• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3600x to 5xxx upgrade on x570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hello all, my build is in my sig.

I have two options, just wondering what you think. As I got the 4070Ti, I've been able to game at ultra with ray tracing, exactly what I wanted (upgraded from AMD cards, first time with NVidia now in a decade, only due to tracing). But I just see my CPU is an old part so I am wondering if it's worth the upgrade these:

1. CPU to either 5800x or 5800x3D. This machine is not only for gaming, but for everything, so would I be losing a lot going with the 3D or is it the only way to go?
2. RAM - will go with 3600mhz CL18 2x16GB, worth it? Or just add 2x8 at 3200mhz?
3. A pci-e4 2TB Samsung 980pro to replace the 1TB pci-e3.0 (I would get a pcie card to hold the current 1TB drive with 4x speed)

Is any of this worth it? As I game, I get over 100fps with ray tracing, all on ultra, with DLSS, sometimes even without DLSS, on 1440p and have no plan for 4k in the foreseeable future. In Valhalla for example, my GPU is only using 50% at ultra at 1440p so I figure there is room for a better CPU, in Hogwarts Legacy I get stutters, that may be due to ram, or just bad game as most people are complaining about this.

The other alternative is to do nothing, and wait for a year or so, and get the next gen AMD platform when it comes out (not this first gen), then sell my current rig with an older video card (no way I'm upgrading that again, but I have a Vega 56 and a couple RX580s lying around)

If I go with the above options, I won't upgrade for 3 years probably, compared to the last option of upgrading the whole rig in a year and sell the current rig.

Thanks for any opinions.

1. By everything what exactly do you mean? Productivity and browsing you'll never know the difference. Rendering and other heavily multi-threaded CPU intensive tasks would be better served by the 5900x for the same or similar price as the 5800x3d.

2. At this point it depends on the price difference and how much you like 'knowing' you got the last little bit out of the system. I doubt you'll ever notice a difference in real world performance. Also many 3200 CL16 kits could do 3600 CL18 with a little extra voltage. For a new system 32GB is standard but I don't think I would upgrade unless you had a specific application using more than you have.

3. Again if you need the extra capacity then sure, but 3.0 vs 4.0 you're not likely to even notice the difference unless you're routinely moving very large files around.

I am wondering if you're gaming at 1440p how much CPU will matter, especially if you're pinning settings. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell but a program like MSI After Burner or the Riva Tuner plug in for HWiNFO64 can help you figure out if you are CPU limited or not. You have to remember that while the difference between 3600x and 5800x3d might be big on a benchmark, those systems are designed to show the most difference between the part being reviewed. You also have to keep in mind the max refresh of your monitor, if you're over that number or the GPU is limiting performance at whatever settings you're using, you might not see much difference with a new CPU.

That is precisely why I'm asking the question. On the one hand, I do see that it's quite the jump from 3600x to 5800x3D, especially in gaming, but I don't seem to need any more gaming performance at all, at 1440p everything runs perfectly on highest settings, with ray tracing ON, and DLSS vs DLAA is visually the same so if I really need a few extra frames I can always put DLSS on.

So it boils down to whether it's worth the upgrade to 5800x with 32GB and keep that for next 3 years, vs keep the system as is and sell it in a year and then buy all new components to go with the 4070ti with the next AMD generation and their x670 AM5 platform.

As far as RAM goes, there are times where I feel like 16GB is a bit low, although this is rare, but really I would be fine with just adding 2x8gb 3200 CL18, but I heard it's a crapshoot whether it'll work or not, people say 2x16gb is always better for compatibility (if not performance). Even if I get the identical Corsair Vengeance CL16, who knows if the board will like 4 sticks with XMP settings.

The pci-e4.0 is due to my main windows drive being the 1TB and it's definitely lacking, so since 4.0 is on sale now and really good price for top of the line 2TB space and top speed, I figure why not, and that 1TB drive would still come in handy either as an external USB 3.2 or via a 4x pcie card.

My monitor is 144Hz so anything up to 144fps is great, I get over 100fps in all games at ultra, so I'm happy already.

As far as 5900x, I don't need that at all, I rarely do things that require such power, and since gaming is 50% of use, the 5800x3D would probably be better than the 5900x for me.

Don't be fooled by reviews, they just use box stock settings. When tuned, the 5900X is a 5150MHz monster.

5800X or X3D.. really tough to say. X3D is great for games, but for everything else, its just a 4450MHz 5800X, with power limits that can be decreased, but not exceeded.

X3D seems to shine at 1080p.. don't know about you but I dropped that res many many moons ago.

I would say that in the next three years things substantially better than the 5800x3d will be around. My general advice is that if you're happy with the performance then don't upgrade.

For memory, sometimes yeah it can be tough to match, but also I think 3200 CL18 is a pretty low bar. I'm sure they used a lot of different ICs in the LPX, especially at that rating. You can either risk $40 and it not work, or spend an extra $40 ($80 for trident z neo 3600MHz) for the new kit and know it will work. Honestly as much as I want to say go for four sticks, I would probably just get a new kit at that price.

For the SSD, this is the upgrade that makes the most sense. You're out of storage, buy more storage. You might need to check your manual to see if anything you're using needs an M.2 slot to be open, but I think you should be able to drop in a 4.0 M.2 in whichever slot is open and be fine. I don't think the hassle of a new windows install is worth the bonus to move it over, but that's 100% a personal call.

Back