• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

single loop two pumps question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pr2112

Registered
Doing a rebuild..
Taking my pc out of the case and putting it up on the wall, so I`m upgrading the cooling solution.
I`m gonna be installing a single loop with two pumps in series, and the pumps will be running 24/7.

I have a separate power supply for the pumps and am wondering if I need to have controllers in there
to make sure that the pumps are in sync, or can I just wire them up and let `em rip?

tia,
PR2112.

Here`s what`s going into it.......

System:
Motherboard: Asus Z-590 Maximus XIII Hero
CPU: I9-11900K
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA HYDRO COPPER 12GB
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaw V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 F4-3600C14D-32GVK
Samsung B-die CL14-15-15-35

Power:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT
A separate DC12V30A power supply for water pumps -
cigarette lighter and stuff

Cooling Solution: Single Loop...
CPU Water block: XSPC RayStorm Edge
Dual Laing DDC-1T+ pumps with Alphacool plexi top
Dual Phobya G-Changer 560 Radiators --FEAR IT--
8-Zalman SF140 Fans
dual 400x50mm Reservoirs
uxcell A11120300ux00190.2-2.0 GPM Flowmeter -
-if it works-

Media:
1 dvd burner
1 blu ray/dvd burner

Waveshare 13.3 inch Touch Screen
-for specs- and stuff.

I picked up one of these for my pumps. It kept the build nice and clean. Probably the same idea as the alphacool you are looking at. Personally I don't think you need a separate PSU for them, especially with a 1000w, I didn't on my build. To answer your primary question, no you don't need to worry about syncing them up.

If you're using PC based components like DDCs they should already be wired with molex/sata/fan headers and can plug right in. Ideally you could run the rpm wire from one of them to the motherboard CPU_fan header. This will prevent you having to bypass an error message and also prevent you from booting without the pump running.

I picked up one of these for my pumps. It kept the build nice and clean. Probably the same idea as the alphacool you are looking at. Personally I don't think you need a separate PSU for them, especially with a 1000w, I didn't on my build. To answer your primary question, no you don't need to worry about syncing them up.
BugFreak,
Thanks for your recommendation of the dual top mod top, but that wouldn`t work with the way that I`m running this loop. I`ll post pics of what I have put together so far. plus you`re is running d5 pumps and I have ddc`s.

And yeah, it`s probably not a good idea to run the pumps off the generic 120 to12v 30amp converter, because I really don`t know i how reliable it is for 24/7 use.

Thanks again,

PR2112.

If you're using PC based components like DDCs they should already be wired with molex/sata/fan headers and can plug right in. Ideally you could run the rpm wire from one of them to the motherboard CPU_fan header. This will prevent you having to bypass an error message and also prevent you from booting without the pump running.

Zerileous,​

This is the 4th build I`ve ever done (last one 12 years ago), so I wasn`t sure how to run the wiring for two pumps.
And I've never tried wiring rgb leds,...

Hopefully it wont be a nightmare.

I`ve got most everything mounted on the front of the board. Then Ill take some pics and post.

Thanks for your help,

PR2112.

Finaly got my new phone (long story), so here is a picture of what I`ve done so far...
Hoping this works.....

Attachments

• The Wall as of 8-2-23.jpg
    The Wall as of 8-2-23.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 8
I'm not a wc expert, but is there space behind the radiator to allow air to move away? Otherwise you're blowing (I assume and not pulling, and blowing into your face) to a wall.

That was my question too. I would set the fans to blow in towards the wall with space behind for the air to escape. I'd give it an inch or two. Also I would consider air movement over the motherboard but not a requirement.

Just so I'm clear on the build, the pic makes it look like a two loop set up versus the single you were talking about or will it be in series so something like cpu > res > pump > rad > gpu > pump > rad > res? Also what's the big black thing on the bottom?

Love the background btw.

I have run 2 mcp-655 (dual bay set). With that setup, both pumps work together and actually increase the max head pressure. This allows for more connections or running the setup under a water chiller. If you believe that you need 2 pumps this is the way to go.
PPCS ( https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...mium-dual-5-25-reservoir-blue-m2-ddcp-bl.html ) has a nice selection on res to choose from.
That is awful nice, I kinda wish thatI knew those existed back then, but it is what it is now,... no turning back. Hind sight is 20/20, as they say.

That was my question too. I would set the fans to blow in towards the wall with space behind for the air to escape. I'd give it an inch or two. Also I would consider air movement over the motherboard but not a requirement.

Just so I'm clear on the build, the pic makes it look like a two loop set up versus the single you were talking about or will it be in series so something like cpu > res > pump > rad > gpu > pump > rad > res? Also what's the big black thing on the bottom?

Love the background btw.
Thanks for your post,
The idea is for it to run from the cpu, up, over, and around the right radiator, in and out to the right pump > right res > gpu > left res > left pump, > left rad, then back up and around to the cpu... haha. Looks good to my brain cell.

Here`s a couple of pics to show what`s going on ~behind.

17.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg
Post magically merged:

Sorry., had a problem resizing the jpgs.
Post magically merged:

Oh, and the big rectangular thing at the bottom is the 13.3 inch touch screen.

Last edited:
WOW.. Thanks for the picture :thup: Are you going to have RGB or any DYE running in the loop?

Maybe I misred but you always want to have your reservoir before the pump. Once the loop is full it might not be an issue but filling will be really difficult and air bubbles trapped in the radiator will be fed directly to the pump (possibly damaging it or decreasing its lifespan).

WOW.. Thanks for the picture :thup: Are you going to have RGB or any DYE running in the loop?
I`ve never really been the biggest RGB fan (pun intended), but for this Wall mount setup, I figure it`s gonna need something.

So what I did was, I took a skill saw, and a jigsaw, and cut slots through the MDF board 1 1/2 or 2" in from the edges at the saw blades width. Then routered the front deep enough to insert diffusers, before gluing the Pink Floyd tapestry down.
Oh, and also two 18" slots behind the reservoirs.
If you zoom in enough and look around, you`ll see where I pushed down a little to hard on the material.

And bought a roll of ARGB lights from amazon. (ws2815 12 volt dual signal 5050 smd 18 per foot) Then there`s the motherboard, CPU block, 2 pumps, 8 fans, and the GPU its self lights up quite a bit. Plus the 13" display.

As far as the loop is concerned, I`m planning on just using distilled water with the usual inhibitors, and then adding some UV reactive dye to it. (probably green)
And I got two 24" 365nm fluorescent black lights to be mounted on the ceiling a couple feet upfront, one foot apart. because I found out that using my little 356nm flashlight, that tapestry really pops.

And here`s a pic of that, though it was taken while it was daylight out and the curtains are not entirely closed...

thewall blklight.jpg

I`ll try to take picture of it with a real black light tonight.
Post magically merged:

Maybe I misred but you always want to have your reservoir before the pump. Once the loop is full it might not be an issue but filling will be really difficult and air bubbles trapped in the radiator will be fed directly to the pump (possibly damaging it or decreasing its lifespan).
hmmm, didn`t think about that.
Do you it would be ok, if I just filled the system with the Left pump. Then when everything is good to go,... turn on the Right pump?

Last edited:
Nah it merged your last post with the one before it, and contained a quote of my post. But all good!

I think that *could* work, a radiator is kind of like a reservoir as it holds a lot of water, but sometimes it takes a long time for air to make its way out of a radiator, especially the way that is mounted (as it sometimes takes some unusual orientations to get the bubbles out). Note that with your amount of rad, a few small air pockets won't hurt much either, as long as they don't go into the pump. I'm not suggesting you try it, but it could work.

Since I'm a visual person I find it always helps to try to sketch it out. Here is a possible alternative. Not saying this is the best or only way to do it, just a potential suggestion. The only "rule" is to make sure the res is above and immediately before the pump. Some GPU blocks and most CPU block also have recommended inlets. It matters a lot more for the CPU usually.

version1.png

It also might be weird / interesting to put the tubing through the board and have the runs go behind the components. The GPU tubing could even go through the top/back holes and the GPU tubes would be completely hidden. version2.png If this sounds impossible/crazy/stupid, no worries it's your build, just something that occurred to me randomly.

Nah it merged your last post with the one before it, and contained a quote of my post. But all good!

I think that *could* work, a radiator is kind of like a reservoir as it holds a lot of water, but sometimes it takes a long time for air to make its way out of a radiator, especially the way that is mounted (as it sometimes takes some unusual orientations to get the bubbles out). Note that with your amount of rad, a few small air pockets won't hurt much either, as long as they don't go into the pump. I'm not suggesting you try it, but it could work.

Since I'm a visual person I find it always helps to try to sketch it out. Here is a possible alternative. Not saying this is the best or only way to do it, just a potential suggestion. The only "rule" is to make sure the res is above and immediately before the pump. Some GPU blocks and most CPU block also have recommended inlets. It matters a lot more for the CPU usually.

It also might be weird / interesting to put the tubing through the board and have the runs go behind the components. The GPU tubing could even go through the top/back holes and the GPU tubes would be completely hidden. If this sounds impossible/crazy/stupid, no worries it's your build, just something that occurred to me randomly.

Zerileous,
Thanks for catching that bit with the res before the rad being bass ackwards..
It kinda threw me for a loop there. (pun intended)

I`m going to have to go back to the drawing board (like you said), and figure out how to fix that so it will still come out semi-symmetric.
I don`t think I like the idea of running the loop through the back though, but I wont write it off completely.

In the mean time, never having to deal with this whole RGB lighting stuff, I still have a lot of wiring to figure out, and am waiting for some fan extensions.

Thanks again for your input and ideas, it`s really appreciated, and I`ll post more on this thread as I go,

pr2112.

Back