• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

high fsb vs. "tight" settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

Just a question after Ive read through most~ of the posts.

What are the dis/advantages of a high fsb versus tight RAM timings?

If it depends on the applications being run, I mainly game and crunch SETI in the off hours. Im running a P4c 3.0 800 fsb, on a ASUS P4C. I also read that the P4's thrive on bandwidth. With that in mind I ordered OCZ pc3700, which seems to hit the high fsb's at a slack timing config.Im just curious if I made the proper decision?

Thanks yet again,.

C

Well to OC your P4 you need higher FSB and timing are less important, besides that I'm not really sure if having 5 extra mhz will effect your P4 (besides adding maybe 50 mghz or somthing depending on your multi)

I have heard that some AMD procs will not post at slower timings at the same FSB speeds but they will at faster, eg. won't post at 2.5cas and 200 but will at 2cas and 200 FSB. I jsut heard this and only a few cases so I'm not really sure about it.

Other than that, if you werent gaining processor speed in addition to system bus speed you should run tighter timings rather than gain maybe 10 FSB, but I'm really not sure how it all works out with a p4 were you do gain Mhz... you could always try benching yourself if you don't find a sufficient answer here.

Back