• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

champdog

Ok heres the deal:

I have 2 256MB corsair 3200XMS memory sticks in my NF7-S and I just got another stick of ram (from a friend) that is 2100 (some generic brand).

Now for my question; will it hurt my system or help it if I install the other 256MB? Right now my Cpu isn't overclocked, so everything is stock (but the GPU).

If the FSB you're running right now is over 266 (2*133), then you will have to lower your memory divider to accomodate the PC2100 (DDR266). Also, you can only run in single channel with 3 modules.

The FSB I have now is 333. I know the 2100 doesn't support that fast (i havent tried to run it faster). I was wondering if there was some way I could keep the corsair memory at 333 while just having some extra memory at 266, or do they all have to be synchronized? and if they do, would it make my system slower by adding the memory or would it make it faster?

Edit: I misread your post sorry. So does single channel mean they have to run at the same speed? And I still need to know if it will help or harm my performance by adding the memory.

Mixing memory is a bad idea, if it works then more power to you. I'm guessing you are running the Corsair as dual channel. Do you need 768mb ram? I personally would stay with the 512 dual channel and START OVERCLOCKING!!!

I agree with Zazuk.

A good rule of thumb with mixing memory is this: The slowest RAM stick will be the limiting factor. Any faster RAM will be forced to run at the slowest speed- weakest link in the chain concept. Same from back in the PC100/PC133 days.
You might have gotten PC100 to run at PC133 with high latencies, but when you added low latency PC133, that faster PC133 would have to run at the higher latency, thus negating any advantage.

I'd save that stick of PC2100 for an extra budget rig or for backup/testing, and leave it out of your main system.

champdog said:
I was wondering if there was some way I could keep the corsair memory at 333 while just having some extra memory at 266
There isn't.

would it make my system slower by adding the memory or would it make it faster?
Unless you have games where 512MB of memory is seriouosly limiting you, my guess is that adding the extra stick will slow down the system.

So does single channel mean they have to run at the same speed?
No, single channel means it will not be dual channel. Dual channel requires an even number of sticks.

Okay so I won't be putting the extra stick of ram in there I guess.
I really didn't need more ram, its just I was hoping it could find a good home in my rig (I'm sure I'll find a home for it soon though :))

As for me starting to overclock; I havent had much luck with my 2700 so I decided that I wouldn't bother overclocking until I needed the extra power (ie when HL2 and Doom 3 come out :D)

Back