• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Choosing Between 2 Different CPU's for Mini Itx build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Hey everyone,

I really want some opinions. There isn't allot of info out there on the performance comparison between the 13900hx and a desktop CPU such as 13700k.
I am replacing my laptop that I use for video editing and content creation, and I have a fundamental choice to make.
I can either go with a traditional mini ITX board and get the 13700k for the exact same price as getting the Minisforum AR900i.
For those not familiar with that the link is here:

The cost for both choices is the same. I am probably going with a 8L case like this one:

(because of the portability, remember I am replacing a laptop that travels 5 times a week. Any better suggestions are welcome)

So the two things I am weighing are heat and performance.
I will not be gaming much, if at all, but simply editing 4k video in Davinci Resolve and After Effects.
I will need to fit a reference length GPU.

The MB with the 13900hx will obviously be easier to cool, and it has just about all of the features one would ever need.
And it has a two year warranty. But of course, there is no separating the CPU in case of MB failure. (which in all honestly, is rather rare).

But the 13700k with an Asus itx board is also an option. The CPU fan would most likely be limited to a low profile option.

So, any thought on this mess I am about to start putting together? Would the 13000k be a better performer than the 13900hx?
I've read that the 13900hx outperformed the 13700k in multicore geekbench, but that was a one off comparison.

And BTW, nice to see everyone after an extended hiatus ;)

if your needs are really small and portable, i would go with that i9. from what i can tell the HS is using 2 or 4 heat pipes. being that LP its hard to say how the temps will be. depending on the case i would try to mount the best 120mm fan i could on it. with how open that case is, it would be a good match imo. hard to say on the gaming side of that i9 your looking at. yes the i9 will do better in multithreaded apps, 8P+16E cores on the i9 vs 8P+8E cores on the i7. taking everything into consideration, i would go with that i9 mobile setup.

The mobile CPU is a much better idea for SFF. Expect the 13700K/14700K to run at 200W+ during load and throttle pretty much all the time under max load. All those who say they have an SFF and 250W TDP CPU that doesn't throttle simply lie or don't know how to test it right.
Performance-wise, I would say look at what the motherboard has to offer and if it has enough USB, proper network connection, and other things. The CPU will be fast anyway, and I highly doubt you notice even 10-20% in performance (or you run something that needs 10h+ to finish.
If you go with the desktop version, then the 14700K is not so much more expensive than the 13700K, and it has more cores.

About the case. If you decide on a desktop CPU+mobo, want a good air cooler, and don't want to play with all these AIOs, then get https://www.amazon.com/KXRORS-S400-...duct_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&tag=overclockerforum-20 I have one and it supports large tower coolers + 4 slim 120mm fans for additional airflow.

For "mobile desktop" better would be AMD like this - https://store.minisforum.com/collections/amd-®-ryzen-®/products/minisforum-bd770i , but the 16-core version is not available yet, so it will be slower in multitasking than the Intel mobo

I was thinking of ordering one of Minisforums mobos, but I'm not fully convinced because of limited BIOS and RAM support. Well, JEDEC specs will work, but everything is limited to the CPU specs, and there is nothing to adjust in BIOS. It also doesn't officially support 24/48GB memory modules, but you could use it if the PC is for rendering and other more professional work. Since they change products quite often, additional support (especially in some months/years) can be limited.

If you don't need a discrete graphics card then you may consider this mini PC - https://store.minisforum.com/collections/amd-®-ryzen-®/products/minisforum-um780-xtx It shouldn't be much slower, and you have everything in one small package. It's also significantly cheaper since most things are in the package.

Well, as always, I listen to what yall tell me. I am leaning away from the minisforum idea because
1) I can't get them to answer a question through email and I haven't even bought yet (bad sign)
2) Shipping will take forever, as they haven't started shipping yet I think
3) There will likely be customs charges

So now it looks like the traditional route.
I can either up the size of the case a bit or go with a lower wattage CPU.
I need power though, because some 4k editing can lag on the timeline.

Not sure the 13400 is enough.

how much are you wanting to spend? i would think for the 4k lagging you would want higher through put from the drive. get a board with a PCIE 5.0 with the Crucial T700 read 12,400 MBps/ write 11,800 MBps, this is for the 2tb and 4tb drives. where as the Samsung 990 4tb read 7450MBps / write 6900MBps, same speed for the 2tb drive. while the trade blows if you have the $$ go with a 7900x or the intel 14700k both are about the same price, pair with your brand pcie 5.0 board of choice.

Hmm, well my current laptop is an aging i7-7700 (desktop cpu) with 1060 laptop GPU. I am sporting gen 3 nvme, got some faster ones for the new build. I really thing it's the CPU that's stuttering. Just outdated me thinks.

Woomack, it's funny you mention that case, I clicked on your link and it was the same case I was looking at earlier lol.
How do you like it? Portable enough for 2/3 days a week commute? Do you think that I could run a 13th or 14th gen without bouncing off the throttling in there? Of course, 14700k would be nice but not sure I could add enough fans. I was looking at the S300, S400, S500 and the G200 which is what you have I think.

It's funny, things have changed SO much since the "old days". Night and day difference since my last times here.
Evilsizer, is that Hamilton or Petty (#40) ;)

I have 7800X3D + Noctua NH-U12A + RTX4070 + 700W Corsair SP700 PSU (runs passively for most of the time) in that case, running 24/7 and gaming on it when I get back from work. 7800X3D could be replaced with 7700X, 7900X or 7950X for more threads/higher clock. These AMDs heat up a lot (X3D not so much), but still less than Intel. The G200 supports 4x 120x15mm fans.

Btw. Minisforums include customs fees and shipping in the total costs. It's described on their website. Shipping is probably in a month for the Intel mobo. Right now, you can order the AMD mobo with ~1 week shipping. I wanted one of those mobos, but I'm not convinced by support and limited BIOS. The mini PC is more convincing as it's like add RAM+SSD and go. When I get a motherboard, then I want to make some more adjustments.

petty#40, all about that superbird man!
Sorry for the OT. That's a Petty Enterprizes car driven by Pete Hamilton. Richard drove the #43 from about 1960 to 1992, when he retired from driving. :)
I love the superbird too!

I recommend SFX PSU, so it won't take so much space, and any 80+ Gold SFX is probably good quality (or I missed something). Even Corsair SF450/450W will be enough if you decide to add a ~200W TDP graphics card.

yea go with a SFX psu but get a higher wattage one. OP kinda sounded like you might go with a higher up GPU. im running a 3070 not oc and the pc is not oc, with a SS620 bronze and the psu fan screams. could be my room being on the warmer side but even when im cold in here it still does it. Other then the non-oc cpu/gpu, got 8gbx2 ddr4, i have 2 2.5in ssds. I did run a 1060 6gb with various setups cpu oc and not, using a silverstone 450, it never screamed.

Corsair SFX PSUs are great but not cheap. It's still worth it as they are nearly silent (run passively for most of the time in my PCs, no coil whine, etc.)
FSP or Lian-Li SFX series are good too, but they have long cables (especially FSP) and you can hear the fan under higher PC load. Enermax is also good, but it makes a weird fan-clicking noise when it switches between passive and active mode (at least mine does).

Ooops, I didn't check back here before I completed the ordering.
I am going with an Acer Bitfrost Intel Arc 770 (have one in my desktop and it is the bee's knees for video editing).
I probably should have known better, but I got a shorter 140mm ATX PSU (I have always had great luck with Seasonic)
I also got 2 slim 120mm fans and one regular for exhaust. I think that's it....
Oh, and two 15.6 portable monitors. They each weigh only 1.5lbs and look pretty darn good.

Hope the PSU fits with the GPU.....Everything comes Sunday.

On a side note, I got the Asus z790-I Itx board. It has two thunderbolt ports on the IO. Does anyone know if they are likely to switch to the discrete GPU when
required by software?

You guys will have to forgive me, I got old since my OC days.....

Igpu is great for encoding some things, but the arc a770 blows past the 4060 in general performance and rendering.
I guess it really depends on the Codec. Davinci Resolve is my primary editing software.

Well, the PSU is NOT going to work. Even though it is only 140mm in length, its still too long. There just isn't any room for the PSU cables without canting the GPU.
Looks like a SFX PSU is now on the way.

I believe the TB papers are a pass-through for the discrete gpu. If you need to use the igpu, it will be through the hdmi/displayport.

Well, the PSU is NOT going to work. Even though it is only 140mm in length, its still too long. There just isn't any room for the PSU cables without canting the GPU.
Looks like a SFX PSU is now on the way.

I love how case manufacturers show renders with a PSU but without all the cables ;) That's why I said about the SFX PSU with short cables ... not even SFX-L, as it's often too long.

I think its a neat little machine. However, I don't think it will be fun running the power in the case. I saw them install the PSU but they skipped right past the plugging in phase. But if you dig it, give it a try.

And I just scrolled up and it looks like the PSU has been discussed. Good luck in your search! :salute:

Back