• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Right now my q6600 is at 378x9, 3.4ghz. My vcore is 1.35 load read by cpu-z. My load temps have not gone above 62c, the hottest core ranges from 59-62 while priming. I have a xigmatek s1283, I was wondering if anyone thinks a TRUE will bring the temps down at all. Also, how it the o/c for a 1.3vid q6600?

Oh yeah, I resat the heatsink tonight so hopefully i'll drop a few degrees in the next few days.

i think thats pretty much on par with mine. i have mine at 3.5 @ 1.4 volts under water with load temps of 38-39 or so.

highest i have hit is 4.11GHz in winter outside.

Question, what does the cputin measure in hardware monitor? I know my asus board reports this as the cpu temperature, but where is it measure from?

When I first got the board, this was in the 40's-50's. Then I flashed the bios and it was always in the high teen's. Now after overclocking my chip, it's as high as 75 degress under load, HIGHER than my hottest core by quite a bit. Then, sometimes it goes to like 1 or 2 degrees, and the SYSTIN sometimes goes negative.

Are my sensors out of whack or what the heck is going on?

pic

34primingrz3.jpg

Ok, let me be more specific....
I run a Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard, and under the cpu settings there is a value called "Intel Virtualization Tech", would this be the same thing as "Vanderpool Technology" just with a different name? If you can answer this id appreciate it.

Ok, let me be more specific....
I run a Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard, and under the cpu settings there is a value called "Intel Virtualization Tech", would this be the same thing as "Vanderpool Technology" just with a different name? If you can answer this id appreciate it.

One in the same.

can someone explain to me why "after i change my
Q6600 (b3 revision) to 333x9" volts 1.4 my computer freezes half way of the windows loading screen, i managed to get it stable on 300x9, anything further it has a heart attack...., other things i have OC

ram - changed the timings to 4-4-4-12 @ v2.0---:confused:

I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one with the same problem same motherboard same CPU Corsair xms mem. I get 310x9,ram +-910 stable and that is where it end when I go to 320x9 it freezes befor it gets to windows o I'm runnig vita x64. WHY can't i get 3 or 3.1G ????????????????????????????????

I'm a bit confused on the ram ratio part my ram will be DDR2-1000. So initially starting out i should keep it at 1:1 just to find out the max stable OC and then from there adjust the ratio so it equals my rams rated speed 1000? and if its stable there i should keep increasing (ex: 1100....1200...ect)?

(Q6600 G0, P5Q-Pro, Gskill [2x2] DDR2-PC1000)

My ram is DDR2 667 but the ram is not my problem my cpu is it just dont want to clock 2.88g and that is that :bang head

May I know where you downloaded your BIOS version? I'm trying to overclock my C2D 6300. My BIOS is also AMI, but version 2.53, and for some reason does not contain any of the overclocking options besides CPU and DRAM frequencies... Also, I'm using an ASUS P5GZ-MX motherboard - so will it work? If not, then how can I access these options and what BIOS update should I get?

Sorry about all this, but I'm almost completely new to this sort of thing.

Thanks so much for all the valuable info, it'll come in great use!

Only thing I'm worried about is damaging the bios 'cos the last MB (X38 DS5) I had, I made a few mistakes & of course there were some dodgy, delayed boot ups & in the end, I wasn't able to even flash the bios, never mind download it from Gigabyte.

If I get some dodgy/delayed boot ups & the bios goes back to the default F5, what do I do? Do I clear the CMOS immediately or do I keep on trying to proceed with the OC? Is there a limit of how far the bios can go with constant failed posts?

One last thing - on my P45 DQ6 mb, there are 3 buttons at the bottom, I don't understand what the 'Reset' button is for & If I have to press 'Clear CMOS' button, do I do this when the comp is switched off? Doesn't mention anything about this in the user's manual.
Cheers.

Dear All
I am new to overclocking, i bought this PC OC at 3.2GHz, core temps were 27C to 31C max. It worked for 1year with no problems whatsoever, but now due to some electric fluctuations & abnormal restarting of PC, bios have lost its settings. My fault was that i didnot copied the settings for backup. Now i am doing OC my self after reading your posts & guides. I have managed to OC my system a little. Please do guide me on how to decrease the CPU temperatures.
Mobo:- ASUS P5B (GREEN)
CPU Core 2 Duo 2140 @ 1.60GHZ / OC to 3.15GHZ
cpuVcore bios= 1.325V / CPU-Z CPUVCORE=1.288V
CPU FREQ = 392
DRAM FREQ = 784MHZ
PCI EXP FREQ= 110
PCI CLK = 33.33
MEM VOLT= 2.10V (CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-5400C4)(4-4-4-4-12)
CPU VOLT= 1.325V
FSB VOLT= 1.40V
NB VOLT= 1.40V
SB = AUTO
ICH = AUTO
===========
I know i can overclock it more as it did in past, but i cant seem to pass 396 CPU FREQ.
Main problem is i want lower CPU & core TEMPERATURES.
I have disabled all the features like MODIFY RATIO SUPPRT,C1E, CPUID,CPU TM, EXC DISABLE BIT, etc...
Waiting anxiously for your reply.
Also if i have done any thing wrong do correct me please.
Thanks in advance.

One more thing guys. Currently the temperatures from SPEED FAN (ver 4.32) are
SYS= 35
CPU= 46 (normal load, that is browsing etc, but during TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD DEMO temp shoots up to 61)
Core 0 = 33
Core 1 = 35
================
I want these temps to be around 27 to 31 for CPU & CORES both.
Thanks again.

More details for your review.
AMIBIOS:- Ver 1604 Date 07/13/2007
======
If any thing info needed do ask me.
Thanks.

This guide is too wack for a newbie. You mention ever little insignificant point possible. I dont understand 1/10 of the things said. TOOOOOOOOOO much abbreviations used.

Make another guide. Make it simple, and straight to the point. Also, why the hell did you use a old motherboard when writing this guide?

This guide is too wack for a newbie. You mention ever little insignificant point possible. I dont understand 1/10 of the things said. TOOOOOOOOOO much abbreviations used.

Make another guide. Make it simple, and straight to the point. Also, why the hell did you use a old motherboard when writing this guide?

The motherboard used for the guide does not matter; the concepts are the same no matter what board you use.

Instead of complaining about the guide, why not just ask for clarification or do more research? There are plenty of other guides/tips on these forums and elsewhere on the internet. Google is your friend.

Do you have any idea how much time went into the making of this guide? You should show some respect to the people who put out so much effort to help you.

And yes, you do need to do some research on your own to figure out what every esoteric BIOS setting means.

Guys any suggestions or tips for my problem please.
I am v thankful to those u have helped others & made this guide.
Waiting for solution to my problem.
Thanks,

Do you have any idea how much time went into the making of this guide? You should show some respect to the people who put out so much effort to help you.

And yes, you do need to do some research on your own to figure out what every esoteric BIOS setting means.

concur... not to mention the guide was written over 1 year ago. Of course its an old board now. Some people have no respect nor appreciation for people putting out that much effort to help people.

Awesome guide. I havent touched a bios setting in almost 2 years. This pretty much refreshed my memory on the whole bit.

Thanks!

Back