• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
Dual Pumps!

I am thinking of running dual pumps. that way if one goes out I still have the other and my cpu isn't fried. has anyone tried this? does it add extra pressure or flow? if so how much.

dual%20pumps.jpg

I know that there are a few people who use this. I do not know if it will give you more pressure, but I would assume it would. The only thing about that is that there is overkill when it comes to pressure. You may just want to look into getting a high flow pump like the Danner Mag 5 or Eheim 1060.

I am more interested in the safety aspect of having two pumps. If it adds to much extra pressure I will just get two smaller pumps like the Eheim 1048 or the Hydor L20.

altec - sorry to hear about your rig. makes me a little scared for my endevore. I will be doing an external unit though.

Its doing ok. I am RMAing the motherboard since Abit told me that was the thing to do. Hopefull I will be back up and running in the next couple weeks. I am going on vacation for 2 weeks tomorrow, so I will only be on the forums a little on my laptop.

Why 2 draw tubes? and should I us 3/8" ID tubing going into and out of the pumps and then 1/2 inch for the rest of the system. Or would it be OK to use 1/2 inch for the whole system.

altec - good to hear you are getting an RMA with no hassles. have a great vacation! :)

If the pumps are parallel to each other there will be more flow. If their in series then there will be more pressure.

----PUMP1----

----PUMP2---- (More flow)

--PUMP1--PUMP2-- (More pressure)

Chris_F, were did you get this info? do you have a site that will break it down for me. How much more flow or pressure will I see. Is their an equation or standard percentage of gain.

I googled Serial and Parrallel pumps a while back. (search this forum through my posts allong with serial)

an expirement that I found said with 2 identical pumps running in serial you get 1.85 times the pressure of the pump. I would expect it to be closer to 2 times the pressure of the pump (or the pumps pressure output added together) because his expirement had many 90 degree turns that would cut pressure, and I never saw him subtract the pressure drop that they would cause.

It should be the same for pumps in parellel.

I am planing on going for the 2 pumps in serial approach because the average watercooling system is restrictive needing higher pressure to get more flow through the pipes.

Hope this helps
Carl V.

What would be the difference between more flow and more pressure? It seems that more flow would equal more pressure.

I heard it form someone on this forum. I don't know how much it will add, but I do know it will be less then 2X.

I think more flow would be more desirable.

Chris_F said:
I heard it form someone on this forum. I don't know how much it will add, but I do know it will be less then 2X.

I think more flow would be more desirable.

Easiest way to determine it is an electric analogy. Consider a pump like a voltage source. Two identical batteries in parrellel provide twice the current at the same voltage. Two identical batteries in series provide the twice their individual voltage at the same current.

Back