• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't get cpu to oc on soltek

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsspewer

yes, i am new to oc'ing a cpu..so if at all i sound or ask dumb questions..take them for face value :)

[edit] This problem has been fixed, however, i have a new problem, please refer down the page a bit to my post. [/edit]

I've read up on oc'ing till my brain is to bursting level, but i can't get my AMD XP 2100+ t-bred rev b to oc. here's some info:

Samsung 512mb pc2700 and Crucial 512 pc 2700 both at cas2.5
Soltek 75drv5 m/b Manual link
Amd xp 2100+ t-bred rev b

first, i set the ram voltage to 2.6 from 2.5, then i set the fsb to 133 and then in turn set the DRAM clock to 133 to get them in sync. Isn't the multiplier set on those 2100 chips at 13? anyways, i then try tuning the cpu clock from 133 to just 135, save, and reboot. It shows a higher mhz processor during post but will not boot windows. It gets just to windows, computer blinks off, then black screen. It won't post again unless i turn off the computer and turn it back on.

How do i oc the cpu? am i doing something wrong? i've tried taking the samsung out and just booting with the crucial but it still won't start windows..

we all gotta start somewhere, so help would be appreciated..

[edit] This problem has been fixed, however, i have a new problem, please refer down the page a bit to my post. [/edit]

Last edited:
Just for your information I am pretty sure this board needs some burn in time (I have it too). I got it in december and it didn't like it to much when I skipped to many mhz on the fsb like you skipped 134. But then I sold my PC2100 and got some Corsair PC3200 and set the SW2 166mhz by putting all of the switches to zero except for switch 2 which is set to on and as long as your processor is a decent clocker I will bet your system will work and you should also reset the bios when you do this and then put your settings back to how you want them to be. And to give you some more hope I run this board at 205fsb daily.

nope..134mhz don't work either...

here's what i've tried:

DRAM Clock is set to 133 (it reads DRAM Frequency at 166 when set to "SPD" and FSB Frequency at 133, so i'm trying to sync them)
DRAM Timing is set to manual, with CAS Lat at 2.5 and Bank Interleave disabled.
CPU Vcore set to 1.75 and tried at 1.8
What is Auto Detect DIMM/PCI Clk? should i disable it?
And what is Spread Spectrum or should i not worry about that..
Board jumpers set to 133mhz, then i adjust the bios mhz setting under CPU Clock to 134, 135, etc.. and none work...
Jumper for ram voltage set to 2.6

and that's it..if it makes since and you know how to deal with it, talk away..

You said you tried the vcore at 1.75 volts and you tried 1.8 volts but it still didn't work. My question is are you positive you have a tbred b and not a pali because pali's didn't clock very high at all and well a tbred b 2100+ has a default voltage of 1.6 volts. I am thinking you have got to have a pali and not a tbred.
Spread spectrum should be set to disabled.
Auto dimm clock: I haven't noticed a difference between enabling it and disabling it. (I have it enabled).
An easy way to check to see to what processor you have is by d/l cpu-z at this link: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-118.zip

Edit: To sync the memory you need to change by SPD to Manual and then change it to 133Mhz. And should definitely change bank interleave to 4 and cas to 2 as long as the memory can handle it and since it is Samsung it should.

Last edited:
here's my cpu info, i know i got the right one..i double checked before ever ordering:
mattscpu.jpg

Edit: To sync the memory you need to change by SPD to Manual and then change it to 133Mhz. And should definitely change bank interleave to 4 and cas to 2 as long as the memory can handle it and since it is Samsung it should.

i'll try that and see what it does..as far as setting the memory to 133, that i have tried, but i'll try the samsung at cas2 and interleave at 4..thanks..i'll let u know..

Try using SW2 (right next to ide channel) and change it to 140Mhz by setting all switches to on except for 4 and 5 put those in the off position and see if that lets you boot into windows.

Edit: I should have asked this earlier but how are your temps lookin?

temps aren't bad..cpu temp is showing 35..

i think i found out what may be stopping it from going into windows. I changed the CAS lat to 2, set the Bank Interleave to 4 bank, and set the vcore to 1.75 and just left fsb at 133 just to see if it would work before messing with fsb. It didn't..of course it didn't make it to windows and i got a flicker and black screen.

SO, i went back and set the vcore to default, and it booted, i then upped the fsb to 134, it booted, and upped once more to 135, and it booted fine again. I'm gonna see about burning it in at 135 before upping again, but Sandra shows cpu at 1.77 now..

it's oc'ing now..but won't i need to up the vcore in the future to oc higher? when should i up the vcore? when i get the first unsuccessful boot or system crash or any other sign of unstability? that's really the last part i don't understand to oc'ing, and that's knowing when to up the voltages on the cpu and ram...

btw..will upping the agp voltage give me better video card performance?

The AGP voltage usually doesn't do anything for your video card unless you have like the first 4x card or a 2x card those would be the only cards that would benefit I think from raising it. You only need to raise voltages if you cannot pass stress testing like Prime95, 3dmark, and memtest86.

alright..i got it at default vcore and it's running stable at 150mhz.. i know i can get lots more out of it..but gotta take it slow..

I can't seem to break the 152mhz barrier! grrr..
i have it set at 151 for now which it runs fine at, but i know these chips can go higher!
Here's some bios specs for those willing to help:

Motherboard jumpers set to 150mhz for cpu external clock
RAM jumpers set to 2.6 volts

DRAM Clock: 133mhz (sync's cpu, so it's actually 151)
DRAM CAS Latency: 2.5
Bank Interleave: 4 Bank
DRAM Burst Length: 4
DRAM Queue Depth: 2 level
DRAM Command Rate: 2T Command
DDSkew Level: 00

CPU Vcore Select: 1.675
Auto Detect DIMM/PCI ClK: Enabled
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Skew, CHIP Skew, PCI Skew, AGP Skew: All Disabled
Use CPU Linear Freq: Use Linear
CPU Clock: 151

That's all my settings..i read in another post about ACPI, should i turn that to Disabled?

I've tried upping the cpu vcore to 1.7 and 1.75, but no luck, it just gets to windows and automatically reboots.

And how would i go about changing the multiplier for my cpu? Sandra says it's locked at 13, and i've already tried changing the jumper settings on the motherboard to lower multipliers and turning it off auto, but i don't get post.

Samsung 512mb pc2700 and Crucial 512 pc 2700 both at cas2.5
Soltek 75drv5 m/b Manual Link
Amd xp 2100+ t-bred rev b

*bump*

and ...AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!! *pop*......thud

it seems that i can have a stable overclock, but when i bump the vcore up by the smallest or any incriment, it likes to reboot once it's gotten into windows..ANYONE?

oh and just for the info, i didnt learn this until recently either, but the higher mhz wise you buy your ram, that rating is how fast it CAN go even though at stock its only at 133 but by buying pc2700 or 166, it just means it rated to go that speed safely, so they are already synced. as for your problem im clueless sorry :(

I think something you could try is change the fsb switches so it would boot up as a 333Mhz cpu since your processor should be able to take the higher speed even at default vcore and the reason you may not be able to pass 151mhz is because your pci is getting to far out of spec. But once your dip switch is set to 166mhz the 5th divider will kick in and you should be able to make it work with your processor and ram.

Last edited:
well...it doesn't want to work :mad: . I changed the DIP switches to 166mhz (333), and it doesn't want to post. I get the beginning boot screen that show's the processor as xp2700 and the amount of memory, but stops there. Doesn't show the drive information. I tried changing the ram voltage to 2.8 (2.6 is default) and even tried changing the vcore before messing with the DIP switches, still..nothing....

it just depresses me. I read up on how everyone was getting successful overclocks with the pc2100 chip to 2.4 gigs and higher..and i can't even get 2 gigs out of it..:mad:

Back