• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My SLK doesn't seem to be all copper....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

When I look at the place where the fins meet the base of the heatsink I see some silver instead of the reddish colored copper... does anyone elses look like this? I thought they were supposed to be all copper. Its also slightly noticible on the sides of the base...

Not having one on hand to inspect, i'm still gonna guess that the fins could be soldered in. but why on the base?......I'm gonna take a look at it.......

OK, after looking at the pic, my best estimate is that the fins are soldered in place where they meet the base. This is not a bad thing since they probably use high silver content solder when they do it.

but why the base...? shouldn't that be solid copper?

EDIT: better description, it appears that the copper is actually flaking off. this is brand new by the way.

Thats a new one for me. i've never heard of "flaking" copper since its such a soft metal to begin with. are you sure its copper and not some protective coating (don't know why there'd be one, but)

well as far as i know, there is not protective coating on an slk except for the plastic tape like thing you rmove from the bottom...

EDIT: looked at it again, i don't know what a solder looks like, but my best description is that its a silver colered metal, just painted copper... but i know (hope) its not.

Have you tried to peel those "flakes" off? if not, try it. if it comes off and flakes and crumbles, its a coating. but i dont know why anyone would want to coat a heatsink.

to try to make it look copper. I just got a second opinion from my dad, he agrees that it looks like a coating. I will try lapping this thing hopefully tomorrow and i will tell you all my results.

Like i said, silver solder looks silver, but so doesn't lead. silver solder, if it's over 65% content, is actually a very good heat conductor. since enough to cool down a cpu would cost 5 times as much as the cpu, we use copper. good luck.

the flaking seems to be from the side of the base, base=the part that contacts the cpu. Today I lapped it, and it seems to be all copper, but i didn't get to the part where it was flaky... based on the fact that the base is copper, maybe the silver is some of the solder that is actually ontop of the copper? I can't tell though because it seems to be so even, i tried poking it with a paperclip, but it feels smooth. Ask for more descriptions, idk what to describe:(

What might have happened is that the copper they used wasn't very high quality and there is little bits of other metals in it. You never know though.

Just as i stated earlier in this thread; it's gotta be copper fins soldered in place, and they used a poly coating (kinda like whats on induction coils. need an example? look on your mobo. those coils are bare wire covered in insulating poly). a picture is available on newegg.com by choosing the SLK-900u and looking at the second pic they have....you'll see the solder where the fins meet the base.

Back