• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coldboot (warmboot) issues @ R7-5800x | B550 Aorus Elite V.2 rev.1.0 | AGESA 1.2.0.5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BROOKLYN ZOO

Registered
Hi there!

I have problems with RAM support on "B550 AORUS Elite V2 (rev 1.0)" with "Ryzen 7 5800x" after Bios update from "F14e" to "F14" - the PC does not boot (coldboot / warmboot) very often after this update.

The initialization does not pass through with 4 RAM slots filled, sometimes I have stability issues even with 2 RAM slots filled only with Memory listed in Qualified Vendors List for this motherboard (Kingston “HX430C15PB3K2/16”).

Seems like my CPU IMC goes crazy on every AGESA version past 1.2.0.4 A since I’ve tried even the latest BIOS version like “F16g” – the Initialization does not pass and the PC does not boot:
  • Fans running in default mode;
  • No signal on Display;
  • Motherboad backplate Led – off;
  • Case buttons’ Leds – off;
  • Case buttons not responding;
  • UEFI not loading.

I’ve tried many things with no result:
- XMP off;
- to change PSU (even using my old high quality test PSUs dated 2008/2013);
- to change GPU;
- to clean RAM;
- turning off SSD/HDD;
- boot on 2x RAM slots – sometimes it boots but same issue happens on 2x RAM slots too;
- MemTest86 RAM: 1st package 2x8 first / 2nd package after (stock/xmp);
- Manual RAM timings same as stock / xmp (including voltage).

Additional data:
  • PSU specs: +12V (70A - 840W) / +5V (20A - 100W) / +3.3V (20A - 100W) / +5VSB (3A - 15W) / input voltage range: 100-240V
  • when PC boots UEFI shows following voltages on test PSU: CPU (1.056 — 1.068) / RAM: (1.368 — 1.380) / 5V: (5.070 — 5.100) / 12V: (12.168)
  • unfortunately I don’t have POST speaker or card
  • the Voltages in AIDA64 looks like (Stress test+/-):
PC Specs:
  • PSU — 850W (Thermaltake Evo Blue 2.0)
  • CPU — Ryzen 7 5800X
  • MB — Aorus B550 Elite V2 Rev 1.0
  • RAM — 2x “2×8GB” DDR4-3000 Kingston HyperX Predator (HX430C15PB3K2/16) - 2 packages 2x8GB each (same model but 8 months production date difference & different chips vendors due to AIDA64)
  • GPU — Powercolor 8GB RX480 Red Devil
  • SSD — SATA (PLEXTOR PX-128M5Pro)
Questions:
  1. Is it possible to find F14e Bios version for my MB since it was working stable with 4 RAM slots filled on this Bios version?
  2. Btw how many times can be BIOS flashed without been damaged and is Q-Flash the best option?
  3. What can I try more to reveal the problem device?
    I’ve contacted Gigabyte but not looking forward to get any help from them in this regard.
Any help would be highly appreciated! Big thanks in advance!

I still have active warranty on my Motherboard but not sure it’s not the CPU broken (IMC)…
PS: I found many similar threads regarding coldboot / warmboot issues with Gigabyte motherboards. Sometimes CMOS reset helps but not for a long time and not for every PC configuration. Many people just used the RMA to return their motherboards.

Attachments

• Attachment.png
    Attachment.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks for reply!

Yeah, DDR4 for sure 😁 I should edit initial post..

Speaking about download link via Aorus website - yeah, it looks like it’s there, but when you try to download it - “no file”.
I even managed to download it from iPhone - blank .zip file 24b size 🥲

Is it safe to rise the SOC voltage just for the use of 4x DDR in stock or XMP, cause I do not use the CPU OC?

What “manual” would you recommend to read on this?

Is it safe to rise the SOC voltage just for the use of 4x DDR in stock or XMP, cause I do not use the CPU OC?
Yes. See what value it is in the BIOS, and raise it 0.1 to 0.2V and see if that helps.

I see now the file doesn't DL (doesn't say NO FILE, though). I'd ask Gigabyte where you can find that BIOS........

What “manual” would you recommend to read on this?
Manual? Go into BIOS, find the SOC voltage and adjust it. It's just messing with one value (for now).

I'll ping our resident memory guy in the meantime.... @Woomack :)

Since it’s safe to raise SOC voltage by 0.1/0.2 - I don’t need manual, thanks! 😉

I’ve sent the ticket to Gigabyte so we’ll see what they say there..

For now I’m looking forward to roll back the BIOS to the previous version, but wonder whether it’s a good idea to use the 1st one published for this motherboard since I’m not worried about any security issues on this PC and just look forward to Stability and Performance.
What you think?

Even if Voltage trick will help is it the right way to solve this issue since there were no problems for 2 years on previous Bios version, right? I mean maybe I should try to find what’s the reason and to solve it instead of using “hacks” if possible?

I would use the latest BIOS I could as there could be multiple things improved. No way would I go back to the first one... no way.

Finding out WHY it happened is going to be incredibly difficult. I don't think it's worth the effort. Knowing likely wouldn't change the solution/work around anyway.

I would use the latest BIOS I could as there could be multiple things improved. No way would I go back to the first one... no way.

Finding out WHY it happened is going to be incredibly difficult. I don't think it's worth the effort. Knowing likely wouldn't change the solution/work around anyway.
Fair enough! I’ll try to roll back to the last available for download right now which is the previous Stable to the last beta I used and had no issues with @ 4 DDR slots which seems to be F13.

Thank you for your help! 👐

I'd try adjusting the SOC voltage before I roll back... you may not need to roll back if that works.
What are the pros for keeping current version or even the latest BIOS version in case SOC voltage helps?

Some of them say that looking forward to fix some Security issues Vendor usually makes some changes that lowers the Performance and Stability. Is that true?
I mean of course I can try to change it, but if it helps what is next: 1) definitely stay out 2) definitely update to the latest Bios 3) check how PC works and then make a move if necessary?

You get the latest and greatest updates. Be it security, stability, or performance. As you've seen, there was some security issues with AMD (and Intel) back then. The mitigations caused minor performance losses. You'd never know unless you were told. Typically, performance and stability get better with newer releases. They can't help security issues that may/may not slow the system down.

1. Stay out of...............what?
2. I'd start on the latest BIOS and add the volage there. Get it to boot with 2 sticks, manually adjust SOC, put four sticks in and see what happens.
3. It seems like you really want to use an old BIOS, lol.... I don't know how to answer this/not sure what you're saying.

Most motherboards automatically adjust SOC up to some value. On DDR4, you can set it up to 1.4V without problems. Problems are only on Ryzen 7000X3D, but all brands locked SOC at 1.30V in official BIOS releases for AM5.

For a 4x8GB you don't need much. Check if it works at auto/XMP, if not then like ED said, add +0.1/0.2V. It shouldn't need more up to the limit for a 1:1 ratio. It will be around 3600-3800.

I got what you are saying, thank you very much for detailed answers!

Not that I wanna use old bios, I’m just afraid to play with it anymore since I had this issue with current F14 and latest F16g versions.

The only version everything was cool with for 2 years is F14e which is unavailable right now.

So when I said “stay out” I meant wheather I should stop playing with Bios in case SOC voltage helps :)

Now I understand that from your point of view it’s better to try to stick to the latest one.

Thanks for your time, much appreciated!

… It shouldn't need more up to the limit for a 1:1 ratio. It will be around 3600-3800.
Hi there and thank you for joining!
What does 1:1 ratio means? Didnt get this part.

By the way, never heard of adjusting SOC voltage before. This adjustment is some kind of a default thing used to fix Stability and Boot issues like first aid or it’s something Overclockers often do which also helps in default cases? Where does this trick come from? Just curious..

All modern CPUs work with ratios. The general performance is not only from CPU or RAM but also from all the links that connect them. In AMD is something like Infinity Fabric. There is also IMC - memory controller in the CPU. In short ... RAM up to ~3600-3800 works at 1:1 IF:IMC ratio. When you set it higher, it won't work at all or switch to a 1:2 ratio. It causes the RAM to work faster, but the link between components works at half speed, so generally, it will be slower.

SOC is just one of many voltages, but it also affects components related to RAM and the memory controller. To stabilize RAM at a higher clock, you have to set it higher. However, up to ~3600, or even higher, it can be at auto. Not recommended configurations, like two kits (4 modules in total), require higher SOC voltage at a higher RAM frequency as the motherboard doesn't have programmed if you use 2 or 4 modules. 4 modules are stressing the memory controller some more.
If you keep RAM at 3000-3200, then you can probably keep SOC at auto. It's hard to say how the PC is acting, reading only some posts.

Cold boot issues are usually related to problems with stability or RAM training (the test stage when the PC starts). It's usually solved with a higher memory controller or RAM voltages. More relaxed RAM timings sometimes help too.

I’m just afraid to play with it anymore since I had this issue with current F14 and latest F16g versions.
Wasn't that the point of this thread, then? To get it working on the latest BIOS I thought? LOL

So when I said “stay out” I meant wheather I should stop playing with Bios in case SOC voltage helps :)
Gotcha. Yes.

Wasn't that the point of this thread, then? To get it working on the latest BIOS I thought? LOL
The point was to make it work on !any Bios as for now I have coldboot/warmboot issues even with 1 kit of RAM (2 slots) without XMP… 😁 Too weeks so far I try to fix it changing hardware units, checking voltages ranges and so on. Unfortunately I’m not that deep into PC hardware issues, just a regular experienced Windows user been able to assemble the PC and make the Software part work the best possible way. For these two weeks I’ve learned many new things so far - that’s the big positive moment..

But the main positive thing is you guys helping me instantly after posting this thread! I just feel I’m not alone and have a kind of roadmap for further actions.
Big up! 👍🏻❤️

I’m not by PC right now, but will try this SOC voltage trick asap!
Post magically merged:

Cold boot issues are usually related to problems with stability or RAM training (the test stage when the PC starts). It's usually solved with a higher memory controller or RAM voltages. More relaxed RAM timing
Thanks for detailed answer!

So SOC voltage is the 1st step to play with.

There is also an option to raise IMC voltage? You also stated about IF… It’s voltage can be (should be) set as well if SOC voltage adjustment does not help?

Sorry if I put the carriage before the hourse..

Last edited:
@EarthDog @Woomack
My dear friends, seems we have a progress - PC booted with 4 RAM slots used @ vSOC 1.2 (it was almost 1.0 at Auto), XMP 3000 (15-17-17-36) and current “problem” Bios (F14).

Testing it with MemTest86 right now.

I would like to switch back my primary PSU and GPU (now I use test ones).
Before I’m sure everything is ok and I can start switching all these cables (test PSU is not cable management plus) could you advise any Software please that can Stress test PC so I save some time testing current settings?

PS: btw, I also have this strange “pixel” artefact sometimes during POST before Bios welcome “press Del” page (screenshot enclosed). Does it show this GPU is living out it’s last days? 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 3
@EarthDog @Woomack
My dear friends, seems we have a progress - PC booted with 4 RAM slots used @ vSOC 1.2 (it was almost 1.0 at Auto), XMP 3000 (15-17-17-36) and current “problem” Bios (F14).

Testing it with MemTest86 right now.

I would like to switch back my primary PSU and GPU (now I use test ones).
Before I’m sure everything is ok and I can start switching all these cables (test PSU is not cable management plus) could you advise any Software please that can Stress test PC so I save some time testing current settings?

PS: btw, I also have this strange “pixel” artefact sometimes during POST before Bios welcome “press Del” page (screenshot enclosed). Does it show this GPU is living out it’s last days? 🙄
Sounds like you might have a flakey "primary" PSU if swapping it out with the "test" PSU solved your RAM instability problem.

The pixels artifact could also be a problem with the display or a cable.

Sounds like you might have a flakey "primary" PSU if swapping it out with the "test" PSU solved your RAM instability problem.

The pixels artifact could also be a problem with the display or a cable.
Thanks for being here with me!

1. Interesting hint on pixel artefact - will try to check... In Windows everything is ok btw, without a slightest bit of such problem.
2. Unfortunately it's not like this - the PSU swap did not do the trick (like the GPU swap as well) - the system still did not boot even on 1 RAM kit without XMP. What did help - is vSOC raising from Auto (~1 in AIDA64) to 1.2. I even have it now stable @ 1.15 (2 RAM kits [4 slots] + XMP). Would like to find the vSOC stable limit as well - but did not do it yet. A lil bit frightened to get instability again (coldboot and warmboot issue) since I will need to start messing with PC again clearing CMOS with battery (GPU out first) and getting 1 kit away to manage to boot again and to raise vSOC before I can boot with 2 kits (current condition)...
I need to do that (find the vSOC stable limit and put the value with a safety margin+) but not ready yet after 2 weeks messing with PC 😁
But I will as well as updating within this thread!

Last edited:
My 2c..

I don't have a ton of experience with Ryzen, mostly just with Zen 3, as I have 3 CPUs. I have a few sets of ram, and I spend some time in various forums. From what I have seen, Ryzen does best with Samsung B-Die. I never see anyone saying they have problems running them, or overclocking them. But I see problems with literally every other chip.

Back