• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LGA 1155 motherboard for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DelLee

So I'm currently running the same PC's I've ran for at least 10 years. Both have i7 2600k chips on old Gigabyte MB's oc'd to 4.7ghz & 4.5ghz. I am upgrading motherboards and am looking for the best MB for overclocking these. Anybody familiar with this chip? These 2600K's have gotten so cheap and they run so well for me I figure I can replace them easily if I burn em up. I feel like somebody out here knows the best MB for these older chips.

I like upper end Asus, I had a midrange Asus that died. I was able to find a board here, a Z77-OCFormula.. super nice board. Handles all of my DDR3 with no problems.. my old Asus did not like to run my old Hypers from X58. The only con is that it is huge, so you will need a case that can do EATX or breadboard it.

I like upper end Asus, I had a midrange Asus that died. I was able to find a board here, a Z77-OCFormula.. super nice board. Handles all of my DDR3 with no problems.. my old Asus did not like to run my old Hypers from X58. The only con is that it is huge, so you will need a case that can do EATX or breadboard it.
I've been looking at the Asus P8P67 Deluxe. I don't know much about them, just that they seem to be rather expensive for an old board, so thought there may be a reason for that. I actually just got a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 and that's what seemed to let me go to 4.7ghz, may keep it. Was thinking of maybe just getting another. Still not my dream of 5ghz, but it's headed in the right direction. Maybe I should be trying to figure out the best chip from that era to hit 5ghz instead. Since that was my actual goal. But $30 chips running at 4.7ghz is kind of hard to beat. This Asus may be the one to try. They have the regular, LE, Pro, Deluxe and a WS Revolution. It can never just be cut & dry.

I was pushing Maximus V Gene to the limits with all chips. It was also one of the best mobos for RAM OC. Other than that, ASRock OCFormula will probably be the best. I don't remember what happened with mine, but for some reason, I sold it and kept ASUS.

^ I also snagged the Gene for OCing the 2600k/3770k. Something to think about - Woomack did many ddr3 + cpu OCing with the top ASUS boards That are posted on here.

Back