or not OC has the same temp. BTW, I did not increase the vCore even I am with 3.2 ghz. 1.525v all the way.

BIOS :- Latest BIOS. If I read the PC Health readings in the BIOS, even worse ! It reads, 58 to 63 constantly on the power-on. MBM and Abit Hardware Monitor reports 50 to 52 when idle.

Open up my casing drops CPU temp to 48 or 49. Case temp is around 38 to 40.

One question, when applying the AC3, according to the official URL instruction, it does not ask me to apply on my Intel Heatsink. Is that correct ? I am a bit suprise I don't have to apply anything on the base of the Heatsink. CoolerMaster Thermal Compound(used previously on the same HF) says apply on both surface.

Things have done so far :-

1. Remove everything, Re-clean AC3, re-apply. --> Same temp.

2. Reseat HF, make sure the everything is secure tightly. --> Same temp.

Please help.

Thanks.

You might also want to get the latest bios for your board. Abit is notorious for really high temps.

-Bobby

i dont think abit fixed the temperature problems on these boards with their bios updates yet.. so i read. i run about 42c idle and 58c load with my retail cooler (going water soon) and my friend with an slk800 and 47cfm panaflo gets 44c idle and 60c load, and i checked twice and the mounting is perfect. so im pretty sure the temperature censors on these mobos are wack

max

How many case fans do you have and are they all pointing the same way?

On my folding matx amd rig, my temps are usually around 46C under load. Case temps are around 43C. I have a PSU fan an 80MM sitting on my mobo just to shuffle air around in there. This thing has NO spaces for any fans. So I'm going to cut a big hole on the case and isntall a 120mm fan. That should solve all problems (considering the fan would probably take up 1/4 the space on the desktop style case's top).

i would install a few fans to move the air. can have the best HS/F on the market, but if fresh, cool air isn't getting inside, it's not gonna do ya much good.

even if it's just one intake and one exhaust, it's better than nothing and i'm willing to bet it will help with the problem.

I also have an ABit mobo and it runs 50c while folding, while my main rig is slightly cool, but main rig has better cooling. 2nd pc has 120mm fan intake on the side and 120mm exhaust blowhole.

dang it's loud tho hehe

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the response.

Ok, I have a Tower Casing. 420W PSU. Four 80CM case fan on the front-bottom doing intake and two 80CM top-rear doing exhaust. Also, the PSU has one fan inside the casing doing intake and one at the back doing exhaust.

If I open up the side panel, my temp(Case+CPU) would drop 3 to 4c.

Yeah, my Abit IS7 is running on BIOS 1.3.

Inside my case, I have :-

1. 1 x 16x DVDROM
2. 1 x Liteon Burning Drive
3. 1 x SB Live
4. 1 x FX5600
5. 1 x PATA WD 80GB 7,200 rpm

All using rounded-cable.

I did not experience any crashing or reboot, but when my CPU temp is as high as 82c when fully loaded with Sandra Burn-in test, I think I should be concern :(

Thanks again for your feedback.

with that setup and fans, i'm willing to bet your sensor is messed up. My main rig has the same problem. I upgraded the case, put in fans, nice HSF and even got a new processor and the sensor still says 80+ degrees celsius.

if you aren't having any problems, it's probably a broken sensor.

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I will now assume I had a broken sensor and ignore the Temp issue.

Cheers.:D :D

Back