• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing An LGA CPU For The First Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FievelJ

When I first saw my CPUs and saw it was tiny electronic plates I soon realized that it was a good idea not to touch them. Just instinct?
My dual Opteron 6378 was my first CPU installation which didn't have actual pins, which has corrupt bios but I am not replacing the board again.

No instead I am going from AMD to Intel as I price my new system, the board I am looking at is an MSI, https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144600?Item=N82E16813144600
The only problem will be seeing an ordinary board in a case large enough for a server board, which was gotten for that purpose, more like odd thing really.

It'll look funny in such a large case, it also only comes with 4 SATAs, and I plan to use all my drives, so I will have to get a SATA control card, just to add more.
I also aimed at something overclockable even though I am not sure I will do much overclocking on it, as I just want something faster than what I have, and something which can play back a 4K disc.
I don't actually have a screen that can go that high, but I want something I can do later upgrades to it.

Anyways just wondered if anyone else had some of the same experiences as myself.

so I will have to get a SATA control card, just to add more.
Why not buy a board with six (or more)? That's pretty common.

I also aimed at something overclockable even though I am not sure I will do much overclocking on it
B760 chipset doesn't overclock the cpu...memory only. You'll need z790 (or find one of the boards with clockgen and bclk overclock). Something like a z790 tomahawk wifi... 7 sata ports...

...maybe it's time to move to m.2 as well... a nice super fast OS and apps drive?

as I just want something faster than what I have, and something which can play back a 4K disc.
Newest processors can do that, but typically something for a video card (has built in encoding, etc). Are you using one? If so, which one? What cpu?

Not sure what experience you mean?? Is this a build help thread? :)

Last edited:
Why not buy a board with six (or more)? That's pretty common.
Will try to reconsider it, I also plan on getting a 4K drive down the road.

B760 chipset doesn't overclock the cpu...memory only. You'll need z790 (or find one of the boards with clockgen and bclk overclock). Something like a z790 tomahawk wifi... 7 sata ports...

...maybe it's time to move to m.2 as well... a nice super fast OS and apps drive?
Will have to consider that too, in the case I would like to overclock in the future.
The cost is kind of high, I only actually get 1104 per month, so I need to be careful with my budgeting, could place some aside soon just to get a better board.

Newest processors can do that, but typically something for a video card (has built in encoding, etc). Are you using one? If so, which one? What cpu?

Not sure what experience you mean?? Is this a build help thread? :)
Yes and no.
I guess more yes than no, and you have been VERY helpful.
And the dual system I would have if the system bios weren't corrupt was one of my first LGA setups. And of course had to install two chips, but I went through too many of these boards and instead of getting another one, thinking of getting an Intel system.

So there's a good chance that my system when I post will change in the future.

Will try to reconsider it, I also plan on getting a 4K drive down the road.
What's a 4K drive? If I counted your signature correctly, you have four SATA drives. With a board that has six, adding what I'm GUESSING is an optical drive won't matter as 4+1 = 5 which is still < 6+. You simply need to buy a board that works for you. There are B760 based boards with six SATA ports (low end Asus models, B760M-A). Othwise, you'll have to jump up to Z790 (which again is the only platform that overclocks the Intel processor).

And the dual system I would have if the system bios weren't corrupt was one of my first LGA setups. And of course had to install two chips, but I went through too many of these boards and instead of getting another one, thinking of getting an Intel system.
Right, you said that in the first post.... all good...

.... was thinking though, doesn't your current board have a BIOS chip you can replace? Maybe look into getting a new one if you want to keep that ancient, but cool AF system you have. :)

Just remember you're going to need to pay for new RAM (either DDR4 or DDR5) on the new platform... so it's the whole ball of wax... likely a new cooler, or at minimum new mounting hardware...

So there's a good chance that my system when I post will change in the future.
Just be sure to ask here before buying so you can get the best for your money/what you need. If left on your own, you would've bought a board to overclock that can't and doesn't have enough SATA ports. We're here to help. :)

What's a 4K drive? If I counted your signature correctly, you have four SATA drives. With a board that has six, adding what I'm GUESSING is an optical drive won't matter as 4+1 = 5 which is still < 6+. You simply need to buy a board that works for you. There are B760 based boards with six SATA ports (low end Asus models, B760M-A). Othwise, you'll have to jump up to Z790 (which again is the only platform that overclocks the Intel processor).
4K. UHD Drive.
My system has 2 1TB drives, and 2 500s. It is not all listed I haven't updated that in awhile.
I also have two optical Blu Ray reader burners. But haven't used them to burn anything Blu Ray in a long time. So I am using all six. Still might want to get another SSD as my other one is in my life partner's computer.

Right, you said that in the first post.... all good...

.... was thinking though, doesn't your current board have a BIOS chip you can replace? Maybe look into getting a new one if you want to keep that ancient, but cool AF system you have. :)
Maybe I could order one just until I get a new build, as it would be nice to have access of both CPUs again. Instead of it coming up with Incorrect Combination CPU 2. Even checked it in the bios setup to see where I had the ram, and had it right by the book. I know where it's suppose to be on the board as I did have one which worked. And the dumb board didn't care where I had the ram, and worked anyways. But still made sure it was in there right, as I wanted it installed correctly.

Just remember you're going to need to pay for new RAM (either DDR4 or DDR5) on the new platform... so it's the whole ball of wax... likely a new cooler, or at minimum new mounting hardware...
I do realize that I need new ram, that's almost a given.

Just be sure to ask here before buying so you can get the best for your money/what you need. If left on your own, you would've bought a board to overclock that can't and doesn't have enough SATA ports. We're here to help. :)
I will ask, I am pretty sure I am getting it right now, to which hardware to get, just in the case I do want to overclock it.

Will probably have to get this a part at a time, am looking at a board.

If a new bios chip helps maybe I'll get one, and see. Then I have my whole system until I build a new one. My system would be a total of 16 cores and 32 logical processors. 8 cores per CPU of course, and had had it running with both at one time.

Thanks again, if I need more advice I will ask.

Back