• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evaporative Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. A bong will shed heat from even a large TEC (peltier) and a heavily overclocked system, and remain at or below room temp (when built right).
BUT...it's not without it's drawbacks. The water can get funky pretty fast with algae and bacteria growing in it, it's a wonderfull dust collector, it needs water to be added daily (either by you or some other means), it raises the room's humidity level, and it constantly sounds like a man peeing in a bucket.

If you can design around these problems, then you'll have a nice cooler.
I had one, and it did a great job. The upkeep made me go back to using a radiator.

It's all about what you're prepared to put up with, and what you have room for. You also need to consider kids, friends (why is beer in my bong?), and pets.

does anyone have a good link or two to give me about this subject? I'm really interested in making one of these since I sorta killed my radiator setup. :) I got time as you can tell.

I miss my bong cooler temps compared to my current radiator setup. What I don't miss is refilling everyday and not being able to run my rig 24/7 because of the fear of my tower drying up :eek: (For a 6ft tower my res was too small (almost a gal.) and my fan was too strong) Also the thing made me want to pee every 30 minutes :D

hmm i remember someone making a bong cooler insde their case or at least attached to the outside of it.

does anyone remember where this was? i am interested in making something like it.

actually I have seen both, one dude, I think his name was blackhawk or something like that, He made a huge case with the bong inside it. Another guy put his on the side pannel. I dont remember what his name was though.

One day Ill run a bong, most likely sometime in the winter. In the summer its MUCH too humid here in minnesota.

Jon

HERE
Obsidian Water God. All the pics are long gone though, because I believe that's from back when they were hosted here instead of hosted elsewhere.

You dont necessarily need a bong for evaporative cooling. Volenti from the OCAU site made a very nice looking cooler that looks relatively simple to build. The thread showing the building of it is here

Hmmmm I seem to like the bongs better for some reason, his setup is... how should I say this... big? What I'm thinking is a Scotch Pad Copper Tubing design of about 3 or 4 feet. Any suggestions?

I think bongs only make sense in a REALLY dry place. They would do next to nana here in houston :(

Plus, you can get a cheap waterchiller for 1/8th the temps and only 2x the money.

Back