• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

875P Chipsets WILL run PRESCOTTS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

So whats the deal here? WIll the boards such as the Abit IC7 Run Prescott processors??

Also, why is everyone so excited about the MAX 3? I dont see the big deal of it's price tag.. Its not like it uses a new revision of the 875p chipset or something. All it really adds is cooling for mosfets.

Yes the chipset is compatible with prescott, the question is whether or not the power regulator circuit on current boards can.

Thanks for the reply TC..

Is this why Everyone is looking at the Abit MAX 3?? Is that board solving this issue? I heard that a revision may be coming to fix the problem...

Possibly - I haven't paid much attention to it myself. I doubt adding some heatsinks to the mosfets would be enough to handle Prescott if there is indeed a shortcoming with current designs. Maybe it would handle a stock low-end Prescott, but it wouldn't leave much room for overclocking. That's just pure speculation on my part.

Back