• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8RDA+ "C1" failure after BIOS update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaptainValor

Registered
I mentioned this briefly in another topic, but I'd like to just start a new thread on it.

I am running an 8RDA+ with an AMD Athlon 2500+ and 2 sticks of 265mb DDR333 Mushkin RAM. This configuration has worked fine for me for the past three months, and I have even been running fine with the multiplier at 12.5 and FSB at 168mhz. But recently I used the latest Epox drivers mirrored by www.8rdafaq.com and his instructions on how to update them. I used the BIOS built in AWDFlash util to flash the BIOS, and it appeared to work fine. But upon restart, I now get a "C1" (memory not detected) error on the LED before POST, along with a very annoying alarm. I have moved the RAM around in every config possible, reset the CMOS, and even tried booting without RAM. Same problem. According to www.8rdafaq.com, this is a common problem with the 8RDA+. But since my configuration worked fine before, with the same everything, I am confused.

Is there anything I can do short of an RMA?

I had the same problem initially. I have the 8rda+ with a Mushkin PC3200 Black dual pack (512). I got the C1 and the siren. I found a few posts about incompatible RAM, and then went to Mushkin's site and saw that their RAM is not certified on the 8rda+. :rolleyes: SO what I had to do was boot of a stick of Crucial PC2100, change the memory settings to all expert and the ratio to 100% (not by SDP) and it worked.

I will have to remember your experience if I decide to flash later.

BTW, I consider this Mushkin's fault, and not EPOX's, becausethe 8rda+ is one of the most popular NForce2 boards, and they *should* make their product work in it... even just from the business stand point.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PS Try flashing to the your previous version too.

No luck. I tried putting in a stick of Legacy Electronics 512mb PC2100, and it gave me the same situation. What are my options now?

Hmm, sorry to hear that. That means it doesn't have anything to do with the Mushkin then, OR even that "Legacy Electronics" RAM doesn't work either. I've read that the NForce2 chipset is picky with memory, and it isn't just Mushkin. I would still try to get your hands on a stick of Crucial. I had to go to Best Buy and get a cheap stick and then return it. (yeah, I exploited the system, but consider it payback for all those rebates I never got ;))

In the meantime, try unplugging the PSU and removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. That will *really* clear the CMOS.

What was the BIOS revision you upgraded to?

I got them off of a website I've seen recommended here before, www.8rdafaq.com. They were listed as the "8RDA+ 6/09/03" BIOS. I followed the procedure he gave to the letter.

I may be able to get my hands on some RAM from my dad's work. They do chip design, and one of the steps is testing the chips with different system configurations, so they have a lot of extra parts lying around. I don't know if it's Crucial, though. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna take my system into a local Fry's, and see what their computer repair area can do with it. I imagine the most they could do there is try different RAM sticks and hopefully get it to boot into the BIOS. I'm crossing my fingers.

Oh, and how *exactly* do you remove the CMOS battery, btw?

That's unfortunate. Seems to be a very common problem, seeing a lot of similar posts reporting C1 after flash. The old saying is flash at your own risk but flashing this particular board appears riskier then usual. Good luck getting it jump started.

The CMOS battery looks like a big "watch" battery right above the floppy connector on the mobo. There should be a small push clip that holds it in. After pushing that out of the way, it should just spring up. Be sure to unplug the PSU too when you are trying to clear the CMOS by draining all power to it.

No luck with that either. I guess at this point I can either RMA the mobo, or buy a BIOS chip. Which do you think would be better? I'm sorta leaning towards getting a new chip, but that would cost 15 bucks, plus whatever it would cost to get it installed at Fry's since I don't have that fancy tool to do it with.

Man, this a bummer. If it were me, I'd *still* try the stick of Crucial. But you aren't me, so it is up to you. I can tell you that you *can*, VERY carefully tease the BIOS chip out with a tiny flat headed screw driver, the size that you would use to repair eyeglasses. I did it once, and I got it in and out fine. Examine the socket and stick it into the gaps and wedge it out evenly by alternating on both ends. Be sure that the board is unplugged when doing this.

But that is if you want to buy and wait for a new chip.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

I still am planning on trying the stick of Crucial, if I can. I don't think I wanna risk the mobo by replacing the BIOS by myself. And I've decided that if I RMA the mobo, they will probably just replace the BIOS chip anyway, so I'll just order a new one and have Fry's install it for safety. That would at least keep me from having to remove the mobo entirely.

Thanks anyway for all your help! :)

Back