• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All of the thermal material buzz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Phreak

I would like to announce I will be conducting a test. On Sunday I
put an order into xoxide for a bottle of nanotherm pcm+.
I have talked to some instructors at school in the IT dept. and they have agreed to help me out in a test of the product. It would not be 100% lab accurate, as they will be using on die or in socket temps, but they will give an idea hopefully of the products abilities.

Various test beds include my thunderbird, celeron_phreaks celery, a duron, rack mounted xenon's, and various other p3 or p4 machines.

This test will obviously take some time, due to the nature of the product being tested, as we all know, cant be just slapped on and then reported as the best or worst.

Hopefully this will shed some light on things.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to get some of this and do my own mini thermal compound roundup. The old standby Arctic Silver 3 vs Shin Etsu G-751 vs Nanotherm PCM+. I wish I had ceramique instead of AS3 since it seems a bit better, but I expect the real contest would be between the shin etsu and nanotherm anyways.

Looking foreward to the results... whats the estimated time for you to finish?

Few days at first, then a final long term burn in, probably 30 days. I have yet to get the paste, it was 2 day air mailed, so probably tomorrow. Time to go to the bar for the first time now. :D

Well, it looks like they are out of the PCM+, so i might switch the order to ceramique. Then when they get some pcm+ in, order that up. I am thinking about doing a test of both thermal materials, as they seem to be neck and neck. We will see what the email from Xoxide says.

Yeah, I noticed that myself when I was checking xoxide. Looks like Nanotherm needs to work on broadening their distribution a bit ;)

Man they are out of the ceramique too. I guess i will have to settle for some as3, until they get some pcm+ in.
This alumina stuff i am using now is not all that.

Oh my, a new competitor for AS3? This Nanotherm PCM+ seems to be generating quite the overclocking buzz over the past few days. Any idea on what you expect the results of your test to be AMD Phreak? Hehe, any ummm....predictions? :D

Not really. I think it is going to be a different test than most others, as it is not really to serious of a benchmark, but more of a look at how it does on various systems. The dual xenon setup i mentioned, for example is located in a server cabinet which if the doors are shut, the whole thing takes a dump due to heating up too much. now, while this wont be too good of an example, it will give us a look at how it performs in a server application. The other tests, are mostly purely overclockers. The Duron and my TBird i think are chips that are known to be hot, so when you oc one, it increases the heat accordingly. Good test.

So, no, no predictions yet.

Ah ok, well they said it would be a few weeks, so maybe they have other people on back order, and yeah.

Anyhow, i have obtained a supply of AS products from a member here, so i will test those out, and then give the pcm+ a try as well, as it is a new product and i want to get results from both sides, as i feel this will be somewhat of a unique test situation. I thinking about trying to find more servers to test the materials on, as i think that this idea will be quite benificial.

FrozenCPU has it in stock. 3dcool appears to as well though they don't explicitly say "in stock" for the pcm+ ([edit] guess they do once you add it to your cart). C'mon now, don't play favorites :p

We never play favorites. It's not appropriate for me to pimp any of our Resellers on the Forums (hence the 'send me a private message' comment). Since one of the other Forum members had brought up the subject of the availability / non-availability of PCM+ at a particular shop, I wanted to let them know what I know. No favs here - we appreciate and respect all of our Resellers equally :)

Favorites? Lol... i never actually have bought anything from xoxide. it just happens that i had found a few other things from them. I need to get some more cash lol.

Cúchulainn said:
FrozenCPU has it in stock. 3dcool appears to as well though they don't explicitly say "in stock" for the pcm+ ([edit] guess they do once you add it to your cart). C'mon now, don't play favorites :p

You've done your homework. Once again, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to post that information, as I indicated above. Since you mentioned these great shops, though, I will confirm the fact that both companies do have the new product in stock.

Back