• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thought on new build I am looking into

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antonio112

Registered
Hello everyone, this is a build I think I've settled on, but I would love to know any information or qualms you have with this build, or if there is anything I need to worry about. I also have a few questions.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/antonio112/saved/hfkX23

1. I checked the clearances, and I think it should be fine, but is a microATX mid tower case suffice for this, or should I go bigger? I have no intention of adding or replacing parts to this build.
  2. Is there any consensus on the RTX 4080 vs 7900 XTX? All I can figure out is the XTX has more VRAM and better pricing, while the 4080 has better performance but less VRAM and more expensive + ray tracing? I don't know how important it is to be using newer gen ray tracing from Nvidia.
  3. Will there be a problem with RAM clearances with the heat sink? From what I could find, I believe the RAM's clearance is about 43 mm.
  4. I don't believe its on the list, but any good alternatives to the K70 Wired Corsair Keyboard? It seems like its my best option, but its out of stock everywhere and highly priced. I am looking for MX Cherry Red keys or Gatreon Reds. I just want a keyboard that uses those, has something similar to iCue, and is not TKL.
  5. For these headphones, do I need a soundcard?
  6. The GPU and CPU are balanced, correct? I shouldn't have any real bottleneck?
Any response to any of these questions would be super helpful, thank you. Additionally, if you think there any alternative parts worth looking into, let me know.

1. You'll have to check gpu length... otherwise it should all be fine

2. You spelled it out. Unless you're playing at 4k with modded textures, the vram won't be an issue at 2560x1440. Ray tracing isn't going anywhere so, I lean nvidia (for other reasons too).

3. Those aren't tall ram, should also be fine. My question is why a $35 air cooler on the flagship cpu? Feels more like a job for a decent aio. :)

4. I'll skip this one.:)

5. ..this one too...not sure if the integrated audio will handle those cans... you selected a cheap motherboard with a dated audio codec though. It's a 3-pin XLR connector which doesn't have a home on motherboards.

6. I mean, you have a flagship-class cpu, so any gpu will be able to stretch its legs.

5. ..this one too...not sure if the integrated audio will handle those cans... you selected a cheap motherboard with a dated audio codec though.

Gah, you posted while I was typing. I should be able to help with this.

@antonio112 - if you're sticking with the 250 ohm version of the 770s, you'd at least want a headphone amp. Like ED said the onboard sound is kinda meh, but that's standard for most middling mATX boards. As for needing a soundcard/external DAC it really depends on what you're looking for.

@freakdiablo - I ninja edited some details about those cans... they run on XLR connector (not USB or 3.5mm), so, at best an adapter, but... I just wouldn't run those nice cans on MEH integrated audio in the first place.

@antonio112 - Are the cans for critical listening (streaming with that microphone) or more for gaming? For around that price, I loved my Arctis 7's (wireless)... also has a mic in the cans.

Is there any consensus on the RTX 4080 vs 7900 XTX? All I can figure out is the XTX has more VRAM and better pricing, while the 4080 has better performance but less VRAM and more expensive + ray tracing? I don't know how important it is to be using newer gen ray tracing from Nvidia.
You might want to look at the RTX 4070 Ti Super being released today at $800.

@freakdiablo - I ninja edited some details about those cans... they run on XLR connector (not USB or 3.5mm), so, at best an adapter, but... I just wouldn't run those nice cans on MEH integrated audio in the first place.

@antonio112 - Are the cans for critical listening (streaming with that microphone) or more for gaming? For around that price, I loved my Arctis 7's (wireless)... also has a mic in the cans.
Mostly for gaming, I wanted to hear some nice crisp audio. The thing is, I don't know how much to spend on a DAC as they are all massively different in prices.

Is there a point in getting wireless headphones? I don't like charging, wired is cheaper, and has less latency, no? I also generally hear that should get audiophile adjacent headphones and any mic you like as it is better than gaming headsets, which sounds like something I would be a fan of. Gaming headsets are expensive, and I've gone through many of them.

I also have an interesting proposition. I play electric guitar, and I plug in by USB into my PC, mostly to play Rocksmith. Cheap and has latency issues, but does the job. Would getting a Focusrite Scarlett Solo kill 2 birds with one stone? I don't know much about audio terminology, but people were saying that it is additionally an external DAC, so couldn't I do this, or get something equivalent to a Focusrite?
Post magically merged:

You might want to look at the RTX 4070 Ti Super being released today at $800.
I just looked at that, but it doesn't sound too good. Money isn't so much of a concern with my build, and the 4070 Ti is meant to compete with 7900 XT, not the XTX. The review for this new release doesn't make it sound that good either:

So if I was looking for a GPU, I think it would be the XTX or the 4080.

Is there a point in getting wireless headphones?
Yes. I don't like the cords, and, at least the one I have (Arctis Nova Pro) has two batteries... each lasting several hours each. For the money, I like them a lot (mostly gaming with the headphones). I don't notice any audio latency...

I don't play guitar so I have no idea what that even is. Sorry! Hopefully someone that plays will see it and give you an answer.

1. You'll have to check gpu length... otherwise it should all be fine

2. You spelled it out. Unless you're playing at 4k with modded textures, the vram won't be an issue at 2560x1440. Ray tracing isn't going anywhere so, I lean nvidia (for other reasons too).

3. Those aren't tall ram, should also be fine. My question is why a $35 air cooler on the flagship cpu? Feels more like a job for a decent aio. :)

4. I'll skip this one.:)

5. ..this one too...not sure if the integrated audio will handle those cans... you selected a cheap motherboard with a dated audio codec though. It's a 3-pin XLR connector which doesn't have a home on motherboards.

6. I mean, you have a flagship-class cpu, so any gpu will be able to stretch its legs.
is an AIO really necessary? I've seen online that its more or less the same performance for much more money, but it might save on space in a smaller build. I think for now I'd want to stick to air cooling, and if necessary for air cooling, I might have to go bigger, but let me know your thoughts on that.

Well as E_D stated; for a flagship CPU, you're going to use a cheapo air cooler? A good AIO will do a better job at cooling it with very little noise.

My vote between the 2 would be an AIO.

is an AIO really necessary? I've seen online that its more or less the same performance for much more money, but it might save on space in a smaller build. I think for now I'd want to stick to air cooling, and if necessary for air cooling, I might have to go bigger, but let me know your thoughts on that.
Thought I just did, lol. While you'll be fine with a dual tower air cooler, I'd want 3x120mm AIO on it for best results and lower noise. But since you're in a smaller case, not sure if you can fit 3x120mm AIO in it (which is what I'd suggest) in the first place.

So if I was looking for a GPU, I think it would be the XTX or the 4080.
Maybe look at the 4080 Super. It's cheaper than a 4080 and faster (until perhaps some price drops)..... which is what the Super cards are supposed to do. ;)

Thought I just did, lol. While you'll be fine with a dual tower air cooler, I'd want 3x120mm AIO on it for best results and lower noise. But since you're in a smaller case, not sure if you can fit 3x120mm AIO in it (which is what I'd suggest) in the first place.

Maybe look at the 4080 Super. It's cheaper than a 4080 and faster (until perhaps some price drops)..... which is what the Super cards are supposed to do. ;)
lol I meant if I should go for a bigger case for air cooling instead of AIO because of the expensiveness. Seems like you guys are all saying AIO, so I have to look into this. Admittedly I'm scared of any liquid cooling, so I've been trying to avoid it. Loud fan noises have also never bothered me.
Post magically merged:

Oh. This is very new. It looks like its coming out in a week? It seems like it is going to impossible to get for 1k MSRP, right? Should I wait on that?

Last edited:
120watts will saturate that heatsink pretty quick when gaming. If you're dead set on air cooling, I would suggest a better, beefier heatsink.

I have that Peerless heatsink on my son's 3600X. He doesn't game on the pc, so for that purpose it works just fine.

Admittedly I'm scared of any liquid cooling,
If this was 15+ years ago and you were using a motorcycle radiator and misc. tubing, I'd be on board. But since then, watercooling has come a long way. Today, we have AIOs that are black boxes/sealed to the consumer. While the chance of a leak is greater because there is water (compared to air where there's none), it's still awfully rare, especially in a system that won't be touched.

I'm a hardware reviewer and use a 3x140mm AIO. It's been mounted and messed with DOZENS and DOZENS of times without consequence. I also use AIOs in all my personal systems. I wouldn't sweat it.

So......for a bigger case, it's up to you. You'll be fine on air in that chassis, but you may need to turn the fans up a bit. You're mostly gaming, too, so the heat load isn't that great compared to, say, running renders on the CPU where all cores and threads are pegged. So, I think you'll be fine with air, but it just feels dirty to pair a flagship-class CPU with a budget board and air cooler, LOL.

As far as audio, I use the integrated one, Realtek ALC4082 (flagship class), and the board has a built-in amp/DAC. You may be able to skip the sound card and just upgrade the board (better power delivery for the CPU, higher-end options) and run with that.

Oh. This is very new. It looks like its coming out in a week? It seems like it is going to impossible to get for 1k MSRP, right? Should I wait on that?
You'll have to wait and see. A 4070 Super is also out/coming out and is less expensive/supposedly not selling. But for your res, I'd stick with a 4070 Ti S or greater.

If this was 15+ years ago and you were using a motorcycle radiator and misc. tubing, I'd be on board. But since then, watercooling has come a long way. Today, we have AIOs that are black boxes/sealed to the consumer. While the chance of a leak is greater because there is water (compared to air where there's none), it's still awfully rare, especially in a system that won't be touched.

I'm a hardware reviewer and use a 3x140mm AIO. It's been mounted and messed with DOZENS and DOZENS of times without consequence. I also use AIOs in all my personal systems. I wouldn't sweat it.

So......for a bigger case, it's up to you. You'll be fine on air in that chassis, but you may need to turn the fans up a bit. You're mostly gaming, too, so the heat load isn't that great compared to, say, running renders on the CPU where all cores and threads are pegged. So, I think you'll be fine with air, but it just feels dirty to pair a flagship-class CPU with a budget board and air cooler, LOL.

As far as audio, I use the integrated one, Realtek ALC4082 (flagship class), and the board has a built-in amp/DAC. You may be able to skip the sound card and just upgrade the board (better power delivery for the CPU, higher-end options) and run with that.

You'll have to wait and see. A 4070 Super is also out/coming out and is less expensive/supposedly not selling. But for your res, I'd stick with a 4070 Ti S or greater.
I believe I am going to wait and see then for the GPU. Do you have any recommendations for a motherboard then? I didn't know mine was a budget one. What makes an expensive one better? And any AIO recommendations?

Back