• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install Windows XP on a 2016 Skylake Asus Z170-A motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea drivers are a big problem.
Can you please post how you got your mouse and keyboard to work after they did not, in your case? That question comes up a lot when people install Windows XP on modern motherboards.

OK. What happened was it was working perfectly until Windows actually finished installing and booted. What I done was I found an old ps2 mouse, plugged it in and restarted. I then was going to try use that to install the drivers for my mouse and keyboard in device manager but I accidentally moved my optical mouse which was still plugged in and it just decided to work. Then I tried the keyboard and it worked too. Somehow it detecting the old mouse must've triggered something but it just worked from there on in.

I'd love to get all the drivers and dual boot because Windows xp was my favourite os I used that so much growing up.

Thanks again for the guide to get it to install and if I find out anything about drivers I'll get back on here. I heard modifying the drivers with notepad can have some success but most drivers now are all 64 bit.

Do we always have to boot Windows XP from the USB? Whenever I try and boot Windows XP nativly, it gives me the "file is missing or corrupt hal.dll" error

Is Windows XP the only OS on the system. It helps if Vista/7/8/10 are also installed because then EasyBCD third party software can set and fix boot problems with Windows XP, but it cannot fix them if WinXP is the only OS on the system.

Ah. So that's why! I had issues booting into 7 afterwords to tend to the boot issue due to XP creating a boot.ini that took over the booting into Windows 7 Ultimate. Would I have to delete boot.ini after installing XP in order to boot into 7 properly, and then use EasyBCD to set up the boot, and fix the windows xp boot?

That is what I do. I use EasyBCD to fix all that.
If I can boot into any OS on the system then I do it from there, easy.

If I cannot, then there are ways to do this, but I prefer to just take the hard drive out and do it on another PC, there is a way to do it from another PC:

• To edit the boot menu on a separate hard drive [drive disconnected from its system and temporarily connected to your system], use EasyBCD to correctly set the booting process on the temporarily connected drive:
https://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Assign a drive letter to SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION in Computer Management if it isn't assigned.

EasyBCD > File > Select BCD Store >

1. First Browse to the ROOT directory of the SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION of the temporarily connected drive
2. Then type BOOT\BCD > Open

This will open the *.bcd file inside the hidden BOOT folder on the temporarily connected drive and inside its BCD subfolder.

Optionally delete existing entries then
Add New Entry > SELECT: Windows Vista/7/8/10 then SELECT its current drive letter on the existing system being used right now > Add Entry

*WAIT* then see that it's inside Edit Boot Menu > THEN FIRST SAVE THE NEW SETTINGS AND THEN File > Exit from EasyBCD.

Then remove the drive letter you assigned to SYSTEM RESERVED PARTITION in Computer Management.

For Windows 8, I can also boot in with Windows 8 installation media > Next > Repair your computer [do NOT click on Install now] >

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt

If BCD is on C: drive, then

cd /d c:\efi\microsoft\boot\
bootrec /fixboot
ren BCD BCD.bak
bcdboot C:\Windows /L en-us /s c: /f ALL
exit

Turn off your PC

If you have a hidden partition with BCD information then use these Command Prompt commands:

diskpart
list disk

For example, if you can see the EFI volume with a size of 100 MB and FAT32 file system, and it has the index volume 1, then

select volume 1
assign letter K:
exit

cd /d k:\efi\microsoft\boot\
bootrec /fixboot
ren BCD BCD.bak
bcdboot C:\Windows /L en-us /s k: /f ALL
exit

Turn off your PC

I managed to duel boot it. What i did (as i hadn't deleted the full NT Boot loader) was

Start the Windows 7 install, and get to the hard disk part.

Format the System Reserved part (where the boot manager for 7 is location and where xp will dump the old NT boot on)

Go back to the "Install Now" part, and instead click on "Repair your computer"

Then do "Startup Repair"

Afterwords, do the EasyBCD setup, and you can then dual boot between the two. Now, if i could figure how to run the Nvidia 1080 setup fully...

Excellent. That was a good way to go and you posting that will help people do the same.

Yes, I agree. No drivers is definitely killing my will to reboot into Windows XP.
I mean I wanted WinXP just to have a non BCD-based OS on my multi boot but the kicker is that there are no M.2 drivers for WinXP and since M.2 solid state drive is *the* reason my system is so fast, I can't give it up, but at the same time, I can't access it from WinXP, so the no-driver thing is really putting an end to using WinXP for me, otherwise it's still there without all drivers... It definitely has limitations.

Older systems which take i7 CPUs are last best ways to run Windows 8/XP dual boots.
Skylake can be done but with severe limitations.

I have quad boot on my 6700K. XP, W7x64, W10x32, W10x64.
I have no issues booting into any one of them, and I didn't go through all that.

So, i've tinkered around with the last 960 nvidia driver ment for Windows XP, and i fooled it into accepting my graphics card. Only problem is that when the drivers go to install, it fails to install the graphics (yet someone else got the ASUS Nvidia 1070 and 1080 working) in XP. Here are the steps that are listed so maybe you guys can look into it:

Quoted from Matt's Repositary on Nvidia 9xx cards for XP

"Video card : ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL-GTX1070-O8G
Motherboard : Intel Blue Hills DZ77BH-55K
Chipset : Intel Panther Point Z77, Intel Ivy Bridge

1-Prerequisites : Decompress the latest Nvidia XP driver using WINRar or other.
-Locate this folder : Display.Driver
-Add the entries below in : nv4_dispi.inf
-These modifications are for : ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 DUAL-GTX1070-O8G ONLY!
* Other brand will require different Device ID.

-Locate this section : [Strings]
–Add the following at the end: NVIDIA_DEV.1B81 = “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070”

-Locate this section : [NVIDIA_Devices.NTx86.5.1]
–Add the following at the top: %NVIDIA_DEV.1B81% = Section018, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81

* End or Top doesn’t really matters, it’s just the way i proceed.

2-Install the driver.

3-Reboot.

4-Right Click on the Windows XP Desktop.
–Select: Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, Hardware Acceleration.
—Lower this setting 2 notches.
* This will correct video playback slughishness.

Results:
-Desktop, internet surfing, video playback all fine.
-3D NOT functional.
-30 seconds delay when accessing certains functions related to, screen resolution change etc; no problem really.

Countmurcie."

For the hardware id and strings to theoredically work with the normal chipset, replace the asus ID's and strings with these regular hardware ids

%NVIDIA_DEV.1B80% = Section057, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80
%NVIDIA_DEV.1B81% = Section057, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B81

NVIDIA_DEV.1B80 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080"
NVIDIA_DEV.1B81 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"

I've tested it with 0 success, but maybe someone can look into it

EDIT: here's pictures of what happens if you try and install it from device manager using the .inf
63e145680973c9cfd6f9aa8de41812b4.png

and after it attempts to install
99bf81059a15f433bc41a34dc1993881.png

It claims that the driver is unsupported by windows xp when it's not.

Last edited:
I have quad boot on my 6700K. XP, W7x64, W10x32, W10x64.
I have no issues booting into any one of them, and I didn't go through all that.
Well what is your motherboard chipset? Modern motherboards don't have or support drivers for Windows XP even after you "trick" them to install Windows XP.

Well what is your motherboard chipset? Modern motherboards don't have or support drivers for Windows XP even after you "trick" them to install Windows XP.
Board is Maximus VIII Hero.
Runs and benches just fine without chipset drivers.
You want USB, Lan, and Sound?, PCI-e cards for each are cheap......and supported.

Yea that's probably the last generation where you can still do that, on Skylake (2016 and beyond) it's tough.

Wait, what, are you on a Z170 chipset?
But there are no Windows XP drivers for it?

I'm running the ASUS H170 Pro gaming motherboard. Z170 and H170 are the same board, only Z170 is a board that allows overclocking.

So apparently, the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 is not Windows XP compatible from the looks of it.

Back