• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW PC Build - Purchasing in May

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some think I'm crazy, but I run my 220W 6700 XT and PL1 175W i7-12700F off of a 450W EVGA PSU with no problems. Normally when gaming, the GPU stays below 150W and the CPU tops out at 70W.

Generally, versions with the highest boost clocks are going to be the fastest. I'd have to look to figure out which one just the same.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any major vendor (Asus, MSI, Giga, ASRock) honestly. I prefer MSI and Asus here, but Giga and ASRock cards are certainly solid.

Generally, versions with the highest boost clocks are going to be the fastest. I'd have to look to figure out which one just the same.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any major vendor (Asus, MSI, Giga, ASRock) honestly. I prefer MSI and Asus here, but Giga and ASRock cards are certainly solid.

Thank you.
still not certain about the motherboard though, dont want to overpay and at the same time dont want to get something that's gonna be bad.
I really need someone to shed light on the coil whine I had from my mic when ever I spoke while gpu was under load

Some think I'm crazy, but I run my 220W 6700 XT and PL1 175W i7-12700F off of a 450W EVGA PSU with no problems. Normally when gaming, the GPU stays below 150W and the CPU tops out at 70W.
This is one of the sanest posts I've seen. All too often people WAY overestimate power use or want to base it on Testing P95 and Furmark at the same time then make that their 50% point.

I don't buy into that 50% being most efficient either (it is, let me be clear). To clarify, 80plus differences are only around a max of 2% from 20% (10% if Titanium) to 100%.. so losing 1% running around 70-75% load is better than spending more out of the gate on a PSU Wattage you don't need. Unless you're F@H (read: running loads 24/7/365 past warranty, you'll never make up the difference between a 650W unit and 850W+ (typical difference is around $30-$50 from the same line, just higher wattage). That said, a 750W unit will handle 99% of enthusiast-class (read: not HEDT) PCs. 5950X/12900K and 6900XT or 3090Ti... I'd do that all day on a 750W unit. If I was F@H or something, I may go 850W just for noise.

still not certain about the motherboard though, dont want to overpay and at the same time dont want to get something that's gonna be bad.
I hear ya. But as a motherboard reviewer, so few of these have deal-breakers or are just plain garbage. The Prime series is more on the budget side, but Asus did a good job on them.
I really need someone to shed light on the coil whine I had from my mic when ever I spoke while gpu was under load
This is a tough one, honestly. I've never heard coil whine through my headphones or speakers, only coil-whine on physical devices. Sounds more like a poor ground or something than it is a failure of an audio ecosystem though.

This is one of the sanest posts I've seen. All too often people WAY overestimate power use or want to base it on Testing P95 and Furmark at the same time then make that their 50% point.

I don't buy into that 50% being most efficient either (it is, let me be clear). To clarify, 80plus differences are only around a max of 2% from 20% (10% if Titanium) to 100%.. so losing 1% running around 70-75% load is better than spending more out of the gate on a PSU Wattage you don't need. Unless you're F@H (read: running loads 24/7/365 past warranty, you'll never make up the difference between a 650W unit and 850W+ (typical difference is around $30-$50 from the same line, just higher wattage). That said, a 750W unit will handle 99% of enthusiast-class (read: not HEDT) PCs. 5950X/12900K and 6900XT or 3090Ti... I'd do that all day on a 750W unit. If I was F@H or something, I may go 850W just for noise.

I hear ya. But as a motherboard reviewer, so few of these have deal-breakers or are just plain garbage. The Prime series is more on the budget side, but Asus did a good job on them.

This is a tough one, honestly. I've never heard coil whine through my headphones or speakers, only coil-whine on physical devices. Sounds more like a poor ground or something than it is a failure of an audio ecosystem though.

focusing on the last 2 paragraphs :

let me tell you my history with boards over my last two builds that will give u some basic understanding on why am I so picky for a PC part that "seems" to not be "that" much of a big deal to choose :

my 2012 build I went and bought the ASUS P8-Z77 - which was considered not the cheapest, cost around 370$ or more here. (and if I recall correctly wasnt a so-called "budget board")

and then in my 2015(and current) build (which cost me more than 3000$ back then) I said to myself "is there a reason to overspend on a motherboard?" and actually bought the Gigabyte H97-HD3 for 250$ or maybe less.
Lets just say Ive had not so little issues with it since (including this coil whine coming out of my microphone)

so now I dont wanna even look towards "budget" boards. and I dont know anything about modern boards let alone ASUS boards to say the least.
**additionally, a number of people have already told me by now that as far as the Z690 chipset goes, gigabyte is pretty questionable for that generation - dont really know how true it actually is though.

I'll post some models + prices and maybe you can navigate me towards a model that's worth it for its price?

ASUS:

PRIME Z690-P 310$
PRIME Z690-A 355$
STRIX Z690-F 550$
PROART Z690 600$
STRIX Z690-E 703$
MAXIMUS HERO 777$
MAXIMUS EXTREME 1462$

GIGABYTE:

Z690 UD 300$
Z690 GAMINGX 300$
Z690 AERO G 430$

Aorus line:
Elite AX 387$
PRO 471$
ULTRA 555$
Master 650$
XTREME 1257$

And remember I said I ordered this GSKILL RAM (the 36-36-36-72) that was recommended here? it was for almost 500$ here locally.

prices are definitely insane. as I warned you earlier.

G.Skill 6000 CL36 is more than fine.

Seasonic 650W Titanium should have efficiency like 750W/850W from more standard series. I already see that comparing 600W Corsair Platinum to some lower series but 750-850W.

The compact Torrent is a bit shorter. If you want to use 360 AIO then get the regular one. If you want to use Noctua then the compact one will probably look better and take up less space.
This is in the product specs.

Regular version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm, including 360x180 mm
  • Rear radiator
    Up to 120/140 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 360/420 mm (458 mm max length)

Compact version:
  • Front radiator
    Up to 360x120/280x140 mm (360 mm front radiators (push / push-pull) supported up to a max length of 403 mm)
  • Rear radiator
    120x120 mm
  • Bottom radiator
    Up to 240x120/280x140 mm
I Just noticed there is the 420 version available here aswell, it will fit in the regular too right ?

According to the product specs posted above, yes.
great, so I'll get the 420.
what about the overheating issue of m.2? should I get the 980PRO w/ heatsink version? or is it just marketing ?

Use the m.2 heatsink on the board. It'll be fine.

I just saw your motherboard list. Out of those... Asus strix is better than prime. Strix-f is all you need... it has audio shielding for integrated audio too.

Giga had(has) some memory issues. Especially with gskill. That said, the latest bios are a lot better. Worst case is you flash to the latest...which you should do anyway with a new board. I'd go with the aorus ultra.

Between the ultra and strix-f if you're paranoid about the ram, get the asus.

Use the m.2 heatsink on the board. It'll be fine.

I just saw your motherboard list. Out of those... Asus strix is better than prime. Strix-f is all you need... it has audio shielding for integrated audio too.

Giga had(has) some memory issues. Especially with gskill. That said, the latest bios are a lot better. Worst case is you flash to the latest...which you should do anyway with a new board. I'd go with the aorus ultra.

Between the ultra and strix-f if you're paranoid about the ram, get the asus.

difference between PRIME A and STRIX -F is a bit less than 200$, worth it you say ?

Apologies, but worth it is up to you, my friend. :)

The Strix and Aorus lines are better than Prime and UD etc. But between the boards listed, I wouldn't bet on any one dieing faster than another if all you're doing is stock and XMP on RAM.

That said, get the best you can/want to afford is my motto. :)

Apologies, but worth it is up to you, my friend. :)

The Strix and Aorus lines are better than Prime and UD etc. But between the boards listed, I wouldn't bet on any one dieing faster than another if all you're doing is stock and XMP on RAM.

That said, get the best you can/want to afford is my motto. :)
the whole build will cost me roughly about 4000$
what's another 100$ for a better board then x)

That's a pittance when you look at the big picture, indeed. :)
few updates ;

I also created a similar thread on the central biggest HW forum in Israel and one guy there told me this :

1. best course of action would be to actually order a the EVGA FTW3 RTX3070Ti from Newegg for the 900$ + vat./tax ;etc etc (will STILL cost me less than a regular 3070 here, by 280$(!!!)
and also.. Israel dont have EVGA RTX30 series and I understood that its the most recommended version of the card?
I can even get the RTX3080 (10GB version / Gigabyte Windforce 12GB) for only 100$ more than the 3070 in israel)
By the way, what's the deal with the 10GB & 12GB separation? two 3080's?

just wanted ur take on this.

2. Said that the AIO 420 cooler is a serious overkill (I tend not to believe this too much..)

3. that the SEASONIC PRIME ULTRA 650W would be somewhat "borderline" and I should go for something beefier .

what do you think?

EDIT : I read that consumption-wise the 3070 is 220W TGP, 70Ti is about 290 and 3080 is 320W~

if I decide to stretch out even more and get the 70TI or 80 would the 650W seasonic still suffice ?

Last edited:
1. Again, get the best you can/want to afford. As far as tbe RAM, if you're playing at 1440 or less, 10GB is fine. If you plan 4k, get a better card and more vram.

2. A 4x120mm AIO is overkill for just the CPU. 3x120 is fine. Diminishing returns on bigger system and fitment of that size rad means a big chassis.

3. Lol, it's not borderline with the original system. If you're going 3070ti or 3080, id go 750W.

1. Again, get the best you can/want to afford. As far as tbe RAM, if you're playing at 1440 or less, 10GB is fine. If you plan 4k, get a better card and more vram.

2. A 4x120mm AIO is overkill for just the CPU. 3x120 is fine. Diminishing returns on bigger system and fitment of that size rad means a big chassis.

3. Lol, it's not borderline with the original system. If you're going 3070ti or 3080, id go 750W.
its going to be the 3070Ti 99% (from newegg)
3080 is too much for me.

so bottom line, can u recommend me a nice PSU to go with the 3070Ti? problem is I dont have anything from Seasonic in that wattage range.
Got various units from Corsair ; RM, TX, HX series.
few Zalmans, Antec, be quiet! BN series, some CoolerMaster, FSP.
can get last Thermaltake Thoughpower (750/850/1000) units.

to be honest out of everything here Id go with the Corsair dont u think? like HX series or something?

Look at the warranties for the various PSU makes & models. You want a brand & model with at least a 5 year warranty (7 or 10 year being even better). Here's an example from Corsair's site.

Power Supply Units (PSUs)​

• AX Series PSUs:
    • Models with Gold or Platinum efficiency have a 7-year warranty
    • AX850 and AX1000 Titanium-rated PSUs have a 10-year warranty
  • AXi Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty
  • CS Series PSUs have a 3-year warranty
  • CS-M Series PSUs have a 3-year warranty
  • CV Series PSUs have a 3-year warranty
  • CX and CX-M Series PSU Models:
    • Wattages of 400W, 430W, 500W, and 600W have a 3-year warranty
    • Wattages of 450W, 550W, 650W, 750W, and 850W have a 5-year warranty
  • CX-F Series PSUs have a 5-year warranty
  • GS Series PSUs have a 3-year warranty
  • HX Series PSUs:
    • Models with Platinum efficiency have a 10-year warranty
    • Models HX520W, HX620W, and HX1000W have a 5-year warranty
    • All other HX Series Models have a 7-year warranty
  • HXi Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty
  • RM Series PSUs:
    • Models produced before 2019 have a 5-year warranty
    • Models produced 2019 and newer have a 10-year warranty
  • RMi Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty
  • RMx Series PSUs have a 10-year warranty
  • SF Series PSUs have a 7-year warranty
  • TX Series PSUs:
    • Models with Gold efficiency have a 7-year warranty
    • All other TX Series PSUs have a 5-year warranty
  • Vengeance Series PSUs have a 5-year warranty
  • VS Series PSUs have a 3-year warranty
  • VX Series (Models VX450 and VX550) have a 5-year warranty
NOTE: In certain jurisdictions, warranty is void if the safety sticker is broken.

Look at the warranties for the various PSU makes & models. You want a brand & model with at least a 5 year warranty (7 or 10 year being even better). Here's an example from Corsair's site.
have the AX850/1600 available here aswell.

by the way, is it worth getting the AX850 for 310$
or just go for the HX750 for 210$ instead?

(for 12700KF + Cooler + 3070Ti + 32gb ram + fans)

have the AX850/1600 available here aswell.

by the way, is it worth getting the AX850 for 310$
or just go for the HX750 for 210$ instead?

(for 12700KF + Cooler + 3070Ti + 32gb ram + fans)

I dont know why cant I edit my comment,
But anyway I've decided to go with the HX750 , 'till now I put 80+ Gold rated PSUs in my builds and it went well, no need for me to jump to titanium right away, especially when its the difference exactly between getting some ASUS PRIME board or to go with ROG STRIX Z690-F , which I'll do.

Final build :

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F

i7 12700KF

Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420mm

EVGA FTW3 3070Ti (from new egg)

G.Skill Trident-Z5
DDR5 6000 CL36-36-36-76 1.30V
32GB (2x16GB) - Already ordered.

SAMSUNG 980 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB

CORSAIR HX750 80+ Platinum

Fractal Design Torrent

ASUS STRIX RAID DLX 7.1

Price : 3735$ (only GPU is ordered not in IL)

Thoughts?

Back