• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have multiple systems to build - need ideas on budget builds.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
I'm way out of date on what's good and what's not - I'm reading, but it's a steep learning curve.

So I have to build THREE new PCs, essentially from scratch, so I'd like some input on decent starting points based on projected budgetary constraints, if some of ya'll might not mind. So I'll post 3 different PC builds and ask if you would give me your suggestions.

Each PC will start with something like the following:

Fractal Designs cheap Micro ATX case
32gig GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB) DDR4
EVGA 500W PSU
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 256GB cache HDD
500GB WD Blue M.2 2280 SSD
--------------------------------------------
Total base price ~$300

So I need a CPU, chipset and video card to add to those things for the following potential PCs:

Mom - not a hardcore gamer, likes things like Diner Dash, SIM style games, some online stuff, but nothing really hardcore. I.e., a video card would be nice, better than onboard, but doesn't need lots of graphics power. Base system + $200-400 max (CPU + MB + GPU). $500-600 total?

Step-dad - much more into gaming, still does a lot of old games, but does like to try to run things at higher settings if possible. Enjoys FPS games, etc. Also strategy games with lots of unit rendering like ROME, Age of Empires kind of things. Would like to play newer stuff IF he could manage it. Base system + $500 max (CPU + MB + GPU). Maybe up to $750-800 total.

Son - 15 y/o likes to game online, mostly Destiny 2, and he likes to do GPU rendering projects. Using a 1060GTX now. Will often run a rendering project overnight when he signs off that takes hours to render. I'll probably put a better MB and PSU in this one, might consider 64GB of RAM, better CPU, and would like to step up his GPU significantly. Probably base system + ~700-800 for CPU + MB + GPU. Figure $1000-1200 max total.

---------------------------------------------

As you can see, even with budget builds in mind, I'm going to be spending $2500 or so to get them all up and running. I'd really rather not go over that, the wife will definitely veto more, might even make me cut it down to $2k total. I don't know. :cry:

<edit> If some of ya'll could point me to the better chipsets for these uses, I can definitely build from there based on MB/CPU features that look best, and then my leftover budget I can get the best video cards I can afford. Might move the 1060 out of my son's computer to mom's or step-dad's and save some bucks.

Your builds seem off:

Mom -
4 to 8 GB Ram
EVGA 500W PSU
500GB WD Blue M.2 2280 SSD or regular 500GB HD
If you do a Ryzen 4000 series CPU you shouldn't need a graphics card (like AMD Ryzen 3 4350G 4 Core APU - $149, not an expert about this)

Step-dad - 8 to 16 GB Ram
EVGA 500W PSU
500GB WD Blue M.2 2280 SSD
1060GTX from Son's Computer
Ryzen 5 5600x CPU (if you can find one $299, not an expert about this)

Son -
16 to 32 GB Ram
EVGA 800W to 1000W PSU
2TB SSD
NVidia 3000 series or Radeon 1600 series graphic cards (impossible to find right now)
Ryzen 5 5600x or higher 5000 series CPU (if you can find one, not an expert about this)

This is just what I would recommend.

Ok, point taken, looks like you think I don't need as much RAM as I was thinking of - I've always been a fan of lots of RAM. And around $100 for 32GB just seems like a great 'overkill' amount for a system.

Thanks for the input, I will look some more into the AMD CPUs - I haven't used one since the old Opterons.

Hoping someone can chime in about the benefits of the various chipsets, too.

And around $100 for 32GB just seems like a great 'overkill' amount for a system.
That's the thing though, unused RAM doesn't make your system any faster. It's just wasting money. Obviously, you want some headroom and not max it out, but a good amount for a gaming rig in 2020 is 2x8GB.

I agree with Earthdog...I wouldn't go less than 16 GB of RAM today.

For Mom and Dad, I would do 16 GB of RAM.

For Son, I would do 32 GB of RAM as he is rendering. The general rule for rendering is to have a "base" RAM plus RAM equal to what is in the GPU (is used for paging). So, 16 GB base, and 16 GB for the rendering piece.

Awesome, good to know.

I'm reading and have gotten a fairly good primer today on AMD chipsets, looking like B550 and X570 are good options, but... finding decent budget AMD processors seems to be like unobtanium. Hate having to spend the money to get Intel just due to availability issues. :(

Awesome, good to know.

I'm reading and have gotten a fairly good primer today on AMD chipsets, looking like B550 and X570 are good options, but... finding decent budget AMD processors seems to be like unobtanium. Hate having to spend the money to get Intel just due to availability issues. :(

That is only because the 5000 series CPUs just came out (November 5th) and they are amazing and the NVidia and AMD GPUs just came out and they are amazing as well. People have been waiting a long time for great affordable parts like these, unfortunately all of these items are extremely limited so it is definitely the wrong time to try to obtain any of these. If you are willing to lower your expectations to the generation below of these GPUs and CPUs you should be able to find some excellent deals, being in the middle of Black Friday (Month?). Do a little more expanded research, I think you can find what you want.

I am reading and researching, spending time looking for deals. I'm not in any major hurry to buy, I have until Christmas - just hard not to pull the trigger.

I got a fully and finally approved budget of $3k for all three machines.

Looking at matched machines for my folks, so there is no jealousy, lol. Yeah, for real.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC
G.Skill (2x8GM) Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 CL 16
Asus 1650 Ti 4GB Phoenix
Fractal Designs Focus G Mini MicroATX case
Seasonic S12III 550W
WD Blue 500GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIE 3.0
Seagate Barracuda 2T 7200rpm 256MB cache SATA6 HDD
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
---------------------------------------
Total is ~717 per PC

For my son, something like this:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
MSI 1660 Ti Ventus XS 6GB
32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 CL 16
Coolermaster Masterbox MB520 ARGB ATX case
EVGA 600W PSU
WD Blue 500GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIE 3.0
Seagate Barracuda 2T 7200rpm 256MB cache SATA6 HDD
Coolermaster Hyper T2 cooler
---------------------------------------
Total is ~$1118

Any thoughts on these two setups?

You'll actually be getting a GTX 1650 Super as the 1650 Ti is a laptop GPU. Also, the GTX 1660 Super performs the same as the 1660 Ti at a lower cost.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and Hyper T2 aren't really much better than the AMD stock coolers.

Do Mom and step Dad really need 2 TB of spinning rust?

You'll actually be getting a GTX 1650 Super as the 1650 Ti is a laptop GPU. Also, the GTX 1660 Super performs the same as the 1660 Ti at a lower cost.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and Hyper T2 aren't really much better than the AMD stock coolers.

Do Mom and step Dad really need 2 TB of spinning rust?

Eh. Probably not, but they need SOMETHING. And it's $10 to go from 1T to 2T. I'll have to look into the GPU situation a little more. I know next to nothing about the AMD versions, so that is the next research project this weekend.

I still think you should give your mother or step-dad the son's 1060 (probably should be your mom) it is only about 5 fps slower than a 1650 super, use that money to get your son a much better card than a 1660 ti like a RTX 2060 super.

I still think you should give your mother or step-dad the son's 1060 (probably should be your mom) it is only about 5 fps slower than a 1650 super, use that money to get your son a much better card than a 1660 ti like a RTX 2060 super.

That is an option to look into. A 2060 is a fair step up in price, but would be within my budget, potentially. I only see a couple under $400 on Newegg, and Amazon is a PITA. I'd have to confiscate his card to build theirs which would render his computer unusable unless I put an old card in it, just so he can move his stuff off it onto his new machine.

I'll think about those options somewhat.

But I really will have to put essentially the same card in both of my parents' computers - I thought about building to their needs, but when I discussed it with my wife, we realized my mother will feel shorted and be passive-aggressive if her machine isn't up to the same standards as her husband's - even IF she won't use the capability in the least. It's not worth the $100 or so difference. Might as well get them both the same thing and avoid the problems.

Buy the RTX 2060 Super first, throw it into your son's machine. Nobody would be able to tell the difference between a GTX 1060 and a 1650 TI just by using the machine if everything else is the same.

I am really afraid you are going to end up building your son a computer that is only slightly faster than the one you are replacing, I can't be 100% sure since I don't know your son's original specs. You may only need to buy him a kick-*** video card and an SSD to make him a totally amazing computer. I just am not sure.

Last edited:
@DaveB,

I just wanted to clarify, the 1660 Ti is indeed a desktop part.

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&gpu=GTX 1660 Ti

In my own opinion though, the "super" probably undoubtedly provides better value (in terms of $ per perf.) than the Ti.

Also, my input as far as storage... I myself have amassed an incredible (< than) 1.8 TB. And this includes dumps of my Deskop dir \ My Documents Dir, for the last 10 years. *when I did back it up*

In July of 2020 I built my first new PC in a long time. I chose 1 TB of NVME, and I also bought a WD blue 4TB for less than $90. For that price, I knew it was the drive for me. I hope this will help!

I'm looking more and more at the 2080 route. While I don't think my son will notice any difference in gaming with a 1060, a 1660 Ti or a 2080, as he doesn't play any high end games or high resolution, I think a great GPU and a great multicore CPU should help somewhat in terms of his rendering projects. I don't know that for a fact, I'm not into that stuff, it just stands to reason I would think.

I may have mistyped something up above. All these numbers, and I'm learning as I go.

I am getting a handle on things, though, which is heartening. I think I'll get myself a nice GPU at some point, maybe around Christmas or after the New Year. I don't know why, I don't do anything with it. lol

Maybe I'll take my son's 1060.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I gotta add, you guys are awesome. Thanks for being helpful and not elitist *******s. I don't keep up, as I only build a new machine or do some kind of upgrade usually every couple of years.

I got an offer for a custom PC someone built I couldn't turn down. My son's gaming rig is out of the equation, already spoken for.

<edit> Just for those who may be curious, it is a x570/3700x/2070 Super based system with water cooling and lots (LOTS!) of extras! Very nice.

Last edited:
Back