• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Rufus and Diskpart for clean install - some confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Any help to clarify appreciated!
Am planning to use diskpart access from the command line in my Rufus boot USB as a first step to clean and format my destination drive
Plan on using these commands

clean
create part pri
active
format fs=ntfs label = 512Windows quick

1st question> SInce this will be my Startup or C drive do I need to use a label?

Next will reboot again into my Rufus USB to do a clean install of Windows

2nd question
SInce I've already formatted the drive I assume I skip and formatting options and just install?

Question 3
Knowing the above how do I configure my Rufus USB at the very beginning?

Question 4
Is there any advantage in choosing the dual UEFI + Legacy option (alt+E) ?

Question 5
Partitioning Scheme and Target System apply to the destination drive for the Windows install but the formatting options refer to the actual USB media and NOT the destination windows 10 drive.
Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks in advance!!

Also after using the above Diskpart commands get a Windows setup error saying I still have an MBR partition table.

What install media do you have and what Windows are you going to install? When I install Win 10 on my PC's, I don't even bother with formating, I just pick the partition or pick the size of my partition and start the install, Windows does the rest automatically.

When you get the setup error, what type of partition are you wanting to use MBR or GPT? GPT is used with UEFI. You will need to remove all MBR partitions to use GPT.

Back