• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTLDR missing???????? Whats this meen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnycompbuilder

Registered
ive been messing with my fsb/multiplier on my new nf7-s trying to hit 200 fsb stable and i did so i put it up to 205 but now i get this error when i boot that says "NTLDR missing" i tried formating didnt help, what does this meen?

Sounds as though you've found your limit, at least with present memory settings and voltage.

How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:
More;
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

i would do this except it wont let me boot to the cdrom, its says atapi cdrom... then it gives me the ntldr error, i attempted formating didnt change anything even with default settings any suggestions?

Hmmm...

Have you tried clearing CMOS yet?

Normally OC'ing a little too far leads to harddrive corruption. So you reset the system to normal, and fix the system files.

Someone with more experience with Nforce chipsets may have some other ideas for you.

naw havent tried clearing the CMOS, i think im gonna try a bios flash first what do you think? Or should i just clear CMOS?

There should be a jumper on the motherboard, probably close to the CMOS battery. Turn the computer off, turn off the rocker switch on the power supply, move the jumper to the clear position. I usually hit the power switch once while the jumper is on clear and the PSU is shut off, just to make sure it is drained.

This should reset the BIOS to factory default. A big problem with Nforcechipset motherboards is that this hasn't allways been enough.
But the more extreme measures were necessary only when the computer wouldn't even POST (just a black screen). Yours is at least POST'ing, so I think clearing CMOS will do the trick.

One question, before you tried to repair the NTLDR, did you change the boot order to boot from the CDROM first?

yeah man ive corrupted my HD 3 times now trying either to high of fsb, or 2 high of multi, tried the cdrom boot first and it tries but then i get the ntldr error before anything, im gonna go flash cmos right now see if that works and if it doesent im getting a new bios because im running the one that came on the board

flshed the cmos, still the same error on boot, ntldr missing, it says atapi cdrom but then it doesent say "any key to boot" like it used to, should i now attempt to flash the bios???????? and is this a MB problem or HD?

One way to narrow it down would be to unplug the harddrive's IDE cable. It should POST, then request a system disc.
If you get the same error, you will know it is your motherboard at fault.
When the harddrive is unplugged, you won't get the NTLDR message. I'm curious to see what it will say about the CDROM. Is it possible that your CDROM is acting up, or that your XP disc has been damaged, and is therefore not bootable now?

i unplugged the HD that had windows(30 gig western digital) and plugged in my 80 gig as master and it would post then say detecting IDE drives then it would detect it and lock up, im goign to flash the bios right now see if that helps, i did flash the CMOS and it didnt help

dnycompbuilder said:
yeah man ive corrupted my HD 3 times now trying either to high of fsb, or 2 high of multi, tried the cdrom boot first and it tries but then i get the ntldr error before anything, im gonna go flash cmos right now see if that works and if it doesent im getting a new bios because im running the one that came on the board

Why don't you use PCI lock?:rolleyes:

Back