• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One stepaway from throwing this board away....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustymaitland

i can't stand this crap. i would have just gone for a cheap board like an ecs if i had known i would go through this. this brand new Nf7-S will not get past a screen that is asking me to...

Press Ctrl+S or F4 to enter RAID utility
Primary Channel: Drive not found
Secondary Channel: Drive not found

is there any way to bypass this? i thought it might have been the 2 maxtor 40 drives i am trying to install in a raid config but i have since given up on that and just want any drive to work. i took a working 40 d740-x out of another machine and it still won't work. are there any settings that i am missing or should be thinking of that need to be adjusted somehow? when i first boot the computer the drive detects as well as the cdrom.
any suggestions?

What other PCI cards do you have? Have you tried to remove them (if you have any)?

Have you tried to boot up without any drives attached? Does it get past that screen then?

I saw a problem similar to this on a buddies machine recently. Drive detected fine in bios and bombed out on startup at about the point you are describing (right when its going to actually load the os). Problem was that his hard drive was not in master mode. Check the jumper on the drive.

As far as that message goes I think thats probably not the issue. If you don't have anything hooked up to the raid you will get that message and should just continue on as normal (ofc disabled the raid will speed up your boot time)

Flash to bios 16 or above to fix this problem. Version 18 is the newest. LINK

Look at #3.

"
Release information:

[ENGLISH]

New Fixes/Features

1. For NF7 v2.0 motherboard, please update BIOS v1.6 in case the system intermittently hangs up at POST screen of PCI devices listing with BIOS v1.4 and earlier. Please update the bios by following steps,

a. Format a floppy disk on another PC system in Windows.
b. Copy "AWDFLASH.EXE" and "NF7D_16.BIN" files onto the floppy disk.
c. Power on NF7 v2.0 system, insert the floppy disk into drive A, and press <Alt>+<F2> keys to update BIOS.

2. Please use AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS. With incorrect AWDFLASH version, the GUID will be erased, and leads to IEEE1394 peer to peer function failed. AWDFLASH 8.23K is included in this BIOS package.
3. Fixes systems freezes in S-ATA BIOS initial while using display card on PCI slot.
4. Fixes the problem if FAN speeded too slow, system would hang at BIOS screen or at watching the status in PC health Status screen.
5. BIOS Compile Date: 6/25/2003.

"

from abit release info.

Or replace that old PCI video card!

damn that is the only thing wrong with mine...the damn bios freezes in the pc health screen...lol.

other than that its been fine on stock bios w/out sata.

i should upgrade soon :)

i copied the exe file to a formatted floppy. i shoved it in the machine and hit alt and f2 while booting. in red a message appears....
Can not find AWDFLASH.EXE, ESC to continue POST
now wtf?

You have to run the .exe file first, then copy the files onto the floppy. That .exe is a compressed file that contains AWDFLASH, the bios update (.bin file), a .txt file, and 2 .bat files.

ok....
this can't be good.
in the flash utility area.

this is what i see.
File Name to Program : NF7D_16 .BIN

then in light blue it says....

BIOS Image File Check Sum Error
!! You Can't Update this Image File!!
Check to see if FDD & HDD error occured
Please Download Again Your Source File

Did you verify that you were grabbing the one for the rev2.0 nf7-S? The most current bios version for the rev 2 should be nf7d_18.bin

Personally I think they should make the distinction a little easier to read on the download page...

i used nf7d18 and it worked. times like these i usually don't like seeing NTLDR is missing but in this case i am not minding. going to try to load windows on this drive. will inform.

hey people...everything worked fine. :) me happy.
just wanted to say that i am married but i have love for each and everyone of you for your suggestions lol!!!
thanks again.
on to the next step....RAIDDDDDDD.

Back