• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about memory...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, so I am stuck in a dilemma here. I currently have the following memory on my machine. Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200MHz (2x16GB) and I have been looking at my local store at the Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz (2x16GB). Now I could get those sticks but I am worried it will cause issues when I Mix them and I am rendering on my Unreal Engine 5 program. Worried about crashes and such but if I can use XMP and run 3600MHz or 3200MHz may be worth it. Not sure but what do you guys think?

I will be okay going a different route grabbing a full set of Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit and moving my Corsair Dominator to my other system than selling off my other system's 32GB memory that is RipJaws V 2400MHz or 2600MHz.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!If I can get low profile memory for less than $200 or about that price that would be great too.

It's going to be a crapshoot if it works, honestly. It's more likely to work at the 3200 MHz level (not overclocking the 3200 kit, and more memory/4 slots = more stress on the IMC).

I'd try to get a matching set or a new 4x16GB kit if you need more than the 32GB you have.

It's going to be a crapshoot if it works, honestly. It's more likely to work at the 3200 MHz level (not overclocking the 3200 kit, and more memory/4 slots = more stress on the IMC).

I'd try to get a matching set or a new 4x16GB kit if you need more than the 32GB you have.
Oh, I see well, I think I may end up getting two of the low profile here and move my dominator to my second PC. I don't need the RGB since it will get blocked by the Noctua NH-D15 fans cooling the 5950X.

Question: Is there a reason why I should go with the Dominator over the LPX models? Will it help me with my projects better due to tighter timings?

Offhand, I don't know if your projects are memory timing sensitive or not. You may want to benchmark and see. Run something at the native timings, and then raise the primary timings by a couple and see how what that does.

How'd you like that EKWB presentation? :)

Oh, I see makes perfect sense. As far as the EKWB Presentation I may have missed that I am watching the EK Technology Day 2022: Experience the Evolution of Water Cooling Video at the moment.

Oh... perhaps it was someone else I talked to in that technology day chat when it was live..... lol

lol, no worries. ;) I have been looking at the water cooling stuff and have just been too busy with getting my system balance for my projects instead. Thanks for all the info. I think I have an idea of what I will need to do and kind of go from there.

Just an FYI, I ended up winning a bid for a brand new Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3200MHz ram to match my set that I have currently on the system. I was going to go 3600MHz but I figure the core is 3200MHz and I want as much stability as possible for my Unreal Engine and Unity Projects that I am willing to sacrifice some performance. Besides the sticks are good enough I may be able to overclock them to 3600MHz but I am sure is not needed.

Back