• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long time, no fold!--Back at it ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

Been out so long I have the 10 year badge!! :attn:

I have been without a desktop for about 8 years give or take. Honestly, I cannot remember when I had one to fold with in some time, but I know the 4P link in my sig was at the apex of when I was at it--then that funded a vacation with the Wife :ROFLMAO:!

As for now... I built my kid a PC for Christmas and inherited his "older" one (by design, as my wife might say :LOL:), but its not that its old, its that it was a budget $800 gaming PC 1.5 years ago (which I have since upgraded CPU and Gfx)--because he wanted an all white gaming PC with the fancy lights and all. As for now, just running a modest setup-- AMD 5700X with a Be-quiet cooler, and a GTX4060 stock cooling. Crazy to see the PPD on these WU's today. Of course a LOT has changed and I am sure calculation metrics are adjusted with the newer tech. Since I still follow F@H on X, occasionally seeing great headlines has mused me to start back up! Although I have this rig for mainly gaming with my kid (seldom) but this guy sits in my office idling away since work is crazy and I have a work laptop to take up my normal use PC time... Might as well fold!

Hope you all are well--I'll try to keep up: in the forums and especially on the leader board ;)

I have been without a desktop for about 8 years give or take. Honestly, I cannot remember when I had one to fold with in some time, but I know the 4P link in my sig was at the apex of when I was at it--then that funded a vacation with the Wife :ROFLMAO:!

As for now... I built my kid a PC for Christmas and inherited his "older" one (by design, as my wife might say :LOL:), but its not that its old, its that it was a budget $800 gaming PC 1.5 years ago (which I have since upgraded CPU and Gfx)--because he wanted an all white gaming PC with the fancy lights and all. As for now, just running a modest setup-- AMD 5700X with a Be-quiet cooler, and a GTX4060 stock cooling. Crazy to see the PPD on these WU's today. Of course a LOT has changed and I am sure calculation metrics are adjusted with the newer tech. Since I still follow F@H on X, occasionally seeing great headlines has mused me to start back up! Although I have this rig for mainly gaming with my kid (seldom) but this guy sits in my office idling away since work is crazy and I have a work laptop to take up my normal use PC time... Might as well fold!

Hope you all are well--I'll try to keep up: in the forums and especially on the leader board ;)
Glad to see you checking in Steve. :cheers: ...Seems like the last time I saw you we were running 4P's:geek:

Glad to see you checking in Steve. :cheers: ...Seems like the last time I saw you we were running 4P's:geek:
Indeed I was! I think that was 2012?! :chair: Good to see the team still cookin'! Guess we have some ground to catch back up to toward #2/3 ;)

I have x2 idle work PCs (dont worry... its MY office, and MY equipment; perks of not being in the Army anymore and my own boss :ROFLMAO:)--Might have those give a hand (3060oc and another 4060)! Our production line has 2 more months lead time, so they could use a break in and a warm up in the mean time!

It's not GTX 4060 but RTX 4060 :) Good to have you back and BTW I still have both of my 4p's :) I use Windows 10 Pro for Workstation on them, it supports all 4 CPU's.

It's not GTX 4060 but RTX 4060 :) Good to have you back and BTW I still have both of my 4p's :) I use Windows 10 Pro for Workstation on them, it supports all 4 CPU's.
See! Told ya I been out too long 😆🤣 GTX came more ‘programmed’ off my fingers rather RTX… yall pickin up what I’m puttin down 😅🤙

Yeah—that 4P was fun to build and play with! Would love to do a multi proc. For the fun of it again!

Here is 2 screen shots of 1 of my 4p's idle and folding :)

Win10-64-cores.jpg

Win10-64-cores-F@H.jpg
Post magically merged:

See! Told ya I been out too long 😆🤣 GTX came more ‘programmed’ off my fingers rather RTX… yall pickin up what I’m puttin down 😅🤙

Yeah—that 4P was fun to build and play with! Would love to do a multi proc. For the fun of it again!
Check out this 2P here :)

Last edited:
Just a quick Qs (don't worry, I will use the search function, just getting back used to how the threads work ;)

1) I am running the 7.6.21... (I am running on Windows 11 if that makes a difference), but seems more app based than what I remember... I thought there was an option for CMD line interface, or i forgot how to get to it. I'll give a parse through the newb guides too ;)
2) Lastly--WU type: specify a type'? or you all just letting the app pick WUs?

(WH--I'll drop you a line today too!)

Last edited:

I am so glad you are folding again. :clap:

Just a quick Qs (don't worry, I will use the search function, just getting back used to how the threads work ;)

1) I am running the 7.6.21... (I am running on Windows 11 if that makes a difference), but seems more app based than what I remember... I thought there was an option for CMD line interface, or i forgot how to get to it. I'll give a parse through the newb guides too ;)

I remember the command line interface version as well, I think they have moved beyond that and just let the app pick the WU otherwise project depending you might end up waiting for work units, I bounce back and forth from cancer to alzheimer's. Oh and don't leave the advanced control window open if your not looking at it, it chews into ppd and also delete the cpu from the slots box as it is basically a waste of time and hurts the ppd of the gpu. I found it hard to believe that my cpu wouldn't be productive but a day after letting it run on just the gpu my ppd drastically increased.

I currently have 8 PC's folding, 7 of those I don't have the Control window up, the 8th PC I do have it up as I use it to monitor and manage all the clients.
The slot in orange is down for PSU replacement.

manage-setup.jpg

So, are you confirming it helps with PPD or just stating that's how you run it?

I'm struggling to see how it would help.

I just notice that when I leave my pc alone and let it fold it will usually hover around the 9.9 million but if I leave the control window open my ppd will steadily drop down to 7.5 and if I close it again and check it 10 min later it'll be back up, the same with the pc running the 2080 super.

On another topic if I set affinity on the fah_core will it stay that way until a reboot?

That fluctuates quite a bit for me when it's always up. But that's a HUGE difference in points... I can't fathom how minimizing versus having it seen would be anywhere close to that. CPU use barely moves, and I'm not sure it hits anything on the GPU in the first place.

I'll give it a whirl, though. ;)

just x it to the taskbar and check it in a few min, it doesn't make much sense to me either since it doesn't even register any cpu usage on the task manager. Are your 2080 supers at stock or did you set a vcurve for them? I'll attach a screenshot of mine to this post Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
As I said, it fluctuates quite a bit with it up anyway if I look every few mins, so I'm not sure if that's a good barometer in the first place. Like I said, I'll check it out, but, not holding my breath on this one, especially for such a big difference in PPD. I do hope Im missing something! LOL

EDIT: Leaving it up, it fluctuates only a couple hundred thousand on the same WU

Last edited:

Dude you are going to pass me today......:(:chair:

Back