• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folks...Down for an 8 count...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
So after the last power outage, upon rebooting I noticed some flickering on the monitor/TV (Old 65" Vizio 1080P). I ignored it as I rarely use the TV and it ran fah fine. Until fah went down today and went to check on it.

After a bit of troubleshooting I believe I have 2 issues one the Yamaha Receiver which all devices pass thru is the issue. The other odd problem is I cant bypass it for just the one PC(No screen shows up). This TV I mounted with a non swing out mount (Which I decided was a PITA so I'll never do that again.) So unlike my main TV I can't get to the back where everything is plugged in myself.

The Roku I run thru the receiver was able to work briefly bypassing the receiver (Which also showed me the TV was working fine.) It than thru up the HDCP error for a bad device or in this case an HDMI cable.

I set everything up 10 years ago March 2013. That is how old the receiver is and the TV is from Black Friday 2012. I don't remember much about how I set it up.

Powering devices off from the power has always fixed glitches in the past but not this time....It is going to take me hours to pull things apart clean everything replace all the HDMI cables with HDCP compliant ones and put things together in an orderly manner. I'll lean toward fixing any issues by throwing money at it (New receiver, maybe 4K 86" TV etc.) :cheers: My excuse to the wife will be "I can't walk on the treadmill without a bigger screen"

I'll see if I can get the PC running on a 32" TV I have, until I redo everything. It should have just worked for fah but I'll have to figure out why the PC is acting up regardless of the TV flickering which shouldn't have an effect on fah...It would be an awful coincidence if a GPU was failing on top of things.It has this problem with the other PC as well so that indicates it is not the PC hardware...

Gonna take me a while for this one. I'll be down for a week coinciding with the after labor day heat wave....Thankfully we have 50's at night.

Last edited:
Corrupted drivers on the PC. New install of Ubuntu twice...I almost think the HD is failing , I have never seen Ubuntu throw up so many line codes upon rebooting. In the end I failed to install fah. The 32" tv cut off so much I couldn't actually do anything. I switched over to the 65" while I had it displaying to use its better resolutions and it displayed but since it was stuck on the 32" screens rez , I had to reboot and upon start up again failed to display...

Again leading me to a HDMI cable failure....I am really annoyed because I can't pull this TV off myself to reach the inputs.

Ordered new swing out TV mount and a half dozen 8 and 10' HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI cables. After I get the PC working and establish it is the cable. I'll try the Yamaha HT Receiver again to see if it works. If not I have a new Yamaha 4K Receiver picked out. This part will be posted in the sound and theater section as it is not pertinent to fah.

Sorry I'm slacking off T32...2 hours of this has made me cranky...:mad:

Update...Not sure why the PC isn't quite right but ordered a new SSD to reinstall Ubuntu on. HDMI cables replaced and new swing out mount added to Vizio. Still the 1080P TV seems stuck on 720 plus still giving HDCP errors on my Roku.

New SSD , 75" LG and Yamaha HT Receiver arriving on Wednesday....Hopefully these parts with a new install of Ubuntu will have me up and running by the weekend. :cheers:

Daughter (Who knows her way around PC's and software ) and my SIL (Robotics engineer) and I couldn't nail down any one thing to fix things. Hopefully it is not the MOBO.

I don't mind spending money on hardware but no plans to get another Windows OS...So Ubuntu better start working. :confused:

Last edited:
Don't they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome? :p :rofl:

Fingers crossed for ya! :)
As long as the resolution gets fixed on the TV , I have found the issue with the fah install on version 22.04... It looks like python 3 broke itself with its newest version and I was using older files on a USB stick. :cheers:

Dave,
Most of my folding farm is running U20.04 (all upgraded from U18.04 or U16.04). A few hosts are still on U18.04 and one host is running U22.04 (upgraded from U18.04=>U20.04=>U22.04). FAHControl still works on all my Ubuntu hosts, including the one running U22.04. FAHControl was installed and working OK on the U18.04 builds, and continued to run OK after the upgrade(s) to U20/22. Don't know if the hosts upgraded to U20/22 are running FAHControl natively or from a snap. My current practice is to make new build on U18.04, get everything updated and FAHControl working, then upgrade to U20.04. Have delayed upgrading the entire farm to U22, until I am able to resolve a few cryptic error messages during host startup and some packages being held back during updates.

Dave,
Most of my folding farm is running U20.04 (all upgraded from U18.04 or U16.04). A few hosts are still on U18.04 and one host is running U22.04 (upgraded from U18.04=>U20.04=>U22.04). FAHControl still works on all my Ubuntu hosts, including the one running U22.04. FAHControl was installed and working OK on the U18.04 builds, and continued to run OK after the upgrade(s) to U20/22. Don't know if the hosts upgraded to U20/22 are running FAHControl natively or from a snap. My current practice is to make new build on U18.04, get everything updated and FAHControl working, then upgrade to U20.04. Have delayed upgrading the entire farm to U22, until I am able to resolve a few cryptic error messages during host startup and some packages being held back during updates.
Thanks H. It is a Hardware problem I have my other PC running fah on the TV currently and it is doing fine it also has an extra slot available for another GPU...

If the SSD and new install doesn't correct the problem PC. I'll be changing the Mobo and or building a new PC.

I did try my 20.04 install first and that failed to even install.

I also needed a new HT and 4K TV as this is a Man cave where I walk on my Treadmill...Just happened to have multiple issues.

I will write something up when I get 22.04 running as it might be useful.

@dfonda, it does sound like a hardware problem brewing, good luck with sorting that out.

"looks like python 3 broke itself with its newest version "

I install the FAH client from Snapcraft store, which bundles all the necessary dependencies in a neat and quick installation. https://snapcraft.io/folding-at-home-fcole90
Yeah it was a hardware problem I have it fixed now I didn't get to finish my install it's pretty late last night when I got everything put together. I still have a bunch of other wiring to do for the home theater.

Tim how do you view that installation out of The snap store?

There is a way to force The unbroken Python 3 to work and or to fix it but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

If it takes me too much longer I will go back to 20.04.

Yeah it was a hardware problem I have it fixed now I didn't get to finish my install it's pretty late last night when I got everything put together. I still have a bunch of other wiring to do for the home theater.

Tim how do you view that installation out of The snap store?

There is a way to force The unbroken Python 3 to work and or to fix it but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

If it takes me too much longer I will go back to 20.04.
Doing a "sudo snap install folding-at-home-fcole90" is quick & easy, but has to be done again the next time the V7 FAH client breaks. I pretty much gave up looking for the "why", as in why the cleint fubars periodically, in Linux. Folks over on foldingforum really don't have any idea either. Sure, it's a Python 3 thing, but why? And, why doesn't the V7 developer address that issue? Maybe the focus is getting client v8 going...

Good news.... it was only a 7 count (I gave myself 8 days to get things fixed up). I am back up and running.

Bad news..... I didn't waste too much time getting Python fixed or forced to run an older version. I gave up on 22.04 and made a new 20.04 and 06 USB boot. Couldn't get either one to finish the install on this Mobo.

I hate to admit Joe could be right about anything :chair: :geek: but I acquiesced and remembered I could do Win 10 without a license.

Back