• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hydro Cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
So what do all you guys running water setup's think of Corsair's Hydro Cool?

I am thinking about going off of air, and as a first experience, something like that might be a good choice.

Seem's like it perform's pretty good too from the one review I read.

:p

I've still not known anybody that actually owns this thing. Every review and almost every opinion I've read seems to favor this over most 'WC in a box' kits. If I was looking for a higher-performance water cooler, and wasn't so gung-ho, DIY Bob Vila about my computers, I would probably choose this kit. It looks nice... has great specs and looks as if installation is as easy as water cooling could be. I've always wondered what kind of performance increase one would get by replacing the typically crappy waterblocks that come with these things in favor for a well-regarded block.

The pump is decent, the fan and radiator combo looks like it can handle a decent amount of heat... the tubing isn't microscopic... the waterblock is 'cute' (and that's something EVERY computer weenie wants... a cute heatsink)... and it's supposedly not very loud. I'd say that it's probably a safe purchase.

El<(')>Maxi said:
So what do all you guys running water setup's think of Corsair's Hydro Cool?

I am thinking about going off of air, and as a first experience, something like that might be a good choice.

Seem's like it perform's pretty good too from the one review I read.

:p

SAVE YOUR MONEY

For the same or less money you can build your own custom setup and have a higher volume and better upgradable cooling system that will expand in the future to fit your needs.

If we can't talk you into building your own ;) the Hydro Cool seem's to be the best kit available right now by all the reviews.

It does seem to be well done and perform fairly well...but if one of the water cooling setups I made performed at that level I would be trying to figure out what is wrong....;)

I have a Hydro 200 that I just got a couple of days ago. It works great probably just as well as most home made stuff, from what I have read. My temps in idle is 21C with 27C max load when running prime 95 for a least and hour. Easy to setup and good quality.

Well I am open to options, and not in any rush, so ya......I would consider doin my own setup, but I would not even know how to build it.

Thats why I came here to talk to the Pro's :p

I do know I don't want anything huge or crazy lookin next to my PC. Or any hoses hanging out my window. So you say I can put all the components inside the case huh? Into my Lian Li PC61? Probably have to move the drive cage right?

Can someone show me the basic setup/components I would need?

Thnx guy's, you rock

OK, how bout this stuff

-Eheim 1048 water pump(158gph) with 3/8" quick connect fitting

-Swiftech Radiator model RAD 676 with 3/8" QC fitting

-Swiftech MCW372 CPU water block for Athlon/XP SocketA and Socket370

-5' of 3/8" tubing

-Fill & bleed kit, 2' of 1/4" tubing

Temps

zoolander said:
I have a Hydro 200 that I just got a couple of days ago. It works great probably just as well as most home made stuff, from what I have read. My temps in idle is 21C with 27C max load when running prime 95 for a least and hour. Easy to setup and good quality.

I really question that 21C idle and 27C loaded you give. I get the feeling that your temp probe is not very close to right, unless of course you are living in a meat locker.

My room temp this morning is 78F (26C) and when I turned on the computer and pumps my first readings were 28C and your claiming 27C loaded on plain water ??

I have no doubt that the Hydro 200 is a decent machine for what it is, an entry level do nothing but plug it in and run it. Just like the Exos, for what they are they are fine, but there is no way I am going to believe either one can out pump and out cool a 300 gallon per hour eheim running through a good heater rad. Now if you want to restate those figures to say 29-30C idle and 34-39 loaded I would tend to believe those.

Now if your temps are correct, my advice is put a coat on before you catch your death of cold, and NEVER SELL that Hydro...

39C full load for a water cooling system seems a bit high id say that for sure. A Slk900U without having to use a DELTA fan keeps the CPU under 40C on a full load.

Why would I state something that is not fact? I have nothing to gain do I? I know what my temps were before when I had air cooled( 43 idle 48-51 full load) same system etc. That is what my system temps show and if you don't believe it so what. It doesn't it make my system any cooler or hotter then what it states. If you don't like kits or hydrocool products in particular good for you that's your choice.

Ok

zoolander said:
Why would I state something that is not fact? I have nothing to gain do I? I know what my temps were before when I had air cooled( 43 idle 48-51 full load) same system etc. That is what my system temps show and if you don't believe it so what. It doesn't it make my system any cooler or hotter then what it states. If you don't like kits or hydrocool products in particular good for you that's your choice.

Before you start getting all hot and trying to defend yourself from something that you were not accused of, stop and re-read what it was that I said..... I said that I question those temps you gave and that I think your temp probes are off.... I still think so..... what, I'm not allowed to question something?

I have never seen anyone claiming those low a temps on plain water cooling in a normal room. Do you normally keep your room at a temp to give 21C idle and 27c loaded ? Where do you live, Alaska? Your loaded is lower than my idle...

I also said that if those temps are correct NEVER SELL THAT HYDRO cause it is sure a keeper....

And no, I don't have anything against a kit or Hydrocool products, I have a kit, an Exos, which I like, it is just I think a person can build better and cheaper and I think generally that is true, but as you say, that's your choice.

I'm sorry if you felt I was insulting your honesty and family values and and first born son by questening your temps, but I still question them, they just seem to low to be correct. On the chance they are correct, congratulations you have one hell of a system.

CrashOv3r1De said:
27c full load dam i wish i could *BUILD* something like that myself is it even possible without having a hook up to the niagra falls?

Sure it's possible, you just put together a nice wc rig and then hook a Pelter to it and wa la you have something that can give you sub zero temps.... But then your looking at quite a bit more money too... Air for about $50 , water for about $150, Pelt for about $500...How lo you wana go ? Computers are just like cars...speed costs, how much you want to spend? How fast you want to go? You sure ain't gona get a Porche for the price of a Ford...Ever hear of running Nitros Oxide in a hot rod? or how about dry ice on your computer....there is lots of ways to cool that baby down, and they all cost bucks, most of the time big ones.

Oh ya, don't forget liquid nitrogen, that will get her down there...

Last edited:
El<(')>Maxi said:
Well I am open to options, and not in any rush, so ya......I would consider doin my own setup, but I would not even know how to build it.

Thats why I came here to talk to the Pro's :p

I do know I don't want anything huge or crazy lookin next to my PC. Or any hoses hanging out my window. So you say I can put all the components inside the case huh? Into my Lian Li PC61? Probably have to move the drive cage right?

Can someone show me the basic setup/components I would need?

Thnx guy's, you rock

you can read my guide here..........

Guide

get a maytag fridge and gut that bi7ch for the compressor and then rig up ur own prommy, then cascade the cooling loop with water cooling and then exhaust the heat outside ur house with dryer ducts/vents, and then run twin 272watt potted pelt's beneath that... should get you temps to freeze an electron in its orbit... actually maybe only 100 kelvin off, but close enough,...
though you gotta live in the meat locker too...

yeah for about $700

my w/c setup is top of the line and it is less then $200

Hydor L30 Pump D-tek Pro Combo (Black) w/ 120mm 80cfm fan D-tek White Water (aluminum topped)

Back