• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducker

I just got one of those 1700+ chips from SVC when they had that deal going on a while back. From what I've heard, they overclock very well. On the chip is this info:

AXDA1700DLT3C 9591037281847
JIUHB O319WPMW

I am undecided about what mb to get. I am considering getting an Abit NF7-S. Anyother ideas? Of course I want to get as much out out of this chip as I can. Any sugestions on good cooling hsf? Unfortunatily watercooling isn't in my buget. :(

Ducker said:
I am considering getting an Abit NF7-S.

I have heard good things about that board and the epox 8RDA+, but I have a Soltek 75FRN-RL and its really good. Its good for overclocking, too. If you are on a budget you may want to consider the soltek over the Abit or Epox. Although its not as good of an overclocking board, its still quite good for the price.

Yah, from every thing I've heard & seen, it looks like a good choice. I'd have to save up a little longer to get it. It's killing me not being able to try this chip out! Are there any "buget" boards that will overclock well? Or would I be better off just waiting and getting a good mb?

Thermalright SLK800A with your choice of a fan;
Only 0.01 C/W worse than the SLK900 and identical in performance to the SLK900U.

http://www.case-mod.com/store/produ...70&PHPSESSID=933f9f2221f62429b1f73928d8b408ec

or

$14.99 Thermalright SK-7
http://www.case-mod.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=350

Don't forget a fan, nothing too loud, but pretty much any 80x25mm will do with SK-7.
http://www.svc.com/thersmarcasf.html

Look for directions on how to apply thermal paste (it comes with sk-7) but this is a good one:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_alumina_instructions.htm

If you don't need SATA or Soundstorm, you could always get the $95 plain NF7... Just as good as the NF7-s in all overclocking abilities. The SK7 is an excellent choice, too.

I'd take Gautam's advice and go with the NF-7 if you don't need SATA or the better sound.

If you are on a budget, go with the NF7 or the Epox 8RDA+. If you can afford to throw some extra $ into the motherboard look at the NF7-S. They are all good overclocking boards, and will suit that 1700 that you have well.

The NS7-S is the mobo im getting IF I go AMD. The only problem is it does not have Dual Channel DDR (unless I overlooked it). The Dual Channel is a big thing for me considering im sheeling out over 100 dollars for memory.

Ducker said:
Thanks c627627. That looks like a pretty good hsf combo.

If you decide to get a SLK-800, I suggest to get the SLK-800U instead of the SLK-800A for a few dollar more.

Due to the more than 500 g mass of the heat sink, the U-version which uses 4 screws to secure the heat sink on the motherboard is a better choice than the A-version using clips.

The screw based U-version allows one to gently mount the heat sink onto the CPU die by gradually tightening, using fractional turn, successively of the 4 screws, instead of potentially applying uneven force and stress onto the CPU surface during mounting and unmounting of the A-version heat sink.

Ducker said:
I just got one of those 1700+ chips from SVC when they had that deal going on a while back. From what I've heard, they overclock very well. On the chip is this info:

AXDA1700DLT3C 9591037281847
JIUHB O319WPMW

I am undecided about what mb to get. I am considering getting an Abit NF7-S. Anyother ideas? Of course I want to get as much out out of this chip as I can. Any sugestions on good cooling hsf? Unfortunatily watercooling isn't in my buget. :(

go with the NF7-s.... and i hope your 0319 will do more than the one i bought, it only does 2.3. my 0310 will do 2568

Re: Re: Motherboard advice

polarys425 said:

go with the NF7-s.... and i hope your 0319 will do more than the one i bought, it only does 2.3. my 0310 will do 2568
other way around for me...i can take my 0310 up to 2.4 but not totally stable. It is good around 2.3. But you can't beat getting a overclock that is better then any new cpu you can buy :)

Back