• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling vs Water Cooling, Things You May Need to Know.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First off, I know who you are and how long you've been around the forums. I've been around just as long. :)

Your two links contradict each other on heat pipe position.

http://www.zarcondeegrissom.org/ideas/012Heatpipes.html
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/which-is-the-best-position-for-a-tower-cpu-cooler/1/

If it really made any determinable difference, don't you think any of the HS manufacturers would have capitalized on this info already?

Love that second link, just spent an entire day reorienting my cooler 90 degree offset from "the norm" :D

As for overclocking since the pencil trick, so nobody cracked the plastic case off a Pentium II slot1 to get that 133fsb?

That extra 33mhz was a lot when you only had 300 to start with! :p

Hi Blaylock, Sorry for being so late to respond I've got some projects going on that are requiring my full attention to detail so my time here is presently limited.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the 5% you don't agree with?

If there is something that needs to be corrected please share your opinion so I can address it and make it better information?

SS

I believe this is what I was referring to...
You need an aftermarket cooling solution for any slight overclocking especially using the motherboard auto overclocking features, as some motherboards to maintain stability, push higher voltages auto overclocking, out in the operating system, than manually set BIOS settings.

Many of us have successfully overclocked on a stock cooler for years, especially in the older days before the TDP's started getting out of hand. I'm not suggesting that an aftermarket cooler isn't recommended, but to say you must have one for a slight overclock I would disagree with.

This is still a great thread and a worthwhile read for anyone.

I believe this is what I was referring to...

Many of us have successfully overclocked on a stock cooler for years, especially in the older days before the TDP's started getting out of hand. I'm not suggesting that an aftermarket cooler isn't recommended, but to say you must have one for a slight overclock I would disagree with.

This is still a great thread and a worthwhile read for anyone.

I changed it to read like this.

Some have in the past and were proud of it, but with todays higher TDP range of CPUs, it is not recommended.

Simply because most that want to overclock just a little, have no long term desire to learn how to manually overclock and want to use the motherboards auto overclocking features.

Some of the motherboards auto overclocking features of today could possibly take you to a much higher CPU voltage range and resulting temperature, than a stock cooler could even begin to handle over a long period of time!

To be on the safe side you need to invest in an aftermarket cooling solution, especially when using the motherboards auto overclocking features, as some motherboards to maintain stability push much higher voltage spikes out in the operating system than manually set BIOS settings will reach.

Last edited:
Very nice first post Silver Surfer.

Good to have everything summarized in one place. A good read for beginners.

Should be "stickied" IMO.

Did not notice any flaw through the reading. Maybe a couple of things to clarify as Blaylock suggested.

Thanks!

Added some new info today regarding question #1 relating to AMDs Vishera 8 core CPUs not coming with a boxed cooler.

Also added a link to the Water Cooling Sticky at Toms Hardware, though I presently despise Toms Hardware, the Water Cooling sticky is good info.

Back