• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back after a long Hiatus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

Been out of the fold for a while now since Crytpo has been the big thing. Now, standard hardware won't make any crypto these days unless you run ASIC miners. Running a 13700k with 2x GTX 1080 and have some decent PPD. Looking to get the rest of the rigs borged once I get some more solar up.

1677149837982.png

Been out of the fold for a while now since Crytpo has been the big thing. Now, standard hardware won't make any crypto these days unless you run ASIC miners. Running a 13700k with 2x GTX 1080 and have some decent PPD. Looking to get the rest of the rigs borged once I get some more solar up.

View attachment 360960
Welcome back.
I too have recently come back to Team 32 to fold after many years away.
I never went to try crypto.

MisterEd,
I hope you sort out the most efficient way to incorporate your many GPUs to Fold.

Attachments

• Overclockers 2_24_20223.jpg
    Overclockers 2_24_20223.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
MisterEd,
I hope you sort out the most efficient way to incorporate your many GPUs to Fold.
What do you mean by most efficient way? I am folding with both the GTX 1060 and RTX 3060Ti. I also tried folding with the RTX 3060 but had to stop because the 90C CPU temperarature made me nervous. I guess folding with a laptop is not very practical.

By most efficient way, I meant how to set folding for each GPU.
I recently learned to pause my CPU to get more PPD (about a 10% - 15% increase) in the Advanced Control of F@H. I overclock my to desktop GPUs (MSI Afterburner) a bit to get a little more PPD for the same watts. These two choices afford better efficiency which I define as more PPD per watt.
I am folding on my laptop's 3080 Max-Q getting about 2.5 million PPD.

Yea, I have these 2 x 1080 GTXs on water, so I'm never worried about it. I have the 13700k on a big air cooler, and it does pipe up a little. It keeps the room warm so I just trade the cost of the heater for some F@H action.

Does anyone run an AMD Epyc here or one of the new Xeons? Curious to see what everyone runs.

We're nearing summer where my panels start putting out more power, and I just picked up 5 more panels to add. Going to add some more machines, so should hit about 5 million PPD and maybe more if I get ambitious.

Some photos of the pre-build excitment. lol

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
I dont think there's a lot of cpus going because it's so inefficient compared to gpus these days.

I've been running my CPU's along with my GPU's but I think that @WhitehawkEQ has about got me cured on that. I may stop all CPU & GPU folding in favor of all GPU and see what my points do.

I guess CPU mining can't hurt if you have the extra electricity. Just throw up the extra machine and forget about it.
Post magically merged:

I've also been working on converting my power to full 240 single phase for my room up from 120 split phase. It'll allow me to run more machines and save a little money on resistance losses.

Folding with my CPU reduced the PPD I get on both my 4090 and 3080. I get between 10% to 15% more PPD by pausing the CPU in the Advanced Control.

So it saves electric power and increases folding a double bonus!

Back