• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help choosing a mobo for a build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

so im building a cheap gaming computer for a friend who cant afford to buy let alone build one, im using mostly used parts i had lying around my apartment. i.e. my 1050ti that was collecting dust a used atx case from 2002 ddr3 leftover from an old am3 build that i parted out etc.

anyhow i have settled on socket 1150 the only issue i have is the motherboard i wanna use has no vrm cooling and i wanna put an i7 4790 non k cpu in it but im worried that with no vrm heatsink the cpu will be to much for the vrm's thought should i be worried or no? below is a picture of the motherboard i wanna use the only orher issue i have is the atx case only has room for one rear 60mm case fan and one 60mm front case fan so not a lot of airflow should i be worried or will the 4790 be ok even with the lack of vrm heatsinks?

this is the mobo i wanna use. i got the mobo used for 40$ a few months ago if it matters

Attachments

• 91k09fw3zZL.jpg
    91k09fw3zZL.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 4
ASUS says it will work with i7 4790. How long, no one knows. It shouldn't be so bad if on the CPU will be a cooler that removes some hot air from VRM area.
If I see it right then the mobo has 3+1 power phases (or 2+1+1 or something), so it may run hot under full load.
Since you already have everything then you can't make much besides adding some airflow. I would put it together and run some tests. Check in software like hwinfo64 how high are various temp sensors and if voltages are not too far from reference values. As long as it stays in reasonable ranges then it's fine.
VRMs are designed to run up to 105°C+. People usually panic when see 70°C. However, too high temps for too long may reduce mobo's life. Hard to say how much.

What he said, lol.

I'd focus on airflow with that CPU/mobo combination for sure. That power delivery is not made for high-end CPUs. Very few phases for Vcore, weak 50A MOSFETs without a heatsink...scary.

Back