• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best s775 CPU to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mario1

Grammer, its my favoriate thing
So yeah, I'm finally old enough to afford an Asus Maximus Formula board, as these costed a TON when they came out, plus I was young n whatnot.
Bought one that came w/ a Q6600 and 4 sticks of RAM. I saw the world OC record on the Q6600 is 5-some GHz which is quite disappointing.
What should I pick if I aim for the highest possible CPU-Z frequency validation on a 360mm AIO?
Sub-zero is not an option, sadly, but I assume hacking up a modern-day AIO to cool down an old CPU could work for decent clocks.. or am I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps out,

Mario

Won't a single-core celeron be better as I'll be benching with a single core enabled anyhow if it's a multi-core cpu? What would be a hypothetical limit on water cooling? I'm sure most of you folks have been through that route and know the limitations already.

Won't a single-core celeron be better as I'll be benching with a single core enabled anyhow if it's a multi-core cpu? What would be a hypothetical limit on water cooling? I'm sure most of you folks have been through that route and know the limitations already.
You need the higher multiplier of the faster desktop chips. Celerons aren't made for this.

You need the higher multiplier of the faster desktop chips. Celerons aren't made for this.
Ahh, fair. I didn't even think about the multiplier being locked on 775s. Is the core 2 extreme with a few cores disabled a better idea or should I stick with a c2d strictly?

If you're really trying to reach these goal, your best bet is to look at Hwbot and see which ones are the best. I think it's still the E8600.

For Celerons, you need mobos with high FSB, and the best for that is P45. X38/48 were better for quad-cores. Some X48 were good for C2D too, but 1-2 cores were overclocking the best on P35/45. As I remember, mainly Gigabyte, Biostar, and some ASUS, but not all. If you stay on water cooling then I guess it doesn't matter much, but I would stick with C2D like E8500/8600.

I won my class (air cooled) for the team here in Forum Warz 2007 with my Rampage Formula (DDR2) and E8600ES, that setup was solid at 550fsb daily and I think I ran out of ram at 603fsb, but could have been the board too :D

I just have a Xeon for that board now, max stable is 473fsb I think. I wouldn't mind another dual core to play with, or a nice P45 :)

Back