• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

danner mag 7 or mag9.5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceRangerJoe

im trying to get my shopping list for my water chiller, and i cant decide which pump i want. im looking at the mag 7 or mag 9.5 (can be seen here). as anyone used either of these pumps, or heard anything good or bad about them. i need a good amount of pumping power (the fridge will be a foot or two away from the computer, and will have a cpu, gpu, and probably nb block). what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I beleive many people here use the mag 3 and 5 for smaller situation so the 7 and 9.5 are a sure bet for you application i would beleive.

wow 70 watts and 93 watts....

That is quite a bit.

Depends on ur chiller.... If it can handle all the heat from the various componets go with the larger pump. The head on the 9.5 is tremendous.

is the pump in the fridge? Within the water res?

that is way too much pump power for your needs. I am watercooling my cpu, gpu, nb and psu all this with a maxijet 1200!! I'm getting around 4-5lpm (wich is pretty decent but not exceptionnal) and this is with a WW clone I build myself (with impigment plate). If you really want to go overkill, use a Danner 5, it will already be enough if not too much power for your need. BTW having your fridge at 2-3 feets wont make that much of difference, keep in mind that the biggest bottleneck (as in flow killer) in ANY watercooled system are the block and/or elbow, not the tubing.

Last edited:
i was assuming that these pumps are 120V AC, not 12V. is this correct? since ive been going on that assumption, ive been planning on wiring an outlet inside the fridge for pump power, and perhaps a neon light inside (so i can see my drinks in a dark room :D, and for kicks. also, i might put a 120v ac - 12v dc transformer in there, to power some fans i want to have blowing over the condensor. that is, if my plans to wire it to the relay for the fridge compressor fail.

i was gonna go for the mag 7 over the 5, because its only a few bucks ($5) for a whole lot more flow.

so, to answer your questions, yes, the pump will be in the fridge. no, i dont think it will be in the res. i am planning on putting the pump below the res, which will be at the top of the fridge, with the condensor laying in it (thats the plan anyway...). i figure ill run a tube up through the bottom of the res, and probably make the tube, going to the inlet on the pump, right next to the evaporator, so the water/coolant will be a cold as it possibly can be.

im still trying to work out just how im going to get the res up to where i want it. i think im just gonna have to kinda cut part of the metal piece attached to the evap away (ill post a pic of what im talking about after i get them off my friend digicam). then i figure ill just cram the plastic container in there. with that being the case, i think i will have to resort to having a fill tube going into the bucket, cause i wont be able to take the res out without emptying it. and i wont be able to fill it because it will be to close to the top of the fridge.

anyway, talk about a tangent there! please post thoughts, thanks.

Prandtl said:
that is way too much pump power for your needs. I am watercooling my cpu, gpu, nb and psu all this with a maxijet 1200!! I'm getting around 4-5gpm (wich is pretty decent but not exceptionnal) and this is with a WW clone I build myself (with impigment plate). If you really want to go overkill, use a Danner 5, it will already be enough if not too much power for your need. BTW having your fridge at 2-3 feets wont make that much of difference, keep in mind that the biggest bottleneck (as in flow killer) in ANY watercooled system are the block and/or elbow, not the tubing.

4*60=240 5*60= 300gph, thats more than itll push at zero head...

At most youll be getting 1gpm With just a maze3 block, I got 2gpm, thats ONLY that block and like 2ft of tubing.

I wouldnt get either, I think that they both are overkill, The heat from the pumps will cause your water temps to rise too much, I would definately go with a danner mag#3

-edit- I would definately submerge the pump, It will eliminate a ton of difficulties, space, and insulating the pump too. And just get some 120v fans, forget the transformer and all, You would need a transformer, a bridge rectifier, or just a halfwave rectifier and some capasitance.

Jon

I use the mag 3 and it has plenty of power and doesn't put alot of heat in the water. Too big of a pump will only hurt you in the long run when it comes to temps.

for the fans, when i said transformer, i meants one of those converters that you can get, that changes 120v ac into 12v dc. your right, it takes more than a transformer. i was just sort of truncating my thoughts. so can i just toss the pump in the res? (i dont mean literally toss, but you get the idea) are those pumps dc or ac? how can i secure those pumps? are there screw holes on the bottom? the picture i have isnt all that good, and i cant tell.

well, if i can find my checkbook, im off to home depot to get some tubing and insulation and stuff. peace out.

the pump is AC, 120v. I think its just a little easier to get the 120v fans to go along with the pump, but unless you already have the power supply for the fans, go for it.

The pump has a mounting bracket, it has 4 screwholes, and the pump slides on and off of it pretty good, just need to press the clippy thing to get it off.

Jon

good deal, thanks. i dont have the power supply for the fans, it was just something i considered. everyone ive asked seems to think that the 120v ac fans are a better idea anway. it would be great to have them on the back, and just turn on and off with the compressor. extra efficiency, but no extra noise when it doesnt matter. ill disect the fridge soon and see what i can find out.

JFettig said:

4*60=240 5*60= 300gph, thats more than itll push at zero head...

At most youll be getting 1gpm With just a maze3 block, I got 2gpm, thats ONLY that block and like 2ft of tubing.
Jon

err, I meant 4LPM not 4GPM, damn english units systems, I got my units mixed up! And your right, 4lpm is roughtly 1gpm wich is what i got ;)

P.S. i'll edit my previous post.

Back