• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help to my memory upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felho81

Hi everyone, I need some help to my memory upgrade. My PC:

Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
Intel Core i5-9400
2×8GB 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 CL14 (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14)

I would like to ask, if I would buy a 2×8GB 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 CL16 (CMK16GX4M2E3200C16) kit, this RAMs will work correctly together to my old memorys in XMP 2400Mhz CL14? Thank you in advance for your answers!

No, it will not work. If they had the same timings/voltages maybe. I have 32Gb (2x16GB) of 3200 C16 and another set of the same exact memory except in 16GB (2x8GB) flavor and they will not play well together.

Your best bet is to get another set of the 3200 Corsair to match the set you already have to avoid problems. Forget trying to make the 2400 ram play with 3200. What will happen is the 3200 will run slower to 2400. Not really the goal you want.

No, it will not work. If they had the same timings/voltages maybe. I have 32Gb (2x16GB) of 3200 C16 and another set of the same exact memory except in 16GB (2x8GB) flavor and they will not play well together.

Your best bet is to get another set of the 3200 Corsair to match the set you already have to avoid problems. Forget trying to make the 2400 ram play with 3200. What will happen is the 3200 will run slower to 2400. Not really the goal you want.
My goal is not to run the slower memory at the clock speed of the faster one, on the contrary, the 2400Mhz is enough for me. Since the SPD clock and voltage of both memory kits are the same, 2133Mhz CL15 1,2V, I think in the worst case they could work together on this performance without XMP. My goal would be exactly that, I would like to operate the faster memory at the slower speed, but I do not know, this XMP speed would be supported by the faster memory?

There is a chance that they will work at the slower speed together, but there are no guarantees. We generally do not recommend mixing ram for this reason. The only way to know for sure if it will work is to try it. You will not harm anything by trying, If it doesn't work simply switch the system off and remove the slower ram.

There is a chance that they will work at the slower speed together, but there are no guarantees. We generally do not recommend mixing ram for this reason. The only way to know for sure if it will work is to try it. You will not harm anything by trying, If it doesn't work simply switch the system off and remove the slower ram.
This. If it works, they will run at the slower speed together. You'd have to manually adjust the speed/voltage/timings.

If you want 32GB (you're using close to or more than 16GB NOW, right? Otherwise, it's a waste................) I'd get a new kit and sell the others. Again, make sure you NEED it as unused RAM is a waste of money. :)

Back