• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling automatic drive mapping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I have Windows 2000 and when I go to a shared drive on another computer on the network and I reboot later, the drive letter shows under "My network places" which I don't want. Also if my browser (IE) goes to a ftp web site a link is also stored there. How can I disable this automatic linking under " My Network Places" ?

Thank you!

I don't know of any configurational way.. but I can think of a way to stop it from adding things..

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\NetHood
Delete everything you don't care for (except for "Computers Near Me").
Then, go up a level to [username], and right click the NetHood directory, and change the security settings so that no-one has write access to it (except SYSTEM). (just read/execute).

Last edited:
su root said:
... and right click the NetHood directory, and change the security settings so that no-one has write access to it (except SYSTEM). (just read/execute).

I don't see a Security Tab or anything of that sort that will allow me to change security settings....

Oh, I just figured it out (I think) - maybe it is because I don't have NTFS - but only FAT32???

I guess I am out of luck. Not a big deal though - I will just have to delete the stuff now and then. At least I learned where it is on the HD:) :) :)

Thank you!

Well, there is another way, but you won't have the "Computers Near Me" link in there anymore...

Back up the NetHood folder (rename it to something else)
Then create a new, empty file, named "NetHood", with no extension where the NetHood folder was.
Set it to read-only.

That way it won't be able to add things to NetHood.

There is a microsoft article 151176 that obliquely addresses this abomination. The correct answer is to edit the registry to add a string "NoNetHood" to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\explorer.

This keeps entries from getting to your Documents and settings\ USERNAME\ NetHood folder so they don't show up in your My Network Places.

Back