• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC (error correction) overclocking possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disorganizer

Registered
Hello,

I'm getting ready to buy a P4 2.4C, Abit IC7, and a matched pair of 512MB RAM (for a total of 1GB) soon, but am realizing that the highest ECC ram I can find on Pricewatch.com is PC3200 (400MHz).

As I'm not yet versed with 875 P4 overclocking (I'm currently an Athlon XP2100 user), could anyone tell me what overclocking options I have with the IC7+2.4C when using PC3200 ECC RAM?

If want my memory at near 400MHz (because I'm very much in need of stability), I'm assuming that I can raise the CPU multiplier--but is there any performance benefit to doing this since the memory is not out of sync?

Thank you,
Jon

Your board needs to have ECC support for your memory. You can overclock with ECC enabled, but your overclocked memory performance will have a small hit. But you still can overclock normal.

Thanks for replying. The Abit IC7 is 875, so it has ECC support. As far as overclocking the memory, I prefer not to due the importance of stability. I suspect, however, the 2.4C CPU and the IC7's FSB would easily overclock without risk. But because ECC RAM is not available above PC3200 (400MHz), I'd be forced to run the system asynchronously from the memory. Does this benefit the performance of a 875 P4 system at all? Or will the non-overclocked memory's bottleneck snuff out all performance gains from CPU/FSB overclocking?

Thanks,
Jon

Back